Rome via France

Cattwg

Towards the end of April we are going to Rome. We had intended to use the Archeobus whilst there. However I have read conflicting reports regarding it - different prices, unhelpful guides/helpful guides, good audio system/useless audio system etc.

Does anyone have recent first hand knowledge of this service? If so what is your opinion? Would it be better to use the normal service buses within the city? (I am aware of the daily/weekly ticket options).

Regarding campsites. Any opinions on using those very near to Rome or is it better to use the more distant ones and use public transport (bikes!?) into the centre?

I would appreciate advice and opinions.

Regards Cattwg. :-)

I can recommend the Flaminio site, on the via Flaminia, to the North of the city. There is a good rail link to the city only a few minutes from the gate, or buses into the centre from the gate. Details on www.villageflaminio.com or info@villageflaminio.com

It was quiet and not crowded in April.

Guest JudgeMental

Have been to Rome but not with camper. I would think in April you should have no problem with sites, Just be aware of personal security while in Rome particularly on public transport and tourist spots, were your attention can become diverted*-)

May I ask why you are going via France as I believe its cheaper and just as fast via calais - Luxembourg - Basel - Gotthard tunnel - Milan and on to Rome.....

Hi John

Flamino and Romaflash are two good sites which offer good transport into the city. Regarding the tour buses some of the audio are damaged and are useless. If you tend to sit at the front you stand a better chance of getting a working one. Be very careful of your security at all times in the city, esp' anyone selling flowers etc'

Be aware of motorway bikers and cars that try and trick you to pull over. If you see nothing wrong with your unit DONT PULL OVER. If they are the Police they will now always pull you over into a Police pull in area and with a blue light.

Regards,

Brendan.

JudgeMental - 2008-03-10 9:32 PM

May I ask why you are going via France as I believe its cheaper and just as fast via calais - Luxembourg - Basel - Gotthard tunnel - Milan and on to Rome.....

Thank you to all those who have replied to my query.

Via France? Simply to see some more of the country. We always make the journey part of the extended holiday rather than just driving to our destination. This time to travel the 'Routes Des Cretes' and the ‘Col De Larche’. We shall return via Florence - have been once but it's one of those places that need at least one return visit.

Regards Cattwg :-)

*-) we are also thinking of going to Rome in mid April for four/five weeks, and wondered what weather would be like, we travel from scotland and were thinking of calais crossing. I have noted some of the sites in replies, we tow a car therefore no to concerned about distance from Rome, just good sites, so any further info. very helpfull., also sites on route as our first time to Rome. Also we have the option of April or September?????.any help appreciated.

horse444 - 2008-03-11 9:52 PM

April for four/five weeks, and wondered what weather would be like ...... Also we have the option of April or September???

Hi Horse444,

Have just copied this off the www.tripadvisor.co.uk website:

'Good months to visit are May and October. In early May, the azaleas are placed along the Spanish Steps, the temperatures are warm but bearable, outdoor dining is a pleasure, and for those who enjoy the beach, Fregene and Ostia are short rides away on public transportation'.

Sounds good either side of the summer!

Regards Cattwg :-D

Archived