How far is Valencia

Norma

Trying to decide whether it is worth driving to Valencia from Edinburgh.

Can anyone advise an average cost or mileage? We hoped to stay for a while but hubby reckons 3,000 miles is rather expensive...

Flying from Edinburgh is also very difficult - no cheap flights from here. Otherwise 6 - 10 hours flying with 2 or 3 sectors.

Hi Norma, reckon you have the milage about right, we spent some time there last year, we stayed at a site just south of Valencia called Col-Vert. just 1 euro ride into Valencia a facinating wonderful city. But the one thing my husband has just said to point out is there could be a Formula 1 Grand Prix held there in 2008 and if this is so check when and make sure you have camp site booked because it would be very very busy., Carol.

Norma, it may be worth looking at flying to Alicante from Edinburgh with Flyglobespan, taxi/bus to Alicante town centre, then train to Valencia (around 1 1/2 hours). We did this last April - cost of flight was around £150 return each although we booked a week or two before departure and it may be cheaper if you book earlier.

Guest JudgeMental

just looked at route on garmin mapsource and it is 1543 miles via dover....

depends on time you have, if for a wedding or such like fly. if for a month or longer I would drive........

Many thanks. All very sensible answers. You've confirmed our workings and fears that the short, long distance trip is now a dying species - we agree it would need at least a month to make it viable - or a win on the lottery.

We are probably going to fly to Alicante, as suggested and hire a car.

As for beds for the night, we will be staying with my son. We were going to stay in their 'car park' but I think they will have to put up with us indoors.

We are aware of the Grand Prix. We know we won't see him home again till that's finished! But we're off join in with Fallas in March.

Just a couple of thoughts, as we live in a village on the Costa Blanca - we are between Alicante andf Valancia, about 10 miles north of Benidorm and about 5 miles inland of the coast.

My personal advice - don't hire a car in advance.

It's MUCH cheaper just to turn up at Alicante airport (with both parts of your UK driving licence, and your passport of course) and go to any of the booths located just inside the far end of arrivals. They all speak English and you can play them off against each other to get the cheapest price there and then.

From Alicante airport the drive up to Valancia can either be done straight up the AP7 motorway (clearly signposted). It'll take you about 3 hours to get to Valancia city centre. Remember it's a toll motorway most of the way, and costs about 11 euros - just take your ticket when you get to the start of the toll section, and pay at the far end of the toll section a bit south of Valencia (cash or credit card).

A slower, but far more interesting route is to take the N332 which is the equivalent of "A" roads in the UK, and which runs all the way up to Valancia too, parallel to the motorway but a bit closer to the coast. You'd probably need to allow 5 hours to do the whole run that way, but if you have the time it's FAR more interesting, and is toll-free.

The Fallas in Valencia are AMAZING.

And IMMENSELY crowded.

Be prepared for huge crowds, fantastic fireworks, street parties everywhere, millions of drunk and happy friendly Spanish people wanting to share their wine with you, dance with you and kiss you.

Wonderful stuff, a great week, but not for the agrophobic or fainthearted.

Enjoy!

:-D

BGD - 2008-01-09 12:44 AM

A slower, but far more interesting route is to take the N332 which is the equivalent of "A" roads in the UK, and which runs all the way up to Valancia too, parallel to the motorway but a bit closer to the coast. You'd probably need to allow 5 hours to do the whole run that way, but if you have the time it's FAR more interesting, and is toll-free.

I'm lucky and live in Valencia. Las Fallas is stunning. The Mascletá (daytime fireworks) is on every day at 2pm from March 1st and runs through to March 19.

As far as Valencia to Alicante goes I always avoid the toll and the coast roads and take the A7 interior. Stunning scenery, fast road, little traffic and free.

What a coincidence! I was looking thru some old MMM stuff today and had just read about Norma choosing her personalised no. plate for her Laika. Thanks for info re interior A7. We do the Valencia/Alicante trip quite often and it's v. useful to know about other/better/cheaper routes.

Cheers ike

derek500 - 2008-01-09 11:17 AM

I'm lucky and live in Valencia. Las Fallas is stunning. The Mascletá (daytime fireworks) is on every day at 2pm from March 1st and runs through to March 19.

As far as Valencia to Alicante goes I always avoid the toll and the coast roads and take the A7 interior. Stunning scenery, fast road, little traffic and free.

Now you've got me thinking about another visit to Valencia. Went there for a long weekend about 6 years ago. Would love to see Las Fallas. Looking at some websites, Las Fallas is on from 15th-19th March this year, but there are other fireworks starting from 1st?

Griff

Norma The article said you got funny looks, a Netherlander(?) told you it was illegal and two policeman questioned you and took photos. How sad am I to remember stuff from your article that you've forgotten! :D Mind you I read it only the other day. It was probably written ages ago'.

Cheers ike

griffly16 - 2008-01-10 2:53 PM

derek500 - 2008-01-09 11:17 AM

Now you've got me thinking about another visit to Valencia. Went there for a long weekend about 6 years ago. Would love to see Las Fallas. Looking at some websites, Las Fallas is on from 15th-19th March this year, but there are other fireworks starting from 1st?

Griff

You're right. Las Fallas starts on March 15 when they begin building the statues in the streets and ends on the 19th when they burn them down!!!

However, the Mascletá starts on March 1st. Any excuse for fireworks here in Valencia! They certainly bring the crowds in every day, although you stand a better chance to get really close in the early part of the month.

Once March 15th comes you need to get into the main square really early or you will listening from a side street.

The Mascletás are not for those of a nervous disposition, they are so loud, the ground shakes and all the windows in the square vibrate. It's wonderful.

:-D just been reading your question re Valencia, we have just return from

Malaga, but we have been to Alicante several times on Plane and because of difficulty getting cheap fares from Glasgow/Edinburgh, we fly from Newcastle and can go for £50/£60 return, we have been with different airlines, but normally Globespan, but I would rather drive anyday, than the hassle of 2 hour checkin, damaged bagage, delays etc.....of course if you have sufficient time to drive, incidentally our return from Malaga on 13th plane half empty that was with Thomson's. (>) enjoy

Archived