Lanzarote, anyone?

Tomo3090

I seem to remember reading a thread on here where someone said they'd spoken to someone with a motorhome on Lanzarote. Did they tell you how they had got there, whether they had encountered any problems and how long did they stay and where, as I have never seen any sites there.

Thanks

I've been to the island several times in the past 3 years and toured extensively by car. Every trip I saw motor homes wild camping in ones and twos at numerous points on the coast but especially along the less developed North coast I recall in particular near Playa de Teneza and La Santa.

Around Playa Blanca - it's not as ghastly as it sounds - in fact it has a really good and very long promendade and lots of restaurants, I saw several vans wild camping in unfinished roads leading to future building sites. Some also overnighted in the car park at the port, near to the ferry. That car park does get extremely busy though so I would not fancy it myself. Whilst walking along the peninsular towards Punta del Papagayo I came upon a deserted but very large campsite with amenity blocks, marked ashphalt pitches and hook-ups. The vehicle entrance was chained shut and I could find no information on it or when it was open. It would have been perfect for the Papagayo beaches but was nowhere near shops and the like. It was the only thing resembling a formal campsite I encountered.

At various points around the island there are riding schools, camel stables, tourist vinyards and similar holiday oriented businesses and very many restaurants that had adequate parking space but I do not know whether they would welcome a few extra euros to park overnight or whether it is legal for them to allow it.

The number and geographic spread of the vans I saw seemed to indicate that their presence was at least tolerated. Occasionally we came across vans tucked away on what was tantamount to their own private cove or beach a la Scotland but with high temperatures.

Wherever I went on the island, no matter how late and on foot or by car I always felt very safe and had no hint of crime. Driving standards can leave much to be desired and many roads are narrow but the main roads have been vastly improved with European funds. Do not attempt to drive a van through the capital Arrecife unless you picked it up at auction for few quid! Fuel is best obtained at or near the major towns.

Tap water is safe to drink all over the island but has an unpleasant taste as it is desalinated.

The main tourist office is Cabilda Insular de Lanzarote, Consejeria de Tourismo, Patronato de Tourismo, Blas Cabrera Felipe, 35500 Arrecife tel 0034928811762. In the past I have found that the island is well respresented on tourist web sites so a Google search should bring up lots of info.

Ferries I saw operating were Armas and Fred Olsen at Playa Blanca but I understand there are also Betancuria and Transmediterranea at Arrecife. At the port I found Armas staff very helpful.

Good luck with your search.

Bob

Stephen,

It was possibly me who said we had spoken to a Motorhomer in Lanzarote.

They had travelled by ferry from Cadiz via Gran canaria, three days cabin and food included in the fare.

They camped at beaches and in Car parks, obtained water from garages, but used bottled water for drinking as most people do even in the Hotels etc. The tap water is desalinated tastes flat, we were advised not to drink it !!!!!!!!!..

Around the North side and East especially you could be inspected by the Police as they patrol the coast by Helicopter on the look out for boat people from Africa.

I notice ther are several interesting points added to this thread..

David

ps diesel at the moment is the equivilent to 60p ltr out there

Thanks people, we have been there 4 or 5 times but on a plane! We have seen vans there too and wondered what the facilities were. We just might make some further enquiries and see if it is worth a tootle out there. After all the adventure is half the fun of owning a van eh? :-D

Hi Stephen,

Having thought about the entry I made last night re Lanzarote We personaly would not take the van there, not too sure we would want to go back again as we have seen most of the Island, although the locals are friendly and local food OK. There are too many brits ,tood many english cooked breakfast, too many pubs with TV. We can get all that at home if we want it.

But the weather is good. We swam in the sea now thats a treat in January. But we think it would be too hot in the season.

David

Archived