Thinking of buying a caravan

KD

Syd - 2007-10-27 2:23 PM

"there are a few caravaner's on here such as Syd who I believe has just returned from a trip to Spain. who may be of more help. like Syd says tyres/tyre pressure and loading are also critical".

Hi Judge

I run a Tabbert 22ft X 8ft plus towbar weighing in at 1800k before loading.

I believe the width of our caravan gives it a lot of stability, plus it's weight and the four wheels.

I learned very early on that loading is REALLY REALLY critical if you are going to overtake or travel quickly. I always get the Caravan level when standing and hooked up to the towing vehicle, it's essential.

I had the caravan for three years and changed all tyres before the Spain trip, finding out then that I had been on the wrong tyres all those years.

The improvements in handleing was most noticable when travelling at 70mph + and overtaking lorries, there was virtually no weaving at all and nothing inside the caravan had moved when we reached our destination.

And yet again we have a caravanner who believes that because he hasn't had an accident yet he is immune to the forces of nature and the laws of phyiscs!

Towing a near two Tonne caravan at 70MPH plus!! Please Syd whenever you take it out on the road, post a detailed route map of where you intend to go so we sane people can avoid you and your impending doom!

D.

In edit: After every caravan accident where the caravan has overturned the owner has been heard to say "its never done that before" 8-)

Like it Howie

Before making such sweeping statements one should be aware certain facts that the critic doesn't know.

Anyway, no worries, Im ok,

I'm just letting it pass without any comment.

Guest Tracker

As something of an expert at taking flak Syd, I too never let it bother me!

Carry on the good work because whilst the 'angry brigade' are lambasting you they are giving me a break!

Syd - 2007-10-27 9:36 AM

Hi Judge

Most important thing that I find is that you absolutely must have a correctly loaded caravan, correctly ballanced vehicle makes speed a lot safer.

Also make sure that your caravan has the correct tyres fitted because that really does make a difference too.

I travel between 70mph and 80 mph most of my European holidays because my caravan is very stable at that speed, I would not attempt to beat any motorhome that overtook me because I know I would loose anyway

Spotted this and thought it would come in useful for someone.

TOWING stability expert Joss Darling has demonstrated the dangers of poor caravan loading.

Based on the Bailey stand at the NEC show this month, the University of Bath lecturer demonstrated, using the sort of running treadmill found in a fitness club, a model car and a trailer with moveable weights, how, as long as the bulk of the caravan’s payload is distributed over the axle, the outfit remains stable at speeds in excess of 60mph – even when subject to quite powerful lateral forces (i.e. an overtaking HGV or a sudden lane-change manoeuvre).

But when the payload is repositioned at the rear of the caravan, the outfit becomes ‘twitchy’ at much lower speeds, while at higher speeds, even a relatively modest lateral movement can trigger a pendulum effect which ends in a catastrophic ‘snake’.

Dr Darling said: "If you need to stow heavy objects like a big awning or a couple of cases of wine, then the place to put them is directly over the caravan’s axle."

Before you buy, do bear in mind that there is quite a bit of resistance to twin axle caravans on French sites.  Not all by any means, but something to bear in mind when planning overnight stops.  Some won't allow them at all, others just charge penal rates.  Problem stems from travellers' preference for twin axles.

Guest Le Thou
Another reason apart from the "traveller" aspect on French sites,and it's mainly the municipal sites, that they don't allow twin axle caravans on sites is that the tend to churn up the ground/grass whilst manouvring them into position.

We have a TA Bailey and it is far more stable than our SA Avondale that it replaced. Nothing wrong with the Avondale and I assume it was representative of most SA caravans. It seemed on a par with previous caravans.

One thing I have herd though is that some layouts where you have a rear kitchen and the bathroom towards the rear of the caravan does make for a "twitchy" caravan to tow.

Based upon the research from Bath this would make sense. I for one would not like to have to load stuff forward of the axle to balance. Far better to be able to load over the axle.

As regards the TA touring in France - never had a problem but we do ring/email ahead and use site recommended by others who can vouch for their acceptance of TA caravans.

So we have never had a problem and most people with TA's say that whilst some sites do not take TA's - overall the problem is overblown.

Only thing I miss about my SA caravans is the ability to turn them "on a sixpence" in the Close where I live. As for manoeuvring on site I would say that the TA is more forgiving and we have never caused any damage.

Again I would say that having had both, the negative hype re TA's is a good story but mostly a work of fiction.

Having a Toyota Landcrusier is no reason to not have a Motorhome as well! I also have a two axle (very old and mostly DIY) trailer for carrying a ton and a half of Pro-Grow at a time. At other times it gets pressure washed, a canvas body dropped on and used to carry motorcycles and gazebo,s to shows.

C.

Clive - 2007-11-04 10:36 PM

Having a Toyota Landcrusier is no reason to not have a Motorhome as well! I also have a two axle (very old and mostly DIY) trailer for carrying a ton and a half of Pro-Grow at a time. At other times it gets pressure washed, a canvas body dropped on and used to carry motorcycles and gazebo,s to shows.

C.

Clive, are you awright there??

On our holidays we have taken any number of funny things with us, many of which I have tried previously, on another thread, to give away.

Some of those things one could maybe stretch ones imagination and maybe just understand why it was purchased in the first place and what use it could concievably have been put to when away from home,

NEVER EVER have I even given the slightest thought to taking a ton and a half of Pro Gro with me.

What ever do you use it for when you are in France??

Er, I fink I must ave got sum fings mixed up a bit. D Pro gro is 4 der gardin, France next week is for der Beaujolly and the big trailher is sometimes used to carrry a noisel diesel 3.5KVA generator, but not two kamp siets.

I ope thts cleerer.

Archived