Have you been fined for speeding here..........

donna miller

I know that particular camera is on the downward slope of a hill and it is so easy to just exceed the speed limit.

The camera is placed to extract maximum revenue from the motorist and if I could "wriggle" out of a fixed penalty...I would !

Isn't it a pleasure to drive in Portugal...for example. No cameras or traffic police.....that I've noticed. One can just relax and tour in peace.

My Nieces Husbands Brother was killed by a driver a couple of months ago.

The driver hit him and he landed on the bonnet. This driver stopped and reversed, throwing the poor guy off. He then drove over him, killing him, and then drove off.

The case was dropped for lack of evidence by the CPS....not even a driving conviction.

So, I'll "wriggle" !!

Sorry to disappoint you bob b, but they DO have speed cameras and traffic police in Portugal and the rest of Europe! And they are just as keen there as here, it's just that with a UK number plate you can't get the ticket from a camera because they don't know where you live!

As to your other point about the guy getting off with lack of evidence, how did your family feel about that? After all he was just using the law to his advantage, the scrote!

We all speed from time to time, some do it without bothering with the consequences, some get caught at the first time, but it IS breaking the law, so if you do it and get caught just accept the fact you ARE the one driving the vehicle, YOU are guilty, and YOU should take the punishment.

p.s. I don't mean YOU as in you, bob b, I mean YOU as the person who might be speeding, unless YOU, as in you, bob b, do speed then I do mean YOU ;-)

I did 28 years in the Fire Service and have been to countless road accidents, so I can assure you that I am not a reckless driver.

However, I have done 35 mph in a 30 mph limit. The last fixed penalty I received was for just that....at 08.30 on a sunday morning, when I was the only person on that particular stretch of road.

Of course we must have speed limits...but lets have sensible limits.

Higher in somes areas, but even lower in some places.... outside schools for example.

The priorities seem to be skewed these days. I've also been to countless arson incidents and seen the police in action...

...or rather lack of action. It dawned on me many years ago that the police are not to be relied on and I'm on my own, if the victim of crime.

Traffic law is a blunt instrument and police officers are nowadays blunt implementers. Road Patrol Officers (or whatever they call them) are not even fit for purpose and commant little respect. In my view a lot of sharpenning is required to correct these blunt tools and a liberal application of CS&LK (Common sence and local knowledge) in the administration. Replace that Police Blair bloke with Clarky for example!

C.

(Clean license, never been done for speeding as I realised my weakness and sold the beemer!)

Tomo3090 - 2007-11-21 8:52 PM

Sorry to disappoint you bob b, but they DO have speed cameras and traffic police in Portugal and the rest of Europe! And they are just as keen there as here, it's just that with a UK number plate you can't get the ticket from a camera because they don't know where you live!

As to your other point about the guy getting off with lack of evidence, how did your family feel about that? After all he was just using the law to his advantage, the scrote!

We all speed from time to time, some do it without bothering with the consequences, some get caught at the first time, but it IS breaking the law, so if you do it and get caught just accept the fact you ARE the one driving the vehicle, YOU are guilty, and YOU should take the punishment.

p.s. I don't mean YOU as in you, bob b, I mean YOU as the person who might be speeding, unless YOU, as in you, bob b, do speed then I do mean YOU ;-)

Stephen,

You mention the scrote using the law to his advantage. What happened to the driving offences:-

1) Causing death by dangerous driving.

2) Driving without due care and attention.

3) Failing to stop after an accident.

and thats ignoring manslaughter.

the laws the law, if they didnt do their bit correctly, then everyone should get their fine and points back............dont understand how anyone can argue or disagree with that *-)

Speed limits are way too ridgid, to speed at 3pm past a school is stupid, to speed at 3am past a school is ok. Some sort of sensible variable limits are required.

Fixed cameras are only raising money. If they didnt want you to speed they can put in other forms of calming. They dont they do this then?

The only cameras that appear to be fair, and are put in areas where calming cant be put in (ie mainly roadworks) is the measured distance types..........now they really work in high danger areas.

I would have thought that road calming measures should be used in many places instead of cameras.

The idea should be to get drivers to slow down - so put in chicanes or those traffic lights over the road which you sometimes see on the continent which go red if you approach at more than the limit.

The fact that they don't do that indicates to me that the main purpose of many of the cameras is to make money.

Around my area all the speed camera's are in sensible places, does this apply everware? I don't know, but unless you know the particler road well then neither do you. I wonder what the locals where this camera is think about it.

Chicanes are a bad move, local ones are being removed as they have caused so many accidents.

there are many forms of road calming, not just chicanes.

The best ones i have seen is a simple painted roundabout. In a town just off the m74 they had terrible speeding through the village, then they put roundabouts on every crossroad through the village, and now the traffic crawls through.

B-)

handyman - 2007-11-23 7:29 AM

there are many forms of road calming, not just chicanes.

The best ones i have seen is a simple painted roundabout. In a town just off the m74 they had terrible speeding through the village, then they put roundabouts on every crossroad through the village, and now the traffic crawls through.

B-)

That's exactly my point. Concentrate on slowing the traffic down.

I assume cameras are a lot cheaper to install than road calming measures, and bring in some revenue, but it's slower moving traffic that is needed.

I'm surprised to hear of chicanes actually causing accidents, presumably people are still speeding through them, in which case maybe the design was at fault.

I've always thought the ones in France seem very effective.

A505 is indeed 60 but, it is mainly a dual carriageway, nice and straight in the main as it follows the old prehistoric trackway of 'Icknield Way'. I drove along it many times in the mid 1960's when it was a single c'way and it was always full throttle (no cameras about then!) and the opportunity to make a bit of progress on my way to/from R.A.F. Henlow Camp. I find it (the A505) a frustrating road these days as it is good enough for 75/80m.ph. but cameras prevent that sort of 'progressive speed'!

Regards Mike

Mike I am refering to strech of A505 which is single carraigeway and has speed camera, the camera is there because to many people have been killed by speeding motorists at that point, there is no speed camera east of there that I know of, as you say it's mainly dual and of low risk.

ps whoops should have said 'west of there'

Archived