Thetford Cassette Cleaning

Bill Ord

I've just picked up a tip from Camping Car Magazine that may be of use although I've not had chance to try it yet. A reader says that each time he puts the cassette back into service as well as putting in the usual chemical he adds a small handful of dishwasher salt. The photo accompanying the article shows a small heap in the palm of his hand about two dessert spoons. He claims that this totally eliminates calcium deposits and keeps the interior "impeccable"! Seems logical to me and it should prolong seal life which tend to fail because of lime scale build-up

Bill Ord

Guest Tracker

I am not a chemist so pardon me for being a tad cynical - but what does salt do for your cassette - apart from corrode any unsuspecting metal bits - if indeed there are any?

If it were that good wouldn't Thetford include salt in their own formula?

The Wikipedia entry for "dishwasher salt" is:

"Dishwasher salt is a particular grade of crystalline sodium chloride intended for use in dishwashers. Dishwasher salt is used for the same purpose as (and is very similar to) water softener salt, namely to regenerate ion exchange resins used to remove the hardness ions, calcium and magnesium from water. Dishwasher salt is in a granular form, with particles larger than common table salt and unlike table salt has no added iodine (included as a dietary supplement). The granule size ensures that the salt dissolves slowly and that fine particles do not block the softener unit."

I tend to be wary of motorhome magazine 'reader tips', particularly technical ones appearing in French publications like Camping-Car, but that doesn't mean that none of them work. Based on the above description there seems to be a sporting chance that this stuff might keep a toilet cassette scale-free. As far as causing damage to a cassette is concerned, I would have thought that anything safe to use in a dishwasher would be safe to put in a cassette. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating and, as Bill seems to be planning to experiment, perhaps we should wait and see how he gets on.

I'm sure we'll all be interested to hear how you get on Bill, don't forget to update us either way.

However my problem with limescale build up is on the black rubber seals. This is actually above the level of "matter" in the tank (except for splashing in transit perhaps) so would not be affected by salt in it.

In older type vans with separate flushing water I could perhaps see the value of adding it to the flushing tank?

Guest Tracker

I would be wary of adding any solids to the flushing tank in case they do not dissolve fully and affect the one way flow valve.

Maybe dissolve the salts in hot water first and add the liquid, when cold, to the flushing tank would be better?

I find an occasional wipe with olive oil, as I believe the thetford people suggest, keeps the seal nice and clean. #When we received our van, the seal was clad in nasty limescale residue, I cleaned it up and smeared with olive oil and apart from the occasional wipe with more olive oil, it has stayed pristine.

Cheers,

Lee

Guest Tracker
Lee1st - 2007-11-19 10:56 AM

I find an occasional wipe with olive oil, as I believe the thetford people suggest, keeps the seal nice and clean. #When we received our van, the seal was clad in nasty limescale residue, I cleaned it up and smeared with olive oil and apart from the occasional wipe with more olive oil, it has stayed pristine.

Cheers,

Lee

This is particularly important before leaving the van over winter as the blade can stick to a dry seal and damage it when first opened.

I find the pink flushing fluid applied neat seems to protect the seal.

Toilet-bowl seals on Thetford toilets are more vulnerable to damage on the older bench-style models as the 'blade' closes by sliding sideways while in contact with the seal. On later models, like the C200 swivel-bowl range, the blade slides sideways below the seal then moves vertically upwards to make contact with it. This two-stage action minimises wear and tear.

Archived