Central Locking on the new Tranny

Jackal

Thought my new van had this as standard but hasn't.

My old Ducato had it but I'm not entirely sure it was standard. More likely part of the Sigma Cat 1 alarm that had been fitted.

A costly oversight I know but am having it fitted in conjunction with a Cat 1 alarm.

Cost for the Central Locking is £150, in excess of the £350 already paid for the alarm and sensors for the habitation and storage doors.

Has anyone else done, or is anyone seeking to do the same?

Guest JudgeMental

mine likewise, and I did not bother getting it fitted. I paid circa £350 for cat 1 with PIR covering habitation and cover for garage door as well.

Personally I don't think its worth worrying about, for two doors and the amount of time we use camper. on a 4 door car a different matter.

I suspect the decision taken by a manufacturer of light commercial vehicles whether or not to fit central-locking as standard to a particular model is primarily market driven. If the vehicle in question is a panel-van with doors front, side and rear, then central-locking is an obvious selling-point: if it's a simple chassis-cab design with just two doors at the front, then central-locking is likely to be viewed as unimportant by a potential buyer. There's no doubt that a central-locking system will be more expensive than manual locks, so its omission will be a useful cost saver.

More generally, the exact standard specification of a vehicle can differ significantly according to its intended national market. For example, in 2004 when I was considering buying a Transit-based motorhome, the standard specification of Mk 6 Transits marketed in Germany included driver and passenger air-bags and ABS, in the UK you got a driver's air-bag and ABS, while in France you just got a driver's airbag. It was interesting at the time to note that LHD Eura Mobil Profilas had 2 air-bags but RHD versions just had one. This was despite Eura Mobil's UK brochure saying that 2 air-bags were standard.

Comparing UK and France 2004 Transit brochures with regard to door-locking, the only UK-market model with manual locks as standard was the 12-seat minibus, while the rest had remote central-locking with or without double-locking according to model. 2004 French-market Transits differed, with all models having remote central- + double-locking as standard, but with the option on the majority of models to have manual locks instead.

I would have thought £150 is a very fair price for converting a Transit's manual cab-locks to central-locking. Besides the cost of the necessary parts, you are probably looking at a couple of hours worth of labour and that's definitely not cheap nowadays. If you think it's excessive then shop around, but I doubt you'll do much better.

I have a Ford Transit, latest model with a coachbuilt conversion (Dethleffs Globevan2). The motorhome has remote controlled central locking and only one keyhole on the drivers door, none on the other. My dealer told me, that is standard if central locking is fitted. Does anybody know wether this is true?

ollybear

Hi Ollybear and welcome. As far as I'm aware yes that is true. Do you have the double locking feature as well? Try locking with the fob then pressing the lock button again and if it clunks again then you probably do. This disables the internal door handles so if someone breaks a window for example they still can't open the door.

D.

Hi and thank you for the reply, yes, double locking is fitted, as well as self locking when the car starts rolling (apparently this can be disabled), and separate unlocking of drivers door (press once) and second door (press twice). It took me quite a while to understand all this features, haven`t found time to explain it all to my wife yet.´

ollybear

Archived