Intergrated Governance

michele

CliveH - 2007-11-06 8:55 PM

I expect it did Graham.

But in some ways you should not start me on Local Government. Near where I live is a footpath where there was a problem with children riding bikes fast and where another path joined there were a few accidents.

So our LG put in those large rectangular metal hoops slightly offset so that you have to slow down if you are on a bike. They put them about 10M back from where people walked out into the path of the oncoming cyclist.

Trouble was there was a large grass covered space adjacent to these metal hoop things so the cyclists just went round them.

The result was a muddy track where we used to have nice grass and still people got knocked over by cyclists.

After a while I think some one just came and pulled them out and they were not replaced.

And in our local car park, similar railings were sited all over the walkways to protect people from moving cars. Trouble was, the trolleys from the local supermarket would not go through the gap so they were all taken out again.

Oh YES!!!! - If you want to learn how to waste money - get into the NHS or Local Government. They are the true experts.

>:-( >:-( >:-( >:-(

With situations like those you need to lobby your local councillor and the local paper/radio station. Trouble is in many cases mistakes don't get put right because people don't bother complaining.

Graham

I believe that the Consultants run most of the health service, if they say "No" to anything then it won't happen either, the trouble is that their "No" only takes into consideration how the proposal will affect their personal financial positions not service provision

As a family we've had an excess of hospitals this year. In all cases the medical treatment from both doctors and nurses has been first class. In the vast majority of cases, admin has been atrocious.

The problem is that artificial concepts like "Integrated Governance" have been given priority over the service being provided properly in the first place - and that has generated a raft of extra posts which have nothing to do with service provision.

Graham

michele - 2007-11-06 10:02 PM

Hang on please so confused thats not hard for me is it :D

Is this her title or is this oh i dont know anymore .

maybe she has no title :-|

It sounds like the name of a department and not a persons title.

Regarding the waste of time and money in public bodies, I think that in some cases some of the problems stem from vociferous individuals who make unreasonable demands. 

So, for example, when one person gets on a crusade to have a barrier or whatever erected, even though the public good will not actually be served in any meaningful way, local authorities etc, bound as they are by legislation and the fear of litigation, have to be seen to act. 

And so a barrier is half-heartedly erected, and one person feels a hollow victory; whilst thousands think what a waste of money! 

It isn’t practicable to offset the idiocy and arrogance of humans with the erection of barriers. If people just watched where they were going and gave one another the time of day, wouldn’t life be so much simpler? 

It seems to me that we move further away from addressing the real problem of society crumbling around our ears, and instead try to deny we are part of the problem by whining that ‘someone should do something’. Very often the someone is, by default, perceived as a public body.

We find ourselves in a position where, when something goes wrong, the immediate reaction is not: ‘how have I contributed to this’, but instead: ‘who can I blame’. 

And so, pointless barriers will continue to be erected. 

Barriers will only serve to displace incidents, instilling sound values and respect might just make a difference. Furthermore; a happy consequence might be that we wouldn’t need fat bureaucratic departments that detracted from, rather than enhanced, service delivery.

crinklystarfish - 2007-11-07 11:15 AM

We find ourselves in a position where, when something goes wrong, the immediate reaction is not: ‘how have I contributed to this’, but instead: ‘who can I blame’

Very good point.

When our lads were young Jill and I were deeply involved with the schools they attended, working with others to raise standards. We've also been involved with residents associations and, in latter years, charitable organisations which we support.

Too many people are content to just whinge about something they perceive as wrong and never consider trying to do something constructive about it.

Graham

michele - 2007-11-06 8:15 PM

Thanks Guys .

just goes to show you even the big people dont fool the little people :D intergrated governance indeed . What a load of tosh .

perhaps we can keep this going see how many more we can think of that shouldnt be hard. :D

In my opinion there are no 'big' people and 'little' people, there are just people.

Some people are clever, and some are not so clever, but just being clever doesn't make you important.

It's the job they do that's important, not who they are.

In an ideal world all the important jobs would be done by people who have the ability do do the job well, but that doesn't necessarily happen.

Archived