"Corner steadies", what are they and why? Discuss!

Tomo3090

Guest Tracker

We have had these on almost every van in recent years and never once used them.

They seem much loved by mainly ex tuggers who have, I suppose, got used to having to use them on a tourer - along with roll along water carriers.

I suppose if you are staying on site for a longish time and slight chassis = movement bothers you they can be handy - but to us not worth the hassle of winding them down and back up again next morning.

If you do use them DO MAKE SURE that you put a marker on your steering wheel to remind you not to drive off with them down!

If it is a very windy night steadies might help you sleep better by reducing rocking but they won't stop the wind noise!

I fitted rear corner steadies to our 1990 highwayman and we use them every time we stay anywhere for more than one night. They stop the van rocking when you move about inside and make for a more comfortable living experience IMHO. Not every body feels the need for them though so its obviously a personal decision as to whether or not you use them.

D.

WE have got them on this van - the rapido and have only used them a couple of times.

The habitation door is between the wheels on the rapido and Charles is heavy on his feet especially when going out!

on our previous vans the door was behind the rear wheels and the van would rock as he stepped down! Rear corner steadies would have been god send on those.

Carol

handyman - 2008-02-25 9:40 PM

yes, i fitted steadies...........due to the worst part of campervanning, 'the starers'

'Go shag your own wife, and stop staring at my van moving'.........is what i want to say (lol)

I have NEVER "shagged" my wife, ever.

We make love but we never "shag"

OK, this ain't exactly On Topic, but hopefully I'll be forgiven.

A few years back, in the public toilets near the motorhome aire de services at Chateau Gontier, I noticed that someone had written on the wall a message in French on the following lines:

"Motorcaravanners, I am a young man aged 16 and have no sexual experience. So, when you make love in the evening, would you please leave a gap in your curtains so that I can watch you and learn? I will visit after 11pm"

Beneath this was an outraged reply saying that the original writer was a disgusting pervert and plainly had psychiatric problems that needed immediate treatment.

I found the whole idea hugely entertaining, as I could imagine this youth turning up with his step-ladder, gawping in through the windows and jotting down reminders in his little notebook as to what he saw. I considered adding a postscript on the wall suggesting that he didn't bother with motorhomes carrying GB plates, whether the curtains were open or not, but I now realise my No Sex-We're British assumption would have been very misleading.

The sexual element of motorcaravanning is something that UK motorhome manufacturers are failing to target. Why bother with a large separate fresh-water tank when you could keep the stuff in a water-bed's mattress? Let's have a high-pressure feed from the blown-air heating for the inflatable dolls, dedicated storage for the sex-toys and everything upholstered in slinky leather and rubber. Let's have SexNav as standard to assist men in locating those zones of female interest that have historically been so elusive. Forget the corner-steadies - let's have a suspension system that can actually rock the motorhome rhythmically when it's parked up. (If you've really got it - really flaunt it!) Rather than complain about the new Fiat's unpleasant vibrations, how about exploiting this characteristic for stimulatory purposes? Instead of the Mile-high Club, you could have the 1-in-4 Club. Sex while reversing a motorhome up a steep hill - now that would be a worthwhile achievement that British motorcaravanners would be proud to boast about.

Guest Tracker

I have never noticed the van rocking when we are in action and if others notice I hope it brings them a smile too!

That way we are all happy!

Perhaps I've had too much time on fishing boats to worry about a little bit of rocking?

put it this way, when we got the van, she wouldn't 'make love *-) ' in the daytime, when the starers are sitting outside their vans staring at everyone, and even at night, she was a bit reluctant..........

.............so, i obviously had to find a fix quickly, and the steadies were the answer

:-D

More to the point, i dont want anyone timing me and then understanding why the wife looks so miserable (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

when we were down in Portugal a few years back a couple were a going at it big time in/on one of those roof top tents - the type that look like a roof rack/box and fold ou to a tent. everyone was watching as it looked like the poor little car was going to fall over under the stress.

As you all probably know by know Mrs Mental's idea of amore is a little darker then normal and I have the scars to prove it. so out of consideration fwe try and park some distance from others....

Well suprise, suprise I did'nt realise "corner steadies" could be so interesting, it has certainly shown some posters in a different light.

Handyman trying to be politically correct, although I loved the first reply and Derek Uzzell heavily into rubber and inflatables, keep it going this could be really interesting. (lol) (lol) (lol)

John D

On a boring and cleaner note....

We have a rear kitchen and notice a lot of bounce when getting in and out the side door and can rock quite a bit in the wind.

what steadies do people use, where are they fixed to, can you do it yourself, can you use those unfixed ones that mechanics use?

Can you harden the bounce with air suspension which we have and should this be done with more or less air?

We notice a lot of bounce while on the road - over speed bumps etc - what is the best way to stop this?

Loads of questions

Thanks Phantom

STOP! STOP! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP THE SEX TALK! What internet site have I logged onto here? After 31 years in the fire service my brain has never been subjected to such an assault of the senses. I now have images in my head that will take years of therapy to remove :-D

Ann has just read the replies to my innocent question and says she now understands why I spend so much time on here!

I now no longer care why I need corner steadies I just can't wait to get out in my new van and experiment for myself!

Thanks for the best laugh we've had for ages.

(lol)

• 2 weeks later...

used mine twice. ythe first time i drove off with them down, but a frienly engineer managed to straighten it for me

the second time i decided to move my moby a couple of feet on a site, so i could hose it down. yes, i bent one again.

call me thick, but i didnt do it a third time. they have been in the shed for the last 2 years. :$

to keep on the original theme of the topic, we have had them on all the coachbuilt motohromes we've owned, and used them regularly. The first coachbuilt was a 1993 Compass, a also needed airbagss to overcome the then wel-known rear-end sag, but we dound the steadies really did stabilise the van, especially in windy conditions, when it could actually even still be quite frightening if sleeping in the luton bed.

The Rapido 710F had the steadies in an interesting place.......just forward of the rear wheels, probably because there was almost no overhang anyway. We did use them, but only when long term on any one site, as again it reduced ant suspesions movement, for example getting in or out of the van.

Our present motorhome, a rear-lounge Burstner Marano t595 has rather a long overhang, and whilst not used for one or two nights, we generally put thecorner steadies down if staying for any longer, as there is cconsiderable movement otherwise. Thise fitted to this van are far superior and a lot easier to operate than the previous ones, and I adopt the practice of putting the winder on the steering wheel when the steadies are down.

Archived