French Autoroutes. Use your credit card.

Ralph

Just read a rather crappy article in the CC magazine which mentioned the difficulty of finding change for the tolls on French Autoroutes and it occurred to me that first timers may not be aware that it's not necessary.

They all take credit cards, even if the toll is only a few Euros. In fact I never use cash at all as it's easier just to let them swipe the card. No need to sign anything or punch in your PIN either.

Guest Tracker

Except that we found two that would not take our CC - which did cause some delay and quite a noisy queue until an equally irate woman came out and demanded cash!

I don't know to this day what she said except that it cost me 15.35 euros - which was less than I had expected to pay!

So it does pay to have cash handy too - otherwise I agree - card payment does tend to be easier.

On some tolls you can see in advance how much it is, on some you can see as you arrive at the booth, and on some you have to wait to be told how much and that can get confusing too!

If in doubt, or confused, simply shrug shoulders, smile broadly and give them a 50 euro note!

There's always one, or in your case, Richard, 2 :-D

I've seen some unmanned tolls as well where you'd be in trouble if the card doesn't work :-S As you rightly say, never rely on the card working although I've never (yet) had a problem...

Archived