A Magic Trick For Scorching Hot Air

michele

Hi have read all of the info to hubby .

I also discussed cariocas idea last night no good for us our invertor is only a 150w so thats that apparently we only use it for phones the laptop games consuls .

The van has not long had all its service done so it should be full of coolant

he is going to do something with the matrix ? lost in translation .

very interesting to read once again thank you all.

I don't blame you for trying but I seriously doubt if hubby will succeed in imrpoving the Fiat heater. A larger inverter to power a 500 Watt heater might be an answer but it will need wiring with heavy duty cable to the engine battery or upgrade the wiring and fuses to the leisure battery.

D.

You're probably right Dave I think we should just give up on it .

Still it was worth a try you never know what someone might suggest .

I think all we can do is make sure its looked after and kept topped up .

Fiats not sure I would do it again our Hobby fiat was fantastic shame we got rid of it really if it was just us we would still have it .

Never mind these things are sent to try us.

thanks everyone for the input and the help and suggestions.

Hi Michele, I hope I'm not to late with a possible answer, I worked with a Ford Agent for many years befor I retired, and on some models it was possible to change the Thermostat in the cooling system and fit a hotter running one, This used to give the heater a big boost, I don't know if that is possible with yours. Phone up a main agent and see if you can speak to the workshop forman or similar and tell him of your problem, stores will only be able to tell you the thermostat that is actually listed on their books. Good luck. Trev.

Hi Jon,

Believe it or not it makes not the slightest of difference .

We have tried both I must add at this point and thought I said earlier its much better than it used to be after the Volvo garage opened the bonnet and let some air out I think anyway he tinkered under the bonnet .

I think that reality is as Derek has pointed out they are just a very bad design the cabs are very draughty and the heaters make a sound like they belong to an aircraft but they dont make any hot air.

Its an awful lot of noise for nothing I suppose I will have to be content with the little bit we have got and just be happy at least its warmish to hot which is better than this time last year when we had stone cold.

Thanks all for trying to help. I resign myself to the fact that these Ducatos are not very good hopefully the new ones are . ;-)

"heaters make a sound like they belong to an aircraft but they dont make any hot air."

Mine does not. Its fairly quiet except on the high setting and even then its not too obtrusive because of engine noise. I think you need you check someone elses out and compare. You may well have a fault. Maybe it needs more air bled.

Jon.

Two things to check Michele, What does your water temp guage read, If it does not get up to the middle the trouble is with the thermostat whether it is electronic or not,

Something to try, Place a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator and sit in the cab with the engine running until the temp guage goes a little above what it normally reads, then check the heat comming out of the heater, If it is the trouble is that the engine isn't getting hot enough, so pointing to the thermostat again. (Take the cardboard out after the test or you will cook your engine.) Good luck, Trev.

Wont blow it up will I ?

The temp gage in this van is always always I know this for certain as the last van had a slight prob always bang on the middle .

I am paranoid about keeping my eye on it .

As long as I wont blow it up will have ago at that also. ;-)

You will find that you can take the needle up to the hot position without doing any damage, provided that it is only for a short time, but I'm not suggesting that you do that, just a little higher than normal.

I'm not sure from your message what your guage normally reads, but a millemetre or so above the normal reading wont hurt for a couple of minutes or so.

In the old day's we used to be able to get radiator blinds that you could wind up and down from inside the cab to block off part of the radiator to get the temp. up to a decent heat, but I dont think they are made now. Supposedly not necessary with modern techology. Good luck. Trev.

The thinking behind this is simple logic, If the heater isn't getting hot it is either the engine isn't getting hot enough or the hot water isn't getting to the heater, what Ive suggested checks the engine heat, if thats OK you will have to look for some obstruction in the heater plumbing, or the heater matrix itself. Trev.

Just be a bit careful if you try this.  There are two girt great electric fans behind the rad!  When the engine gets hot, first one, and then the other, comes on.  Any hair of loose clothing caught in these could inflict nasty injury, so hairnet and tight sweater is the order of the day!  Making my eyes water just thinking about it!

Hi Michele

Our new Lunar Roadstar is the same model Ducato as yours and I thought that the heater was pretty Pathetic until last week I was fiddling ( as men do ) and I realised that the heater control Dial went beyond the five red marks and right around to a symbol at the bottom that looks like a sign for a heated window, When I turned it around to this point walla hot heat still not the best but a lot warmer than it was.

I suppose you will know about this but it is another answer if you do not?

Failing that I have a canny coal fire with a few bags of nutty slack for sale if you want (lol) (lol) (lol)

Terry

Guest Tracker

When you operate the heater slides with the fan full on the motor note should vary slightly as the airflow valves open and close.

If it doesn't maybe the cables are either detached, broken or out of adjustment?

michele - 2007-11-19 10:32 PM

Jon ,

I guess I give up then ? Its back to the Long Johns hats gloves scarf and a warm coat :D

Careful Michele, you'll get Peter all hot and bothered again!!! :D

Seriously, we had a problem with the heater slider control on our first 'new' Fiat (2001 version), the slider slid but the controller didn't control nowt! It wasn't engaging anything so we couldn't stop the cold air coming in and go on to recirculating. We got it fixed under warranty and it did get a bit better but not by much. Fiat heaters are just rubbish.

You can try to make it a bit more comforatble in the cab though, if you can stop cold air coming in from the various places it at leasts lets the warm air you get stand a chance of staying there.

- tape over any vent holes in the doors

- if you have a vent in the rear, stuff an old cushion or towel in front of it when travelling - we have a large vent near the rear door in the step well which lets in a lot of cold air when travelling and this fix works well.

- check the bit where the safety belt pulls up from, the bit where the actual material comes up out of the plastic cover on the side of the van, in our Fiat we got an absolute gale through ours.

- check the where the bottom of the cab door glass meets the door structure, again it's surprising the amount of cold air that filters in through that very small gap - some masking tape placed over this, or a towel/cushion placed on it whilst travelling does the trick.

- when you wrap yourself up with a blanket make sure you have it round the back of your legs and not just the front, makes quite a difference.

- invest in some hot water bottles! :-D

- try to have stops every now and then whilst travelling, the longer you travel the more likely you are to cool down as you are not 'active', a bit of walking around just for a couple of minutes does the world of good for the circulation.

Archived