Value French campsites

dikyenfo

Does anyone know of cheap campsites on the Med. with average facilities on farm sites or w.h.y. that are less than 13 euros p/n I have rung up quite a few and can't get lower than this bearing in mind that end of April is hardly 'in season'. I can get good camping in Mimesan area for 7-8 Euros with all facs. except pool. B-)

I can't understand some people. Motorhomers on the whole have paid thousands of pounds for their vehicles and then some want everything that a campsite can offer for vitually nothing. As the saying goes, you gets what you pay for, and again I think this is true. Some people want all singing all dancing sites where others just want the basic amenities. I think 13 euros a night on the Med seems to me to be reasonable although it is a few years since we caravanned down that end. Have a look in the CC Europe site book, there may be something in there.

By the way, we paid 21 euros for one night at a site in Spain last March and there was nothing open except the reception, but it was needs must on that particular night.

Guest Tracker
We are all entitled to our own views on what constitutes a fair price for a camp site and I don't think it helps to criticise others who do not conform to your own viewpoint.

There's an aries in ramtulle right on the beach toilet and shower no disabled about 5 miles from st tropez and spar shop resturant

7 euros and a barrier at night. also in the same area a few yards up the road all singing and dancing but i that was 17 euros in October. But how ever much it cost its worth it.

Hi dikyenfo,

Just about within your €13 budget - with the current exchange rate - are Camping Cheques (www.campingcheque.co.uk). Looking at their 2008 directory there are several sites "on the Med". eg Sélection Camping -(www.selectioncamping.com) - "Just 400m from a sandy beach". Camping Cheques accepted 15/03/08 - 27//06/08 and 28/08/08 - 15/10/08.

Each cheque costs £10.30 and includes electricity, but not any local tourist taxes that might apply.

Touring Cheques may also be worth a look.

Regards Cattwg

Just in case you have difficulty in locating aries the ram in ramtulle, you may like to know that details of the two aires in Ramatuelle can be found on http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm - choose department 83 (Var) on the map of France. There is one aire at the North end of the Plage de Pampelonne, called Tamaris, on the Route du Tamaris - N43º 14' 20.544", which is open all year. The other, which I prefer, is at the other end of the bay, near the village of Bonne Terrasse - N43º 12' 41" - which is nominally open June to September, but I have found it open outside these months. The problem of looking for cheap campsites with facilities out of season is that they are almost entirely either municipal sites or camping à la ferme sites, which usually don't open until June at the earliest.

The problem as I see it is that "free" campsites have to be paid for by someone usually the local tax payer. They are getting more and more popular and hence causing more problems with congestion etc in small towns so I wonder how long it will be before many more restrictions are placed on free camping in the more urbanized areas.

My advice is to enjoy them whilst they're still there.

dikyenfo - 2008-02-28 3:28 PM

Does anyone know of cheap campsites on the Med. with average facilities on farm sites or w.h.y. that are less than 13 euros p/n I have rung up quite a few and can't get lower than this bearing in mind that end of April is hardly 'in season'. I can get good camping in Mimesan area for 7-8 Euros with all facs. except pool. B-)

You are talking euros remember not pounds! you would be hard pressed to find a campsite in the UK for £13 a night and with pool £20.

djchapple - 2008-02-28 9:48 PM

The problem as I see it is that "free" campsites have to be paid for by someone usually the local tax payer. They are getting more and more popular and hence causing more problems with congestion etc in small towns so I wonder how long it will be before many more restrictions are placed on free camping in the more urbanized areas.

The "free" campsite is there to promote tourism to that town which would normally be bypassed by tourists. The local council provide the facility hoping that we/others will sped our hard earned on local goods/services in their town or village.

They are there to stay for a very long time IMO.

Chief - 2008-03-01 7:44 AM

djchapple - 2008-02-28 9:48 PM

The "free" campsite is there to promote tourism to that town which would normally be bypassed by tourists. The local council provide the facility hoping that we/others will sped our hard earned on local goods/services in their town or village.

They are there to stay for a very long time IMO.

Tell me something please

From an economics point of view

If motorhomers won't/cannot pay 13 Euro's per night for camping just how much would you expect them to spend in the local economy

Why won't/cannot they (good grammer there) is it because the repayments on their motorhomes loans are taking too much out of their disposable incomes :D :D :D :D

And before you all start Im not looking for a scrap, this is TOUNGE IN CHEEK STUFF :D :D :D :D

We are quite happy to cruize around for a time but like to set up more permanent arrangements for longish stays and that is why we tug a small trailer with cook tent and cooker and french gas bottle and therefore like to spend as little as possible. To that end all info. is useful and we keep a book of all things useful such as Forges-les-eaux where short stays are totally free on hard standing but the hook-up is free also.I shall spend all June at Bias on a super site for about 7 euros and the owner has a Rapido and therefore has built in all the necessaries for his own convience; washing m/c is only 2.5 euros which is more than favourable. I get most sites from the FFCC book which is on sale at most supermarkets and I get a new one erery year. Hope you more understand the reason for posting - not greed - convienience. :D

And before you all start Im not looking for a scrap, this is TOUNGE IN CHEEK STUFF

I am a caravanner and it seems to be traditional on here for there to be a ever running, friendly, snipeing, going on between motorhomers and caravanners.

Just didn't want to miss the oportunity

Guest Tracker
Syd - 2008-03-01 10:47 AM

And before you all start I'm looking for a scrap, this is NOT TOUNGE IN CHEEK STUFF

I am a caravanner and it seems to be traditional on here for us to be continually ever sniping at motorhomers.

Just didn't want to miss another oportunity

Just because you tuggers have little choice in that you have to pay high site fees in order to have the group security - herd instinct it is called - of being with more of your kind why do you so resent us free spirits not having too?

Just being able to explore all day, or stay if we wish, with no commitment and the luxury of changing our minds if we wish - and then to find an Aire for the night for free, or maybe as much as 7 euros, and just move on when the mood takes us is a philosophy that the species 'tuggerous maximus gregarius' cannot be expected to grasp!

Tongue in cheek of course Syd!

Syd - 2008-03-01 10:21 AM Tell me something please From an economics point of view If motorhomers won't/cannot pay 13 Euro's per night for camping just how much would you expect them to spend in the local economy

In the spirit of your query, Syd, I'd suggest that as most of us are on some kind of budget, the cheaper the site/aire, the more we have to spend elsewhere.  So, if  the site owner takes a bit less, the baker gets a bit more.  Another croissant, anyone?  :-)

So, if  the site owner takes a bit less, the baker gets a bit more.  Another croissant, anyone?  :-)

Nothing finer than staying in a free Aire and wandering round the town in the morning and spending a few Euros in a French Bakery!!

Yet again Brian hits the nail clean on the head with his assesment. Personally if I stay at an Aire or even just call in to use the facilities I always try to shop locally. If everyone did this then local maires would be only too willing to provide aires and maybe we might even get a few over this side of the channel. It does make my blood boil to see motorhomers going out of their way to avoid paying at aires, such as the guy who left Le Treport Aire every evening just before five and returned about seven, I don't think he had to do his shopping every night at this time.

Archived