French Credit Card

Den

In view of the fact that many french fuel pumps can only be used with a french credit/debit card, can anyone advise how someone living in England can get one? We ran short one day and had to wait for a friendly french man (who could speak English better than we could speak French) to pay with his card and we gave him cash!!!

Try this one . I believe that you can do it from England .

BRITLINE OFFERS YOU MORE THAN JUST A FRENCH BANK ACCOUNT !

CA BRITLINE - OUR SERVICES

French Mortgages & loans House, Car, Health Cover

& other types of Insurance

The Britline French bank account Foreign exchange services

Saving & Investing Downloads

Credit Agricole is one of the largest banks in France, with over 8000 branches. CA Britline is a branch of Credit Agricole Normandie, which provides an English speaking French Banking service to clients resident in France, the UK and Ireland.

So that you can manage your money wherever and whenever, we offer :

opening of your new bank account without the need to come to France

24 hour on-line banking

Full English speaking service for all your French banking & insurance needs

Contact us Newsletter Practical Banking Fees Security & Privacy Legal Info Useful info

© 2007 Crédit Agricole Normandie

A lot of petrol stations are now accepting English cards and this will increase as they roll out the new system. I am sure that the card that Michelle has pointed to is like most French cards ie not free. The French banking system is very different to its English counterpart, with lower daily withdrawl amounts, fees each time it is used etc. Read the small print very carefully before commiting

Hi Den,

The French CB card (carte bancaire) is a debit card you can apply for one once you have opened a bank account with a French Bank I use CA Briteline based in Caen it is a division of Credit Agricole. You can phone 0033 231 55 67 89 don't worry they will answer you in english.

You can also apply for a bank account on line at WWW. Briteline.com you will find them most helpful I have used them for a number of years. The CB card is valid for 2 years and you get a new one about a month before the old one expires, I have had no problems. You pay about 10 euros for your card the first time it is issued, and you can pay a fee to protect you in case of theft and fraud this is about 5euros a month. The amount you can draw on the card is limited to about 1200 euros a month for the first year and then you can apply for a higher limit if you want to. It does not cost anything to use it other than what you spend, it is debted to your account the same day.

I use mine all the time in France for Fuel, motorway tolls, supermarkets, campsites etc and find it very usefull. French banking laws are different from ours, Interest rates on deposit accounts tend to be higher than the UK as well.

Hope this helps with your problem.

We had a Britline account for three years, but then closed it.  Everything Geoff says is true, and you also get a cheque book (which you can only use in France).

However, do be aware that it will probably prove quite expensive to transfer your Sterling to the Britline account, mainly as a result of the high charges levied by UK banks for this service.  Also, be wary of the exchange rate some offer.  If you want to park £20,000+ into the account for a major purchase (house, motorhome etc) it is excellent.  For smaller sums I think the costs outweigh the advantages.

Also to bear in mind is that French banking laws are much stricter than UK.  No bad thing but as the card is a debit card payments come direct from the account, there is no automatic (if any!) overdraft facility, and there are quite severe penalties for overdrawing.  I have been told that if you overdraw you get a pretty stiff letter, and if you do so twice you are banned from holding a bank account in France.  This applies equally to the French, it is not a Brit specific provision.

With a bit of advance planning you should not need to use the automated pumps at all.  If you buy your fuel weekdays/Saturdays you should be able to buy at the cash office, where a UK card will be accepted.  Better still, if you buy at almost any French supermarket you will be able to use a UK card, and get the fuel cheaper than at most other outlets.  The only drawback to this is that some supermarkets have rather tight approaches to the pumps, but more likely exits from same, and some have low canopies, so you need to spy these out before diving in.  However, unless your van has a Luton, or is greatly over 6 metres long, you should be able to get into and out of almost all.

Final rule, therefore, is always fill up before weekends, always fill when about 50% empty, and get your fuel when you get your shopping.  That way you should never get caught with the wrong card, should always get the cheapest fuel, and should always have fuel.  Overall, in my opinion, this is more convenient, and more economical, than a Britline account.

hi brian our le voyager is 7.82m ..but we have found fuel cheaper in unmaned fuel stations .although only once have we been close as previously mentioned.and thankyou for the info,we still need to look into some more i really do not like to throw money away.

Guest Le Thou

Hi Den

Just returned from 4 days in France and we have fuellrd up on Aires and unmanned using a common or graden Visa without any problems. We also have an account with Credit Agricole and always carry the cheque book just in case. You can use these cheques without a bank card ( of which you have to pay for) anywhere and they are accepted. I have said this beore but the rule in France is simple, iff you issue a cheque in France and there is insufficient funds in your account to cover it then your account will be frozen and all unissued cheques cancelled. It is considered that if you issue a cheque it will be honoured.

Also you will be blacklisted, not recommended. as for visa, we have had no problems.

The situation with French cheques is, theoretically, as stated.

A couple of years ago I inadvertantly bounced two cheques. After each one I recieved a letter from the bank that told me that I was, from that moment banned from having a cheque account in France for ten years. In fact, I think the Bastille was hinted at after the second offence. However, I could get myself back in the good books by buying a number of 'fiscal stamps' from the tabac and sending them to the Bank of France. I bought the stamps in the next village so that my shame wouldn't be broadcast in the village in which I lived. I was duly forgiven and normality returned.

It's an expensive lesson, but the reality is not quite as black as it might seem.

Archived