Eurotunnel - When to go?

Mel B

I don't want to through the Chunnel either and have put it down to the fact that I am a control-freak.

If your boat sinks, you've got the chance of swimming to safety - if the Chunnel collapses what chance have you got of getting out?

I am surprised that it hasn't been the target of terrorist activity. *-)

Sorry Janine, that isn't control freakery, it is illogicality.  In truth, you stand little real chance of being able to get to the deck of, and safely off, a stricken car ferry: they turn over and sink far too fast.  Think Spirit of Free Enterprise!  Added to this is the fact that the chances of a ferry being kyboshed by a pilotless bulk carried in the Dover strait, are far higher than the chance of the tunnel "collapsing".  The tunnel is deep into the chalk beneath the sea bed, and was designed so that even a direct hit from a sinking ship wouldn't affect it.  Logically, therefore, the tunnel is several times safer than the ferry. 

Remember also that almost any kind of terrorist attack that would work in the tunnel, would work just as well on a ferry.  The only really serious incident in the tunnel was the fire on a freight shuttle with open wagons, and the lessons have been learned.  Next time you're on a ferry, have a look at the trucks that are sharing the car deck and ask yourself what would happen if one of those caught fire. 

Therefore, I think your reasoning is, in truth, irrational: but I'm irrationally for the ferry as well, because I prefer the pause it injects between being at home and abroad.  I just get a much more satisfying sense of having arrived somewhere different when I come off a ferry!  Could have something to do with the mewing of all those gulls, I wonder?

For me the 'chunnel' element has absolutely nothing to do with logic, rationality or risk assessment - I just struggle to cope with it - 'tis a form of claustrophobia I suppose - although small enclosed spaces aren't the problem - it's the amount of earth above me. I can force myself to go underground - but the return has to make it worth the pain - and the chunnel doesn't make enough ticks on the list.

B-)

One very good point that I like about the tunnel is that if you arrive either late or early you can still get onto the train.

Excellent service, running ON TIME

Archived