Dinna mess aboot

mco

Driving into town yesterday we had a motorhome in front of us (2007, won't disclose reg), tootling along at 40 - 50 miles per hour.

Quite oblivious of the queue of traffic behind. Plenty of places to pull in to let the traffic past but not many places for traffic to safely overtake.

We've commented a lot just lately about some motorhomes disregarding following traffic.

Don't know if it's because there are more of them or if it's us that are getting crabbit auld b-----rs. Suspect it's the latter.

Anyway, dinna hauld us up (present company excepted ). Motorhomers will be getting a bad name.

Well Id say 40-50 MPH on a single carriageway was probably about right. Maybe you are just Crabbit auld b----rs 8-) . I used to drive for a courier company and on one occasion was returning from Chester down the A 41 in a 7.5 Tonne curtain sider. As I approached Newport (Shropshire) my phone went, it was the office to say that the car following me had phoned them to complain that I hadn't left enough room IN FRONT OF ME for him to pull into if he overtook me 8-) 8-) !! He was totally unaware that I was being held up by the traffic in front of me despite the fact that he had seen it (how else would he know there wasn't room for him to pull back in?).

Did you consider that the motorhome might have been slowed down by other traffic?

D.

A few years ago, when we were tuggers, we were coming back from New Year in Scotland, we were on the M6 which was quite quiet but in front of us were two large lorries from the same Company side by side, it continued like this for a number of miles although there was nothing in front of them. As we knew we were unable to overtake the one in the middle lane we were stuck, so I phoned the number on the back of the lorry sheet and within 5 minutes, lo and behold, the one in the middle lane overtook his mate. It just goes to show that in a situation like that if there is a phone number then use it.

When my husband thinks he is causing a tailback he always tries to pull over and let the traffic pass. Doesn't take much courtesy or time to pull in at a convenient place and you live in hope that someone else will be as courteous.

We often let traffic pass, either by pulling in completely, or slowing down and waving them past when it is safe for them to overtake.

The problem is the silly b*ggers who don't take any notice of other traffic and continue to weave all over your backside when you are yourself being held up by some other silly b*gger in front of you! We often just pull slightly to one side so that they can clearly see the situation in front of us for a few seconds and then pull back into the line of traffic correctly, we find that this often sorts out the 'weavers'.

Quite right Randonneur in your final paragraph.

About 25 years ago when we were having instruction for our advanced driving test in our, car the instructor drilled into us that we shouldn't hold traffic up behind us and should proceed as swiftly as it was safe to travel up to the speed limit.

So, no Dave 40-50 mph on a wide A road is not acceptable to other road users. He was the leading vehicle otherwise I wouldn't be having a moan.

But, I'm still willing to admit to us being crabbit b-----rs.

Guest Le Thou

Previously we had a caravan but now on our 3rd M/home and I have never pulled over to allow traffic to pass. Why,? because I always drive within the speed limits and my abilities anything over that margin is dangerous to myself, passengers and other road users.

I have held a clean licence since I was 17 and can drive up to 7.5 tonnes, any size motorcycle and tow trailers so sorry I have to disagree with the author of the post

Quite right Anthony.

I have had a Motorhome for 4 years, my first one. The first thing it taught me was that I drove too fast in my car. Did not realise until it was impossible to go too fast in my van. ( hope that makes sense ?)

Ambition - to get caught speeding in it ;-) :-o

Don't think it will happen!!

As tuggers we have this trouble with motorhomers everytime we set out on holiday, all the way down to Folkestone, it isn't half gauling.

If only they would put engines in those motorhomes that was big enough to pull the things everything would be a lot better for everyone.

Who on earth want's to be poodleing along under 80mph all day.

*-) (lol) (lol) :D :$

Syd - 2008-01-23 10:19 PM

As tuggers we have this trouble with motorhomers everytime we set out on holiday, all the way down to Folkestone, it isn't half gauling.

If only they would put engines in those motorhomes that was big enough to pull the things everything would be a lot better for everyone.

Who on earth want's to be poodleing along under 80mph all day.

*-) (lol) (lol) :D :$

As you well know Syd I'm quite happy to "pootle along under 80mph all day" 'cos its safer and less stressfull. :-D

Variety is the spice of life :-)

D.

"Hannibal" might have been old but he was the first camper we'd had which could keep up with the traffic. I confidently expect the same from our new wagon (very soon!!!)

Like Mel, though, we've often had the experience of being tailgated by someone who thought we were holding them up, when in fact it was a car in front of us who'd clearly forgotten the bit in the driving test that says "make reasonable progress to suit the road and traffic conditions."

(No, I don't know if the current driving test still expects that - but these are ALWAYS people who're old enought to have taken the same test I did).

My instructor in the early '70s said I should always ask myself "Is there, at this moment, a safety reason why I shouldn't drive at the maximum legal speed on this road?" If not, get on with it, or you're not "making reasonable progress."

Tony

Whats the problem people have got with pulling over ? When I'm towing the motorbike, I often do it. It's not important !!

Incidentally, a few weeks ago, a woman did try to "kill" me whilst I was out on the motorbike. I was behind her car and a lorry was in front of her.

She was unable to overtake the lorry, but as my bike is 650cc, I could easily overtake her and then the lorry.

I overtook her car and as I did so, she accelerated and closed the gap.

Now trapped on the wrong side of the road, with a bend coming up,

I looked at her....and she looked at me....I raised my hand in exasperation

trying to convey a silent question, "why are you trying to kill me" ? .....

...and all Just for overtaking her !! She eased up and did let me back in.

Question is, why do a lot of motorists deliberately try to "engineer" an accident ? The ways and means are many.

davenewell@home - 2008-01-24 7:31 PM

Syd - 2008-01-24 8:43 AM

Will be emailing you again shortly with my next route plan Dave

Thanks Syd, I've had a crap day and you've just made me smile for the first time today :-D :-D . I am glad that we can both give and take in the same spirit on this :D .

D.

Beggar it, now Ive done a good deed and as I have said before I don't like doing good deeds.

>:-( >:-( >:-(

Guest Tracker

As an ex driver of delivery vans and as an ex working man in car with a full day to complete, I do still tend to get exasperated by unhelpful people who are either too stupid or too ignorant to allow me to get past when the opportunity arises.

I don't have an issue with anyone driving at whatever speed they deem happy with, and I would not want anyone to drive faster than their limited ability can cope with, but by the same token I expect the same courtesy from them.

So having been on the other side of this fence fence, I ALWAYS allow and even encourage (when I can see ahead and they can't) faster traffic to overtake me when I'm gently touring in car or van.

After all it could be a doctor or a nurse on call and next time it might be me in need of help.

Apart from which it costs me nothing, often gets a friendly wave, defuses pent up frustration, and gets people in front of me where I can see what they are doing rather than tight up my rear end where I can't see them.

Why do people who wish to drive slowly seem to feel that they have a God given right to hold up the rest of us and then object by light flashing, horn blaring and hand waving gestures when we do nip past?

What have they achieved?

Rant over - thank you!

What always brasses me off is that for safety we are all supposed quite rightly to maintain a good braking distance in front of us. Two second rule being a good yardstick, but if you do there is always some nerd who keeps nipping into you braking zone. If you leave enough space in front for your braking zone AND for an overtaking vehicle then you are called "obstructive" and not keeping up with the traffic.

So is the only solution pedal to the metal, command the road, intimidate from behind until they pull off, push to the front and sod em all.? Typical white van man on multi-drop around town!.

Over!

Oh and Bob, the answer to your question is very simple, If they cannot overtake then why the hell should you be allowed to?. Simple logic.

Clive (also a biker)

As Clive says the two second rule is a good guide but how on earth do you overtake from two seconds behind, you have to be close to overtake surely and if you are close then you are intimidating.

You are damned if you do and damned if you dont

NO it wasnt me, Although I must admit ,I only travel around the 50 to 55 mph when on the A75 ,but I do keep my eye on any tail backs I may cause and pull in when I can , and often get thank you waves, Two fingers does mean thank you doesnt it, But I also know what its like being held up when I,m driving my car say going to a hospital Appointment, then I have to watch I dont become the dreaded Road Rage Roger, I keep this thought in Mind When away from home. I,m a tourist in someone elses domain and would like to be treated as I would treat anyone Visiting this Beautiful Part Scotland , ............ Yes even Tracker

It's not just 'leisure' drivers who can cause problems.

Yesterday I was following a large car transporter along a two-lane carriageway in a fast-moving line of traffic.

When it became one lane it speeded up to close the gap in front of it, marooning two cars on the wrong side of the road.

I had to brake sharply to let them in, otherwise we would have been in the middle of a pretty nasty pile-up.

No Corky it wasn't you holding the traffic up. We were travelling south on the A76 towards Dumfries.

I agree with you Tracker. What's wrong with pulling over to let traffic pass?

When we are in the van we have all the time in the world, so are perfectly happy to let people pass who are probably working.

One or two forumers say they wouldn't pull over but don't say why they wouldn't. Personally I would rather have a happy driver in front of me than a frustrated one behind.

Archived