tom tom 700

Brian Peters

hi motorcaravaners, can the boffins help? I am scared to death of LOW BRIDGES. My motor home is a Burstner t-star 710. Although this is a lovely low profile vehicle low bridge heights worry me. on my roof i have a sat dome taking the height to a safe 3.4 meters but when your driving along there is no indication of a low bridge until you are apon them My question is this, is there any programme that i can install into my tom tom 700 that will warn me of low bridges in uk and europe,or better still low alerts so you dont even go down certain roads? Also i am thinking of upgrading my tom tom software to the most up to date version,at present i have uk and europe mapping. how often should this be updated???????????many thanks,brian

Hi Brian,

You may find that the attached is just what you want.  I wrote this a while ago for this very reason.

The web site link no longer supplies the POIs but a search on Google may help.  Once you've found them follow my guide to activate the warnings.

I choose the Star Trek 'Red Alert' sound . . . . never sleep through that one :-)

This might be of use http://www.lowbridges.com/description.htm

W2G

TomTom - Installing a POI and linking to a sound.pdf

just as well none of you is driving freds long distance cattle truck - as no-one heard of road signs before or is u all too busy looking at yer satnavs and mobile phones to notice. i is sorry to say when u cant see warnings of low bidges its about time u gave up driving me andsums.

ferociousfred

Hi brian,

If you have not used TT home for a while it will update to a new version it is easier to use than the old one. I update my TT 910 each month mainly because the GPS quick fix download helps find the satalites quicker and also updates mapshare each month. software version 7 came out last autumn giving more options you may also have to update your map if pre 2007. if you touch the screen in the lower right hand corner the version number and map version No will be shown on the screen. I have just down loaded terrys low bridge info on to mine thanks for that. I do not know if it covers europe or just Uk may be terry can let us know.

hope this helps

Hi Geoff,

Those low bridges just cover UK, you don't need to load them all up, just the Ov2 files and accompanying BMP file sets, for the bridges lower than say 10' or whatever height is safe for you to travel under.

Have a look at http://tinyurl.com/3bjnqy there may be low bridges for europe somewhere on that site, I will have a look after Holby has finished!!!

I have toured extensively in europe for the lats 5 years or so, the only bridge that had me worried was going into the Deltse Houte camping site, Holland, the MH did go under the bridge but it was tight, there didn't seem to be an alternative route in either.

I agree the TT software support is very good, having purchased the MIO 269+ a few years ago, I was disappointed with their software support which although fairish is not so good as TT. The MIO web site was down for the obsolecent 269+, they didn't seem to care about their older customers, thats why I am not one anymore.

Regards Terry

im sure u as about 24 inches spare in your van tel goin in to delfse hout. it always seems closer than it really is. mind u if yer eyes started wunderin at sum of those naturists around those parts who noes wot sort of head bangin u wood get my luvver.

fredneedlestreet

Archived