speed limits

Guest Kate

Hey Kate you certainly caught attention with your subject and got some nice replies. Get your foot off the pedal and don't be in such a hurry. Life goes fast enough I stopped doing things in a hurry when I got to my 9th child. Safe driving Peter

Hi Peter and thanks. I am in a hurry as I was diagnosed with breast cancer last November! Actually I know what you mean.I think what really annoys me is that the police waste an awful lot of time and energy on poor innocent motorists when they would be better occupied elsewhere. I don't mean that to sound like a cliche but I fail to see what good they will do prosecuting me when the 100 mph on the motorways and indeed the A9 people get off scot free! I do appreciate that ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law but it would be nice to have a clear idea of where to find the law in the first place!

the best explanation of speed limits that I have ever found is here: http://www.dcsafetycameras.org/ there are 2 versions to the limits - one summary and one detailed, you need to read the detailed version see bit with: "Passenger vehicle, dual purpose vehicle, motor caravan, car derived van exceeding 3050kg unladen or 8 passenger seats and : - " btw did you know we have more cameras watching us than anywhere else, apparently we have 20% of the world population - so much for rights abuse.:-( I agree with chief constable of Durham who is against gatsos, they don't pick up anyone driving at 'inappropriate' speeds - a different matter,

Kate, what a load of rubbish people have been telling you in these postings! In amongst it all there are bits of the definitive answer, which is: 1. Any motorhome with a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM - the same as Gross Vehicle Weight or GVW) as displayed on the vehicle's plate of more than 3500Kgs MUST be rigistered as Private HGV and NOT as Private Light Goods (PLG). However, it is still treated as a motorhome and the standard MoT test for cars and motorhomes applies, and not that for commercial vehicles. (Different arrangements apply to very large motorhomes with a MAM of over 7500KGs) 2. The same speed limits as for cars apply to motorhomes with an unladen weight of up to 3050Kgs. Above this weight, lower limits apply - 60 rather than 70 on dual carriageways and 50 rather than 60 in single carriageways, but still 70 on motorways. The unladen weight is defined in the legislation as excluding liquids, and tools and would therefore be taken to exclude water (fresh and waste), any baggage, and gas cylinders - indeed anything that can be removed from the motorhome without the use of tools. Accordingly, if your motohome has an unladen weight of under 3050Kgs, you should successfully appeal. The easy way to check this is by getting it weighed after removing everything and with as little fuel in as possible (or deduct the fuel load). The full details were in June 2005 MMM on page 16. The relevant legislation is the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, Part VI and Schedule 6.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bill Haylor
I may be an old fuddy duddy but I have no problem with any speed. I simply go by the number that is displayed on the "ROUND ROAD SIGN" Remember dear readers you'll never get to be millionare by rushing about. You have a brain between your ears USE IT!

Guest Kate Mckenzie
I have to admit that you are an old fuddy duddy or are you deliberately trying to stir things up?Did you read all the posts and realise that I WAS obeying the BIG ROUND SIGN!!! Did you also read the updated post and see that I got an apologetic letter frm Tayside Police stating that they had got it WRONG? Perhaps you should have used your eyes which should be connected to your brain in order to come to a better understanding of what the original post was all about,Kate

Yes I re-read everything today, my sincere apologies about that, at 76 one gets off the mark a little too quick. There was no wind up, I'm not into that way of life. Ps I'm about to buy a whoppa Motorhome so am very interested in all that is said here. (on that side I'm a very new boy !!)

Cheers Bill. It takes a big man to admit they were wrong. Hope you enjoy your new motorhome and look forward to meeting you somewhere someday. Happy camping!

Archived