Christmas downgraded?

CliveH

Hi Syd, first of all your photos need to be shrunk to less than 100KB. Then when you make a posting at the bottom is a tick box labelled "attach a file after posting". Tick this box and the next screen will give you a "browse" facility. Use this to locate your newly shrunk photos and select them. They should then be posted along with your words.

D.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Dave

Will post tomorrow as I have to take Lee ten pin bowling and get beaten again, then round to the pub with him so all the guys can take the mickey out of me because of how "poorly" I played.

It really does please him plus he fancies the barmaid, don't we all, and she praises him up no end and usually gives him a kiss and cuddle when we leave.

Then back home where his mum then takes the mickey, plus his teacher next day and everyone else who calls at our home that day.

The joys of fatherhood

I for one would be very pleased to see our public ("bank") holidays completely separated from religious festivals.

Religious dates are for those who practise a faith to celebrate particular aspects of it; public holidays are about time off work and (nowadays, for most people) getting away for a few days. Not the same thing!

People with a religion should be free to enjoy it, to celebrate it, to "propagate" it through peaceful persuasion, and to mark out whatever dates they value. But let those with no religion at all who just want to party get on and enjoy themselves too. Retailers and other businesses should have the same freedom.

The usual line is that our public holidays were originally "HOLY days, way back when Britain was a "Christian Country." But it never was - there's no such thing, because Christianity is about personally following Christ, which has to be an individual decision. The Christian faith (like most other religions) tends to get distorted once it attains power, or even respectability. There are very human reasons for that which I won't go into here, but it does mean that the Christian faith is more "Christlike" when its followers don't have the power to dictate to other people, as long as we have the freedom to proclaim, discuss, and persuade.

So as long as we're allowed to join in the debate, I don't want my faith, or any other, to have special privileges of any kind.

Tony

Guest Tracker

If only the reality was so sensible, open minded and tolerant Tony we could then change from being the United Kingdom to the Utopia Kingdom!

But that would mean tolerance and understanding from everybody and that seems more like pure fantasy than reality in the current world of extremism and madness.

Christmas isnt so much fun anymore when you're older well thats what I think . Mum always used to say dont wish your years away when I wanted to be old enough to go to the disco & pubs your time will come she'd say.

Now I find myself telling my 18 well 19 at christmas the same lifes not much fun when all you get is the bill for it :D .

So whats to do at christmas go to church because I feel guilty for not going all year round if only church was more like Whoopie Goldberg in Siter Act where they sung all that music I would be there everyday :D

To be honest church is boring father Jim would have my head for that one :D Maybe I'm just getting old :-( but it don't seem to have that magic sparkle no more it just seems to cost would I have it any other way ?

No as long as the kids enjoy it :D

Well despite being non religious we love Christmas, more for the good times it brings than any celebration of someone who might have lived 2000 or so years ago, (sorry Tony, no offence intended). We don't personally have the excitement of young kids and lots of prezzies any more but our grown up kids usually come round and my parents come to us for Christmas dinner. Its worth all the trouble and organisation to see my father wrapping himself round an absurd amount of food. This year we should have some fresh veg straight out of the garden too!

A mate of mine absolutely loves Christmas, everything about it from carol singers to midnight mass, even though he is not a religious person either. I don't know if that makes him a hypocrite or what (at 18 stone and with hands like coke shovels I'm not about to tell him that anyway) but he loves it all.

D.

Tracker - 2007-11-05 11:30 AM If only the reality was so sensible, open minded and tolerant Tony we could then change from being the United Kingdom to the Utopia Kingdom! But that would mean tolerance and understanding from everybody and that seems more like pure fantasy than reality in the current world of extremism and madness.

I agree, especially when there are people out there who have views like the following:

Tracker - 2007-11-01 2:05 PM Soddes law being what is it I bet they will make national holidays for every religion practised in in the UK/>/>. After all if you do it for one where do you stop? Why could they not have done that before I retired as I could have had even more holidays? Maybe it's time we took a stand to keep Britain British by welcoming incomers and inviting them to join with us in becoming British, but whilst not discouraging their rights to their own imported culture we should not be actively diluting our own for theirs.

And the opening post might be more of a worry (if indeed it isn’t just sexed-up journalism; I mean, come on: It emerged in 2006 that three out of four employers were not putting up Christmas decorations in the workplace for fear of offending staff of other cultures." What a load of tosh!) were it the case that the people who feared the loss of ‘freedom’ were as sincere as Tony Jones; and didn’t just reduce into writing the first thing that came into an otherwise vacuous head.

Christmas is indeed, sadly, driven by capitalism at it’s finest plus a healthy dose of social convention. I have every sympathy for people like Tony; but for all the right reasons.

There is just too much pressure put on people (especially Mums) at Christmas, it is meant to be enjoyed and is not a time to beat yourself up about what you are supposed to be or do.

If you want to do the Church thing once a year, dutifully visit the family or put your feet up with a bottle of single malt in front of the TV, it should be your choice.

Being self-employed I find it difficult to give myself permission to take a week off, so the time between Christmas Eve and New Year's day, when the rest of the country is on holiday, is 'me' time.

Perhaps I'm just getting selfish in my old age *-)

Tracker - 2007-11-05 1:15 PM I see no contradiction in views above Steve? What point are you trying to make?

The main point I tried to make was that Christmas has become a monster and many people can now only hope to 'survive' it. Capitalism and the 'need' to conform to social expectation have overshadowed the original (and I accept different) meanings.

I therefore sympathise with those for whom a time of spiritual significance (like Tony) is swallowed by the sloth of insincerity.

A secondary point was that insincerity is not a nice quality, but in the spirit of non-confrontation, now you feel that:

Tracker - 2007-11-04 7:15 PM It is so much nicer on Chatterbox now the nasty ones have gawn away...

I really have no desire to lock horns.

Speaking of confrontation, I hope that readers will allow me a slight diversion. For the thread starter's benefit, I personally hold sincerity quite dear. When, therefore, I say I'm leaving a thread to go to a function, that's what I'm doing. If I were leaving because I felt I had nothing else to say, I'd just leave.

I apologise for making this point here, but I hope that will prevent any future spurious unsubstantiated digs.

Anyway, back on track, Christmas is a time of great stress and pressure for many and any attempt to return it to a more grounded and spiritual time is no bad thing in my book. Even if the driver for that is ill-informed, or, more likely, a sensationalised news item.

Guest Tracker

It's not locking horns to disagree Steve and my apologies if you think I was having a go at you as I was not.

I simply did not quite grasp what it was you were saying.

donna miller - 2007-11-05 12:03 PM

Syd

Never mind the photo's, can we have an invite.

Anyone and everyone is welcome at our home anytime of the year. We would be delighted to meet you all

I would guess that we have an average of 10 people a day calling in for a chat and a cup of tea/coffee.

I hasten to add that they don't come to see me, I'm mostly refered to as the nasty tempered, grumpy old git in the corner, they come to see Jan as she is such a great person.

There has been quiet a bit of talk covering our aproach to religion, as I have said I am not a religious person but I do believe that if everyone lived their lives in the manner that most religions genuinely state, BEFORE they are deliberately mis-interpreted by the zealots, then life would be a great deal better for everyone.

For my part I do honestly try to live and act like that, unfortunately I have all of the normal human frailities in abundance, so I "occasionally" fail

Maybe I should have said that I "occasionally" succeed.

Look forward to seeing you all

michele - 2007-11-05 4:12 PM

Come on Syd get it together man :D wheres the photos we would all love to see them please.

Are you one of them guys on the telly that the news features (?)

Most certainly not Michele, only times that Ive featured on TV its been on Crime Watch

Looking for the pictures as we "speak"

Agree with J9 about the pressure of Christmas especially for our wives.

One particularly Christmas my mother in law said she wanted to eat at 1:00 so she could be sat down to watch the Queen at 3pm.

So we (royal we that as I seemed to be mainly in the way!) did our best and it was on the table, nicely presented and I went round the table pouring the wine.

In a rather too loud voice my Mother in Law said to my wife (her own daughter!) " I knew we would not be eating by 1:00 o'clock" with a face rather like she was sucking a lemon.

I said as quick as a flash "Anymore comments like that and YOU will not be eating with us at all!"

Deathly silence then my Father in law - a really good bloke - sadly dead now, said "Well I cannot wait to get started!" and we all had a laugh. but it could have gone horribly pear-shaped at that point.

After that we decided to cook the Turkey (we always have a Turkey - even though I prefer beef) on Christmas Eve and just cook the veg etc. on Christmas day.

What a relief!

We now have our Christmas day "back".

I have only managed to find six pictures all from 2005 so the last xmas decorations were better but if you remember I had a computer crash recently and I dont seem to have any for 2006.

As I am working on this years I will post again when they are finnished.

Cannot find 2006 pictures, must have lost them in my recent computer crash however here are some from 2005.

Every year the decorations increase so 2006 was defo better than these.

Hope I get the posting right, blame Dave if I get it wrong

Cannot find 2006 pictures, must have lost them in my recent computer crash however here are some from 2005.

Every year the decorations increase so 2006 was defo better than these.

Hope I get the posting right, blame Dave if I get it wrong

J9withdogs - 2007-11-05 8:31 PM

Amazing, Syd (lol)

Thank you dear lady, I am humbled, better ones for 2006 and better again for 2007 I hope

Archived