Route to Croatia ?

whisturx

Planning a trip to Croatia in June and wanted to go through Belgium and Germany but avoiding Austria and the dreaded Go Box as I'm over 3.5 tonnes and tandem axle, which with 230 km in the country, will be in the region of 200 euros !

We plan to travel down to Dubrovnik and ferry across to Bari in Italy (approx 214 euros we think ? ) Then up to Pescara on the east coast to stay with family. Back along the Riviera and up through Lyon.

Has anyone used the ferry across to Bari recently and would it be essential to pre-book for early June ?

I suppose trying to cross Austria without using motorways is a problem ?

Any other tips,recommended sites and places not to miss in Croatia, would be appreciated.

Ian

I would recommend the Plitvice Lakes. There's a cmpsite not far away with a regular bus service.

(About 16 lakes in a sort of 'staircase' arrangement ).

I think the site was called Korana.

We were lucky and had a bright sunny day there - and it is a full day out -quite a walk from end to end.

Can't help you with the route as we went long way round through Czech Republic and Slovenia.

Have a good trip.

Non-motorway in Austria is not a huge problem. If you intend using a sat-nav make sure that you have altered the settings to say no to tolls and motorways.

Going in via Saltzburg may be problematic as motorways abound. One way would be to enter Austria at Kufstein then wend your way towards Zell am See. From there you can take the Grossglockner pass or Tauern to southern Austria and then on to Slovenia.

;-)

The route we took in September 07 was through France into Switzerland were we we were sold a annual vignette by the border control staff (about 26Euro even though we were 4200kg and twin wheel) through the Gothard Tunnel into Italy round Milan, past Venice (which makes a good stop over for a couple of days) then onto Trieste crossing into Slovenia and onto Croatia. The route was easy all the way except round Venice were it can be a free for all going through the toll booths - just be brave and patient! We spent six weeks in Croatia travelling down the coast as far as the Montenegro Border and then returned travelling in land visiting the National Parks and lakes. We found 99% of the roads excellent, sites pleantiful, friendly and good value. We will certainly go again.

PS Don't miss Trogir - a jem of a place.

I would advise against taking minor roads as 'short cuts' in Croatia.

When we visited the lakes we tried a short cut back to the coast and ended up on 'roads' which were more like bridle paths( and once had minefields on either side !).

No such problems on main roads.

Many thanks for the advice. I will probably stick to the route I took last year through Basle,Lucerne,Milan and across to Venice.

We had a problem in Switzerland last year as we were diverted through a side road in Basle on a Sunday and the border post was unmanned. We drove through to a campsite near Lucerne where the owner advised us to go to the local police station. The police spoke no English,only German so our friends in a smaller van ended up with the annual vignette, but even producing my log book with the weight shown as 4.6 tonne got the response "vignette" so paid my 40 SF 's. It would have been a lot cheaper with the correct paperwork, as we were through Switzerland in 24 hours, but at least if we had been stopped I had tried to pay !! Although I hear the Swiss are sticklers for rules.

No answers to the Dubrovnik to Bari ferry ?

Are the Croatian roads peages ?

Is it relatively easy to change money or are euros accepted at all ?

Ian

Hi,

No, crossing Austria without using the Motorways is easy, as it is in any other country.

We went from Berlin to Croatia two years ago via Austria and crossed on major trunk roads without any problems. We crossed the Alps using the Brenner Pass which is one of the easiest to use. We then stopped at a very pleasant Municipal campsite on the shores of Lake Garda in Bardilino. This site was not mentioned in the Caravan Club Europe Vol 2 book of campsites in Europe.

The othe route across Austria, again no need for a Go Box, is to use the Fern Pass. This was told to me by a couple we met in Bardilino who have been using this route for years and were towing a Caravan. From Germany the route goes from Memmingen, Kempten, Fussen, Fern Pass, Imst, Landeck, Merano, Bolzano, Trento, Rovereto then head for Riva del Garda. The drive along Lake Garda is well worth the effort. There are no end of campsites along the lake but the Northern end is rather mountainous so the sites are steeply terraced. The southern end is more suitable.

There is supposed to be a good campsite in Merano for stopping the night.

From Bardilino we went to Venice- Punta Sabbioni- to be precise. We stopped on the Aire but next morning we found out that the campsite next door was offering a nights stay for the same price. From Punta Sabbioni you can catch a ferry to Venice which takes about an hour. We then traveeled along the coast to Croatia.

I hope this is of help.

Peter.

Archived