Fiat Ducato brakes

HWO

Hello all out there. I'm a new boy who needs some help. I have a 2.8 jtd Fiat with a tag axle Alko back end. The brakes seem a little bit spongy as if there is some air in the system The pedal travel is quite excesive, also handbrake has to be pulled up a fair old way to get it to work.The dealer who I purchased the unit from told me that this is the norm for a tag axle Alko motorhome ( that information comes from Fiat he said) . The motorhome is only a year old so the brake fluid should be ok and the level in the reservior is normal .Has anybody out there got a similar set of brakes.

The pedal should never be spongy. Can you pump it up firm? If so you could have air in the system which will need bleeding. If your not sure how to do it PM me and I will tell you, It's pretty straightforward with the right kit. Is the Servo working? Put your foot on the pedal and press lightly, then start the engine. The pedal should collapse with the Vaccuum pressure from the Servo.

HWO:

I seem to recall something in MMM's "Interchange"about long brake-pedal travel on motorhomes with tandem rear-axle Al-Ko chassis, so it might well be commonplace. With 6 disk rotors, it's perhaps to be expected that the pedal will move further than on a motorhome with 4 rotors and, because there are extra flexible brake-hoses involved, the pedal 'feel' may be springier.

Suggest you contact Al-Ko for advice:

http://217.199.167.226/alko-contact.htm

Hi, check the brake fluild is ok, also have a look around the hubs, look for fluild. You may have a slave cylinder on the way out. Sometimes the seals go due to lack of use.

Turn the engine on and pump the brakes, if they go hard then you have air in the system, this maybe due to lack of servicing or a slave cylinder seal allowing air into the system.

without looking can not say much more then that, sorry.

m

We previously owned a Burstner 747-2 tag axle van on an alko chassis and it had exactly the same brake problems. We tried several Fiat main agents for a remedy but they failed to cure it. The only way to get decent braking was to give the brake pedal a preliminary dab to overcome most of the sponginess. I know that this sounds like hydrolic problems but this was tested more than once and found OK. This vehicle also had the same weak handbrake.

For what its worth I was told that when the second axle was fitted the original braking system wasn't beefed up to take the extra weight that a tag axle invariably carries and this was the cause of both problems. True or not I couldn't say.

Archived