Diesel Filter Button?????

BGD

OK, idiot question (as in question from an idiot…..) for you diesel-heads to assist me on please:

Our MH is a left-hand-drive 1992 EuraMobil on the Peugeot J5 base vehicle (same as the Talbot Express and Citroen C25). Originally a German vehicle, but later re-registered into the UK.

The engine is the standard 2.5 litre non-turbo diesel.

Just inside the engine compartment on the left (as you look into the engine bay from the front of the van, there’s what I believe to be the diesel fuel filter bolted to the front of the engine bay. (It’s cylindrical, and about 10 inches long, and about 4 inches in diameter).

Now on the top of this cylinder is a black push button.

So my questions are: is this indeed the diesel fuel filter; and if so, when, and why, and how often, and how many times, should I be pushing the push-button?????

(I seem to recall that it might be something to do with periodically purging any water from the diesel system, but this may be incorrect).

Any advice greatly appreciated……

:-D

hi i think you will find that the button you are referring to is for bleeding the air out of the fuel system after the filter has been changed any water drain should be at the bottom of the filter housing as water is heavier than diesel and will settle at the bottom hope this helps

Yup Pagey is spot on. When changing a fuel filter you MUST fill the new filter with fuel BEFORE you try to start the engine (some vehicles claim to self bleed, VW T4s for one I believe but I would always prefill the filter). On some vehicles like your J5 the priming pump is on top of the fuel filter others have a rubber "bulb" type pump in the fuel line. If there is no priming pump prefill the filter with clean fuel before you fit it to minimise the time required to bleed the air out. Diesel injection pumps are lubricated by the fuel and because of the very fine build tolerances involved, letting one run dry for even a very short time will almost certainly kill the it. Expensive to replace too at about £600 plus.

D.

Hi Dave - thanks for your advice.

So when/how should I do the "drain any water from the fuel filter" thing?

Is it something I should do as a precaution say once a month or two?

How do I do it:

Press the button thingy a couple of times? More?

Do it when engine is running or when switched off?

Cheers,

Bruce.

Periodically it is wise to drain any accumulated water from the filter. Many vehicles have a water warning light on the dash, if yours has this there will be an electrical connection to the filter unit. Perhaps every couple of months its worth checking. On the bottom of the filter there is usually a thumb nut, put a clean jar beneath to catch the liquid and open the thumb nut, if nothing comes out press the pump button a couple of times. Close the thumb nut. Let the liquid you just drained off settle for a minute or two and look closely to see if there is any water present, if there is the diesel will float on top of the water. If after a few months of doing this you still have not seen any water in it then you probably don't need to bother again.

Living in Spain as you do I would doubt if you'll suffer any water in your fuel as the ambient temperature is higher than over here. There are two ways that water gets into diesel. Either in the tanks of the petrol station or via condensation in your fuel tank. The former would be the result of poorly maintained forecourt equipment in a damp area. The latter generally happens in a moist cool atmosphere where the tank is regularly left for longish periods partially filled.

D.

Guest Tracker
BGD - 2008-01-07 10:04 PM

Thanks guys for your help.

Dave - can I assume therefore that I don't ever have to operate the push button thingy, unless I have just changed the fuel filter?

Or run out of diesel and need to reprime the pump before it will restart?

• 3 weeks later...

Be carefull here, as Dave pointed out you can use the black button plunger to drain out water when bottom outlet valve is open. On priming fuel pump you must open one of the fuel unions at the injectors and then and only then prime with the button on the fuel filter. When fuel flows nip up unions at the injectors and prime no more.

The diaphragams on these fuel primers tend to slit if over pressurized. This in turn will cause a lot of starting problems, example letting fuel drain back into the fuel tank.You will end up parking downhill to ensure a start.

You have got great advice,from Mickt,Pagey and of course Dave. Keep your fuel well serviced (some fuel not so good in France/Spain) prime your filter with clean diesel before screwing on and use gloves, Not Latex,

Archived