Public transport Switzerland

Poppy

Hi Poppy

I've just checked Swiss Transport website and dogs are welcome. If they are under 30cm in height (at the shoulder) and in some sort of carrier they travel free. If they are larger, they cost half price second class. For more info look at SBB website. Search on Google.

Regards Nick

It is about 5 years since I visited Switzerland but at that time I took my Sheltie everywhere with her brother who is the size of a rough collie and we were never asked to pay. We used the trains frequently, cable cars, gondolas and the lake steamers but not the buses. Incidentally you might be able to obtain a visitors parking ticket something like the disabled badge card which allowed free parking.

http://www.bvet.admin.ch/themen/01614/01884/01888/index.html?lang=en.

I have just searched the official Swiss site (see link above) and there is no mention of special rules to tourist dogs except for the usual rabies precautions. Other sources of info would be the Caravan Club or the Swiss Embassy who could advise you definitively. It may depend on what breed of dog you have - big and potentially dangerous dogs are banned all over France now but do not know about Switzerland. All it mentions is a ban on docked tails etc. but this does not apply to tourists anyway.

I cannot remember the situation in restaurants as we always ate outside with the dogs.

I am very envious of you as I really love Switzerland - have a good time.

Archived