Travelling with a dog?

Sparkle

Hi Irene, I suggested a baby gate and was shot down in flames as being to heavy! I might have to improvise something. Teddy will be able to come back after the 10thMay so that is alright luckly his first jab took! You might have to check about the duration some countries say 3 but our Vet said he thinks France says 2 years!! its all as clear as MUD isnt it.

Hello Iam new to this but here goes.

I live in the Alpes with my 16 year old retriever (got a second life since moving here in 2005) the only thing our vet says to use is frontline but to use it once a month from October to the end of November and that is mainly for the ticks they are horrid and it still dosen't stop him getting them. so If anyone is travelling in France I would suggest to get an implement from the vets for removing them and do not listen to old wives tales of how to get rid of them. We are travelling in our Hymer B524 to Venice and then on the ferry to Greece for the summer will I need this collar for Greece and if so where can I get one from on line and delivered.

Sparkle Help please! Can't find collars on this website. Tried typing scaliber and Frontline collars but no success. all I can see are the Frontline drops. Am I missing something? Does your vet charge for giving you a prescription?

Irene

maggyd Just realised that apart from the weight, a Chihuahua would probably be able to squeeze thru the bars of a baby gate! Fortunately my baby Rottie can't squeeze thru ours. Re the rabies, my sis-in-law lives in France and her vet says the 3 year injection is acceptable there. If you live in France or are there for over 3 months it must be done annually. I think there's another thread about this

cheers ike

ike - 2008-03-12 8:34 PM

Sparkle Help please! Can't find collars on this website. Tried typing scaliber and Frontline collars but no success. all I can see are the Frontline drops. Am I missing something? Does your vet charge for giving you a prescription?

Irene

Irene....

Its here.....

http://www.365vet.co.uk/acatalog/Prescription_RU.html

Its under the 'order online' then under the r-u part..... Failing that if you have a problem I'm more than happy to buy and post back to the UK if people have Paypal.... but I can't get them this cheap!! I'll be ordering my next one from them!

I pay 20.95 euros for the small one for Mutley, and the large is 21.95euros. Plus I'd need to weigh it for postage.

ike - 2008-03-12 7:47 PM

maggyd Just realised that apart from the weight, a Chihuahua would probably be able to squeeze thru the bars of a baby gate! Fortunately my baby Rottie can't squeeze thru ours. Re the rabies, my sis-in-law lives in France and her vet says the 3 year injection is acceptable there. If you live in France or are there for over 3 months it must be done annually. I think there's another thread about this

cheers ike

Just an update on the gate :-) we managed to get some white plastic garden trellis from the pound shop and O.H has made a gate out of that the diamond shape is too small for him to get through, so its just a matter of working out the fixings now.

Try Velcro on sticky backed tape you can get it at most hardware type shops. You can run one side down the "gate and the other on the edge of the door or a unit. Remember to put the "hook" strip on the gate though otherwise you will be bound to rub your legs against it everytime you pass!

ike - 2008-03-12 8:34 PM

Irene

This is the link

http://www.365vet.co.uk/acatalog/Prescription_RU.html

Its under Scalibor

Tomo3090 - 2008-03-15 4:18 PM Try Velcro on sticky backed tape you can get it at most hardware type shops. You can run one side down the "gate and the other on the edge of the door or a unit. Remember to put the "hook" strip on the gate though otherwise you will be bound to rub your legs against it everytime you pass!

Great minds think alike ! that is exactly what hubby has done, he has made a couple of chanels for the gate to slide in which is attached to the sides with velcro that we can take off if we want to with the smooth side on the wood! I said that we would catch on it everytime we passed otherwise. thanks Margaret.

• 1 month later...

I have just read on the DEFRA web site that some EU countries insist that the dog is restrained when being carried in the vehicle. We are taking her cage with us, but usually she travels in the UK in her basket and we just use the cage when we go out. My question for the panel is...

Which are these EU countries?

Answers please before September 2008!

I have a travelling harness that I can slip my seat belt through if he is on my knee, but generally he just sleeps in his bed at our feet I suppose I could tie it to something down there! taking his crate is just more weight isnt it and they arent secure in that are they? I suppose it might be a good idea with a large dog but you do get sick when your not allowed to use your own common sense.

Help! Has part of this thread disappeared. Last time I looked someone was complaining about dog poo. I downloaded a pictured and now it has all disappeared.... :-(

(The picture was not of doggy poo :$ ) Joy

ROON - 2008-05-13 9:10 PM

Help! Has part of this thread disappeared. Last time I looked someone was complaining about dog poo. I downloaded a pictured and now it has all disappeared.... :-(

(The picture was not of doggy poo :$ ) Joy

I think you will find that in the Motorhome matters Joy!! *-)

in Dog proofing a motorhome !!

Archived