Flourescent light fitting failure.

crinklystarfish

Can anyone help with this one please?

I was sitting minding my own business in the ‘van today when one of the roof mounted fluorescent light fittings simply stopped working. There was no spectacular pop, first there was light; then none.

I suspected the bulb, an 11 watt dulux type, but on fitting a spare still had no luck. I double checked the original bulb in another fitting and lo-and-behold it worked alright.

A check with the multi-meter shows there is 12V DC power arriving at the light fitting so the problem seems to be somewhere on the fluorescent fitting’s circuit board (I understand this is like a mini-inverter?) that sits between the 12V supply and the dulux bulb holder. Or indeed the problem could lie in the bulb holder itself?

The fitting is about 16 inches in length and roughly cigar shaped. The inside bears the name Pfeifer und Seibel (Germany/>/>).

Are these circuit boards prone to fail and can anyone help with anywhere I could buy replacements. I don’t mind buying the whole light if I have to, but it seems like a waste if there is a fix, or if I can just buy the board and / or holder.

Cheers

Hi Brian,

By the time I'd stopped prodding with my multimeter they'd closed but I'll be trying them in the morning (I still have the 2003 Knaus Traveller). I was hoping not to have to go that route if avoidable. Almost invariably it's a 6 weeks wait for parts and I held hope that one of the techie stars on here would be able to point me in the right direction for a board (or a 'magic' quick fix). I suspect the boards could possibly be generic.

Hi,

12v flourescents can be a pain they work for ages then just fail, usually at the most inconvenient time The problem with yours sounds as if the high voltage circuit has failed. Make sure that the unit has not suffered from condensation dampness is a real killer of this type of lamp. If your light is fitted is a special unit made for your camper then it may be expensive to replace. What you can do if you are handy with a soldering iron and comfortable with doing it, is to buy a cheap unit and use the electronic circuit to replace your faulty one,I have done this before quite successfully and saved the cost of expensive replacements

Have a look on Maplins site they sell 12v flourescents quite cheap. If you do this make sure you get a replacement the same lenth. hope this helps good luck

Geoff

Thanks to all,

I'm going to buy a cheapie and graft in the circuit board. I was thinking of building an LED strip onto the backplate of the standard fitting to obviate the need for a high voltage circuit, but as I've already changed all my MR11s and festoon bulbs to LEDs thought that the warmer and diffused tones of the dulux was worth retaining in this one fitting at least.

Cheers.

Archived