Paul's other half and Morocco!!

Paul M

Over the last few weeks Paul my husband has been receiving loads of very good information on our planned trip to Morocco next March. One of his requests was for touring journeys without mountains!!!

After reading the artical in December MMM it seems that if you go to Morocco you have to go to the mountains and I am really scared of these mountains. I want to go as Paul is very keen, he is prepared to miss the mountains. But I want to know, can we go Morocco and enjoy that Country without the mountains?

Ann

Paul M - 2007-11-27 8:17 PM

Over the last few weeks Paul my husband has been receiving loads of very good information on our planned trip to Morocco next March. One of his requests was for touring journeys without mountains!!!

After reading the artical in December MMM it seems that if you go to Morocco you have to go to the mountains and I am really scared of these mountains. I want to go as Paul is very keen, he is prepared to miss the mountains. But I want to know, can we go Morocco and enjoy that Country without the mountains?

Ann

Ann,

Yes you can tour Morocco without going over the "High Atlas" you are missing the best parts of the country but if that's what you want so be it.

It's a fantastic country to tour. If you are interested I'll plot a route for you.

Don

Yes, as Don says you can do Morocco without the mountains.....but you would be missing some of the best parts.

No mountains if you go in via Tangier, down to Rabat in inland to Meknes and Fes.....all via Motorway. Back to Rabat and the south to Cassa and then Marrakech. Again all motorway [but these routes do have a "P" roads running beside]. Back to the coast to Essauarra and then down to Agadir. You could then turn east and cross to Zagora then Erfoud without mountains but then you will need to exit north via the Atlas, or re-route.....But that route is not "scary" as the roads are know great.......In fact other than the passes of Tizzi n Test [which may well be closed in March or at least not suitable for MHome that time of year] and Tizzi n Tichka [between Marra and Ouarzazate] you would be OK......

You could always close your eyes for those bits!

Don

If you could I/we would be grateful.

"Detourer stated that some of the roads over the Atlas's are now very good!!! is this true? (Course I could sit on the floor at the back of the van!!)

Very kind regards

Ann

ps we intend to be in Morocco for three weeks.

Ann,

As Ray has already stated the roads in Morocco are good, we were last there in 2001 and in those days we had no problems at all. Contrary to popular belief we found the roads a lot better than we expected even in the early nineties.

It's all in the mind, Ray has mapped out a route for you already, he knows the country a lot better than I do.

Go for it, if you get scared sit in the back of the van and think of England. 8-) You will never regret it of forget the experience.

Places that stick in my mind Fort Bou Jerif, the hot springs at Abeino (Ray might be able to confirm that the baths are still operating) and for us one of the main highlights of Morocco the main square, Djemma el Fna in Marrakesh, we visited it after dark and it was unbelievable.

You can read a write up of one of Ray's tours at http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/morocco2007/index.shtml

Safe travelling

Don

You will in general be surprised at the road conditions. Far better than in many parts of euro and certainly UK........and crossing the Atlas, say on the direct south route via Meknes, Azrou, Midelt and Rich, will present little or no problem.

Yes Fort Bou Jerif is open....find them at N 29.04.93 W10.19.87

You will have a great time........Just consider, if solo, breakdown or illness.....that is when it can turn into a nightmare.

• 9 months later...
detourer - 2007-11-27 9:11 PM

Yes, as Don says you can do Morocco without the mountains.....but you would be missing some of the best parts.

No mountains if you go in via Tangier, down to Rabat in inland to Meknes and Fes.....all via Motorway. Back to Rabat and the south to Cassa and then Marrakech. Again all motorway [but these routes do have a "P" roads running beside]. Back to the coast to Essauarra and then down to Agadir. You could then turn east and cross to Zagora then Erfoud without mountains but then you will need to exit north via the Atlas, or re-route.....But that route is not "scary" as the roads are know great.......In fact other than the passes of Tizzi n Test [which may well be closed in March or at least not suitable for MHome that time of year] and Tizzi n Tichka [between Marra and Ouarzazate] you would be OK......

You could always close your eyes for those bits!

Have pulled this thread for you so you could always pm Ray of Detours he is always helpful. also put search on the forum and check his threads could be useful. Carol.

Archived