Silver Screens

Maubern

Hi Maureen.

Yes we have used Silver Screens for years and they do keep condensation off the screen, Silver screen also do a bib to under the bonnet which stops the draughts through the vents. Thats with the Paragon version. They have been several threads over the years about Silver screens and Taylor made. If you go into search and put in Silver screens you should find lots of comments.

David

Guest Le Thou
We bought one for the Auto trail from SilverScreens, fits perfectly and works a treat, also has the velcro flap on the windscreen section.

We have external and internal screens their use depends where we are.

external - on site in Britain.

internal - on aires or wild camping in europe.

if you get the external ones - get the sort that you can open and lets some light in during the day. That to me is the onlydraw back of ours. And no condensation after cooking breakfast!!

We also have a bonnet hood, which completely covers the front grill bonnet and top vents below the windowscreen, put this on first then the external screen - you will be surprised how many draughts you can get rid of.

An I have been told, but yet to find out personally that when parked up for the winter on some site in spain, they stop the leaves from piling up on the vents!

Carol

Guest Tracker

You can shut off internal draughts by simply closing the heater air intake slider at night.

More draughts are via the vents in the inside lower door trim panels and cab doors just below the locking mechanisms.

Also via the lower seat belt mountings and all off these can easily be temporarily remedied in colder climes.

I know there has been a lot of debate about Silver Screens etc but just wanted to share my experience of excellent service. My last lot of silver screens (internal) are still going strong after 15 years. I have recently bought a new van and wanted some external screens. The service I have just received from Silver Screens was excellent (from initial enquiry / receiving information through the post / ordering and receiving the screens took 4 days) and the new screen fits perfectly (2007 Transit). I had made various attempts to contact other companies via email and phone but was unable to contact them direct and neither did they reply to any messages.

I know they are perhaps a little more expensive than others but on my experience it was well worth the little extra cash.

Guest Tracker
BrianR - 2008-02-05 9:56 AM

In the owner's manual for my Auto-Sleeper, it says do not shut off the cab ventilation, as this is needed when using gas appliances. So you need to be aware of this requirement.

Brian

Interesting point Brian.

My understanding is that all fitted heating appliances have their combustion air drawn from outside the van as well as their exhausts vented externally.

This also applies to the fridge - provided that the fridge is properly sealed within it's cabinet.

The only ventilation needed is for the hob or oven, and as you don't use them whilst asleep I don't, in my capacity as a non expert, see any problem.

Any gas leakage would be covered by the gas 'drop out' holes in the floor so do not block them. But as these holes are all generally inside cupboards they are not an issue.

Of course those who use electric hook ups have no concerns with this issue at all!

Is there a difference between shutting the cab heater inlet internally and covering the inlet externally?

It there is a problem perhaps someone will elucidate please?

Unless, Rich, Auto-Sleepers haven't provided alternative permanent ventilation to the full extent required, and so are relying on the vents being left open. 

However, as you say, even if this is the case, provided a window or rooflight - or preferably both - are opened when using the hob or oven, where's the problem?

Guest Tracker
Bear in mind that when on the road bulky cold wet exterior screens need to be stored somewhere and as they will not fold down to their original size and not every van has a suitable somewhere it can be an issue?

Tracker - 2008-02-05 8:37 PM

Bear in mind that when on the road bulky cold wet exterior screens need to be stored somewhere and as they will not fold down to their original size and not every van has a suitable somewhere it can be an issue?

They do fold down to their original size and store in the bag they came with, well mine does anyway, even when wet, then I store it in the wee room until we either reach the next site or home where it can be taken out and either re-deployed or hung on the line to dry out.

D.

Guest Tracker
davenewell@home - 2008-02-05 9:02 PM

Tracker - 2008-02-05 8:37 PM

They do fold down to their original size and store in the bag they came with, well mine does anyway, even when wet, then I store it in the wee room until we either reach the next site or home where it can be taken out and either re-deployed or hung on the line to dry out.

D.

And hope that you don't want to wee in the wee room in the way eh Dave!

Archived