driving to Siena in winter

handyman

It's a good idea to carry chains and on some roads it is compulsory to have them on board. There is likely to be a lot of snow on some of the alpine roads, but they tend to clear them fairly quickly. Warning signs will tell you if mountain passes or tunnels are open or closed.

Phil.

Philman - 2007-11-13 2:09 PM

Handyman, do you know of any campsites near Siena that are open in winter? I've been there a couple of times and been unable to find any open at that time of year.

Phil.

I'm staying at a house when i arrive in siena, so i havent looked into it, sorry

Guest JudgeMental

By the time you faf around buying 2 extra rims, 2 narrow winter tyres and a set of snow chains do you really think spike spiders at £200 will be much more expnsive? I believe they are much easier to use if you need to use them....

Went to Tuscany over Easter 2 years ago.

Choose your route carefully and you won't need special tyres.

Tuscany although hilly isn't really mountainous and apart from crossing the Alps I'd consider you unlucky if you encountered snow.

Having said that we spent two wasted days in Garmisch Partenkirchen as we couldn't get over the Fernpass due to horrendous snow!

Drove 100m over the border from Austria, slid all over the place, shat ourselves and beat hasty retreat!

Visited Siena but didn't camp anywhere near there, so can't help.

If you're in Firenze don't miss the Piazza Michelangelo "unofficial" car park. It's free and got the best view of the city.

Whatsmore, when the Police ticket you, just do as the Italians do. Put in the nearest bin!

JudgeMental - 2007-11-13 9:16 PM

By the time you faf around buying 2 extra rims, 2 narrow winter tyres and a set of snow chains do you really think spike spiders at £200 will be much more expnsive? I believe they are much easier to use if you need to use them....

I thought you would need winter tyres anyway, before you need chains?

And does the ebay link mean you can have chains on transit?

If this is the case, then you need the winter tyres anyway...........then chains at £50 from ebay, or £200 for the spike spiders

"thought you would need winter tyres anyway, before you need chains?

And does the ebay link mean you can have chains on transit? "

In my case, as i have a transit i needed narrower tyres if i was going to take snow chains sooo i purchased winter tyres with the suitable narrow profile + i also obtained snow chains. I just switched between rims but this year i have purchased new rims to make it easier!

In the event we did not use the snow chains albeit it was a close call on occassions and i was very thankful for winter tyres (a phsycological boost if nothing else) - it snowed all the way from calais to the alps - very pretty but very slow with lorries off the road or stuck in the snow all over the place making it a full 2 day trip!

Last year was a light year for snow but this year who knows! There is already 1 1/2 metres of snow in parts of Austria and its colder than usual in central Russia! I have been checking the web cams in some of the skiing resorts and it is looking promising.

Peter

So, you can get chains for my camper tyres, and for narrow winter tyres.

I intend to get 2 winter tyres for the front wheels, and snow chains to match tyres. I will just get them fitted to existing rims, and look for 2 other rims later. Doing this as I'm needing to change the suspect valves anyway (as stated in earlier thread)

Peter, where did you get the spare rims from, and how much? And why do you need narrow tyres to take snow chains, when that ebay link shows the existing size of tyre ha chains to match?

hi handyman

I have a 2006 ford tranny base - i looked in manual and on page 143 it explained that you need narrower tyres (215/75 down to 195/75) to give snow chains clearance. I spent quite a bit of time on my hands and knees with the wheels on different locks convincing myself to change the tyres. If you look on the link below this comes up with a warning about clearance!

The rims i purchased from ford this year £65.63 each inc vat - i could no doubt have picked up cheaper eg from a breakers yard, but i would not lnow how to judge if they were safe (eg had they been involved in a accident) so i just did the deed - it gives me peace of mind!

re snow chains - purchased thru link below

http://www.autow.co.uk/snow_chains/pricelist.aspx

click on info and it shows you how to fit - not as easy as it first seems but with a little practice i got there!

peter

Recently got back from Sienna although we flew & hired a car there.I did notice that the majority of cars were 4 wheel drive so that should mean something!!!Our Garmin GPS was perfect all over Tuscany,it amazed me how "Cecil" thats what we call him,could remember & pronounce those hellishly long Italian names. (lol)

We drive to Italy every Christmas now. First year Tuscany and Umbria, then Naples and this year to Puglia. First trip we went through Switzerland, with a set of "token" chains in the boot. At one point, I turned to Cindy and said "Sorry, but I no longer have control of the van" It was sliding under its own weight. Fortunately things came good a few seconds later, but we slowed our progress considerably. For a safer, or at least more summery journey, do as we do now, down through Champagne, Burgundy, Rhone, Aix, Cote d'Azure, Liguria the Tuscany. Not the same as the Swiss mountains, but just as fantastic a journey. And lots of wine as well!!!!! We use a mix of France Passion and regular sites, and it still only takes us 3 days to be in Tuscany.

Presuming you've been to Tuscany before, you'll already know about that wonderfully crisp yet full bodied white called Vernacia, found only in the San Gimignano hillside wineries, the delicious boar and fennel or pepper sausage from the deli's again in San Gimignano, and the massive Tuscan Tasting room in Greve...

http://www.lecantine.it/cantineUtente/index.php?cambialang=en

Jealous as hell! But there at Christmas anyway!

handyman - 2007-11-16 7:51 AMmom,do you use any websites too see what the road conditions are? I want to gun it there, quickest route possible. If i could get a 2 day prediction of conditions before i left, i would make a decision from that.

Not really... there are several weather sites, but I find them all as inaccurate as the other. I once heard it said "Want to know the weather? Just look out the window!" This is still the only reliable means. So flexibility and last minute changes may be needed when contemplating alpine routes. Having said that, although I said we were sliding in my earlier post, the rest of the trip through Switzerland was fantastic and fast. Before we knew it, we were in Northern Italy.

I had not done that particular route before, so I prototyped it in google earth, using 3D and slanting the terrain. I drove it "virtually" and it was a great way to see where the likely difficult areas would be.

I know this doesn't answer your question. Sorry. But just talking about it, I am tempted to go this way again this Christmas!!!

Here are a few links, but none perfect.

http://www.uri.info/en/weather.cfm#Autobahn

http://www.weather.com/common/welcomepage/world.html?from=gn_six_welcome

http://weather.yahoo.com/regional/SZXX.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/west_europe/

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/Switzerland.htm

Archived