Hiya fans good buddies n .. .. ..

twooks

well. twooksie is BACK

had a great time, recommend NZ to anyone - well perhaps not - it's a great place and doesn't need any %&$((*(^% !

Missed me???????????????????

no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh well :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I note from a quick check on here and other forums that not much has changed - oh well -

time for a glass of red

NZ does cracking reds - not cheap tho unfortunately -

and we only saw one sperm whale :'( :'(

B-)

what sunny shores >:-( >:-(

got off the 'plane at Newcastle - the wind blew past - right into my - - - - - innards - never been warm since :'( :'( :'(

I have every confidence that spring will come - and then be followed by summer however - despite all the bedraggled lambs around at the moment

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

B-)

Hi Twooks - welcome back

Did you hire a MH when you were in NZ?

We intend to do this in Oz next year and are also planning to do so in NZ a year or two later.

I understand many people from the UK do this and it sounds exactly what we want to do. So very interested in your views etc.

If you didn't hire a MH tell us about your trip anyway as I am sitting here with the cold and damp outside, more than a little fed up that another wet w/e is all I have in front of me.

:-(

CliveH - 2008-03-29 7:00 AM

Hi Twooks - welcome back

Did you hire a MH when you were in NZ?

We intend to do this in Oz next year and are also planning to do so in NZ a year or two later.

I understand many people from the UK do this and it sounds exactly what we want to do. So very interested in your views etc.

If you didn't hire a MH tell us about your trip anyway as I am sitting here with the cold and damp outside, more than a little fed up that another wet w/e is all I have in front of me.

:-(

Didn't hire a van - we went for a Subaru Legacy 'cos we used to have one a few years ago. We only had 2 weeks on each island - which, given our usual routine in the van - would've been pushing it to do everything.

we met a couple from Vancouver who've been going for several years for upto 4 months at a time - and they reckon to spend 4 months per island each trip on a turn and turn about basis.

It's a fabulous place - Scotland with ATTITUDE - unfortunately they also have their version of the stcts midge !!!!!!

We used Emirates - because they go from Newcastle - spent 24 hours in Dubai - an education and eye-opener - the speed limits 60 - so that's what they do! regardless of logic or safety

Then - Sydney for a coffee and refuel - Christchurch - beautiful - laid back -

across the Alps on the Trans Alpine Railway - Lake Wanaka and a flight over the Alps to a cruise in Milford Sound - a visit o the blue penguins in Omaru - Antartic Centre in Christchurh - crayfish in Kaikoura - ferry through the Marlborough Sound - [speechless] - to Wellington - Te Papa museum and the waterfront - Napier and Art Deco - Rotorua and mud pools - Matakohe and Kauri trees - Paihia and threading a needle through a hole in the rock - a magic loo -

Sydney for 4 days - pass for the ferries - a plodge at Manly Beach - a skywalk in the Sky Tower - fabulous if pricey room overlooking Darling Harbour

food - great , wine - great - [but not cheap], people - great , country - great

but

go for months not weeks - there's so much to see - and it's weather dependent - if you want the full effect

if you want a van - and don't mind if it's not that new - look at the 'wild ones' anybody can hire from Maui and Kea and Britz - but first check out:

http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/

http://www.escaperentals.co.nz/pricing.asp

jucy > http://preview.tinyurl.com/2d3rnr

http://www.campervanhirenz.co.nz/?c=1093&a=1114&gclid=CPrF_pS4s5ICFRvs1AodaS7vQg

driving is a doddle - except around Auckland - diesel was 50p a litre !!! but is set to rise, [petrol just less than 70p a litre and the same!] {Similar prices in Oz]

oh yeah - don't go in February - despite what anyone else sez!

In January you're competing with maybe 2.5 million Kiwi potential holiday makers

in February you've got 10 times that number from UK, Oz, US, Canada, France. Germany. Japan, etc etc etc

And - it was brilliant

weird tho - when you're in a foreign country and they speak English, and drive on the left ----- I kept wanting to drive on the right!!!!!

so - go

and if you're of the right age and skill level - emigrate NOW

downside - most things are made in China - so watch out on your souvenirs,

it is on the Pacific Rim - so they have volcanoes and earthquakes,

it's a long thin strip of land in between the Pacific - Australia - [or West Island as the Kiwis call it] and the Antarctic - so the weather can be - interesting.

it's green, with mountains and sea and lakes and rivers and vinyards

GO!!

B-)

just a few thoughts on the subject :D :D :D :D

And you should put some of your piccys on the piccys only thread ok !

My mate owns wanika jets she is theonly woman witha jet ski boating oh I never did take it in she earns a fortune taking them up and down Wanika river stream whatever , She said that when the chineese come they pay rediculus amounts of money luck cow :D

Chris Rea is THE MAN!!

When you see him, give him my regards, and ask him if he still remembers a fantastic blues harp player who might have jammed with him on stage at Wembley in 1997.....and who just may have brought the house down!!

B-)

:D

michele - 2008-03-29 11:26 PM

And you should put some of your piccys on the piccys only thread ok !

My mate owns wanika jets she is theonly woman witha jet ski boating oh I never did take it in she earns a fortune taking them up and down Wanika river stream whatever , She said that when the chineese come they pay rediculus amounts of money luck cow :D

NOW you tell me - could've got mate'smate's rates :D :D

when I suss out the photos and how to do it I will

B-)

BGD - 2008-03-30 2:53 AM

Chris Rea is THE MAN!!

When you see him, give him my regards, and ask him if he still remembers a fantastic blues harp player who might have jammed with him on stage at Wembley in 1997.....and who just may have brought the house down!!

B-)

:D

Hi Bruce - we're at N/c City Hall - great venue - tried to get tickets for Knopfler there as well - sold out in seconds apparently

my mate is the BIG fan - has everything ever issued -

I first saw him supporting Lindisfarne in '81 - never seen a support act go down so well

of course - we're about the same age - so I may have met him in his dad's ice-cream bar

:D :D

B-)

CliveH - 2008-03-30 10:16 AM

Fantastic Twooks

Thanks a lot

Very much appreciated.

if you want anything else - let me know -

we didn't manage to bring all our usual tourist bumf back - maps n fliers n stuff -

but I might be able to fill in a few blanks

B-)

Archived