What tools do you take

DENBOY

I was wondering what tools you lot take with you when on two to three month continental trips, did three years all around europe in the dim and distant past in a huge american thing and took workmate-electric drills even a welder!!! But now I've grown up a bit (something I said I'd never do) I don't quite know were to draw the line, socket set-cordless drill? I've got good insurance with breakdown cover but you never know whats around the next corner, which is I suppose why we all do what we all do.

I don't think Clive (Mott-Gotobed) has grown up yet then as he takes just about the whole of the contents of his shed and garage by all accounts! (lol)

For the 'mechanicals' we take a selection of the more standard tools, spanners, pliers, old screwdrivers, spare fuses, bulbs, fan belt, oil, etc, etc. And for the rest of the vehicle thinks like a small tool set, about the size of a filofax which has a good selection of bits and bobs, ie several sizes of screwdrivers, pliers (so we have clean ones!). In additon, it's good to have stuff like gaffer (duct) tape, insulation tape, jubilee clips, cable ties and the like.

Unless you're going to the far reaches of Mongolia the you can buy stuff wherever you are holidaying so just take the stuff you might need to get yourself going, yes you've got breakdown insurance, but if it's summut silly that needs fixing it's much easier to sort yourself than wait for a few hours and they try to explain things in a foreign language.

I only take a major toolbox when I'm planning to fit stuff for other people. Normally I take spare bulbs and alternator belt and basic tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, digital multimeter etc. anything requiring more major tools and I call the breakdown service. Carrying too much justs eats into your available payload.

D.

What you take must, surely, be dictated by you, and your vehicle.  There is little point in carrying around stuff you don't know how to use, or are are unhappy using. 

If your vehicle is newish there will be little, in practical terms, you can do to/with it under the bonnet, so you are likely to be limited to changing wheels and/or re-fixing/tightening anything that has worked loose.  Even hose clips, these days, often have patented clips that require special tools to release/re-fix.  So, a selective assortment of spanners and screwdrivers, plus a torque wrench for re-tightening wheel nuts/bolts, should be all that is required.

Crimp on terminals, crimp, insulating tape, sundry automotive fuses, electrical screwdrivers, pliers etc, for conversion electrics, mains and 12V.  Multimeter for fault tracing.  Good penknife/Swiss Army knife/multi-tool etc, for making pens, taking stones from horses hooves, etc.  :-)

Gas and water systems should not require more than the above, nor should such items as roll out awnings, or hinges, blinds, catches etc inside the van.  Gaffer tape and a Mole wrench or two should cater for anything the above won't fix.

If the vehicle is older, and/or you are an inveterate DIY fixer, you may need a selection of spares to cover what looks iffy, or things you think you may not be able to get locally while away.

I agree with Brian, you can do very little with the modern computer controlled engines, unlike the engines of yester year when you could fit new plugs, points & condenser etc; only things I would add to his list is a tin of WD40 & a roll of duct tape, if it`s stuck and it shouldn't be, spray it with WD40, if its not stuck and it should be, wrap it with duct tape.

Oh ! as a final thing, a Swiss Army WIFE, at least then you can find something to keep you occupied while you wait for a breakdown truck.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, enjoy it.

Phil

Hello, I used to fill the motor with tools! Now I take a tool roll with hammer, pliers, tape, set of screwdrivers, small packet of various self tap screws, about a meter of cable a few cable connectors. I also take a socket set in a small bag.

Invariably, whatever you take you will not have the right tool for the job. I keep to the above, it does and if I get desperate borrow or buy.

steve

I bought a CD workshop manual off e bay and keep it in the van. I also take the laptop away with me.

The CD is in several languages, so if I'm abroad and have a problem, I can either have a go myself or involve a local garage.

Another item I keep in the motorhome (as yet unused), is an airbag which attachs to the exhaust and raises the vehicle. Having been bogged down once, I want to be able to extricate myself in the event of there being no Bugger about !

A small tool roll to tighten anything that might come loose, my Green Flag membership card, mobile phone c/w charger, flat hose casette and a good mix of hose couplings, levelling chocks, plastic grip mats for slippery grass, 12 volt tyre pump c/w pressure guage. Four small light planks to park on so we don't sink into muddy ground over night. Orange reflective waist coat, reflective triangle, good torch, spare batteries. Rubber mallet, small folding shovel. Electric test meter, a collection of various rolls of sticky tape, fuses, spare bulb kit. Tow strap incase I find someone who wants a tow out of a muddy field. A good plastic sheet to lie on just in case I want to look under the 'van. Wellies and a good water proof all weather clothing. WD40. A few old tatty towells are handy specially when rolling up the hook-up cable on a wet day. The wife, cork screw, but not necessarily in that order.

Several bottles of fizzy Spanish Cava rosado wine, several packets of Walkers Cheese & Onion crisps, a bottle of Baileys (of course) and a mobile phone.

And the Sparkle.

And some money.

Various combinations of the above seem to resolve almost every situation we've encountered thus far in Spain most satisafactorily.

BGD - 2008-03-16 3:27 AM

Several bottles of fizzy Spanish Cava rosado wine, several packets of Walkers Cheese & Onion crisps, a bottle of Baileys (of course) and a mobile phone.

And the Sparkle.

And some money.

Various combinations of the above seem to resolve almost every situation we've encountered thus far in Spain most satisafactorily.

What about Mutley!!!!!! 8-)

Archived