Sterling to Euros

Pat

Yippee off to Ireland Saturday can't wait!

Right! You very learned people what method is the best way to to change Sterling to Euros?

Do I change here at the post office? Or do I take cash and change when I get to Ireland?

I know that earlier this year when we flew to Spain when i looked at the exchange rates there I could have gotten 2-3 cents more than I did here at the Post Office!

Or use a credit card as much as possible?

Regards pat

M and S have recently been very competitive with exchange rates, certainly better than the Post Office.

Most credit card companies will charge you a fee for use outside the UK plus their exchange rates are poor. One exception is Nationwide, they don't charge a fee and their rates are generally good. 

Too late for this trip, but if you go abroad a lot the you can get a Euro account at Lloyds TSB. You transfer the sterling when the rate is best by telephone banking, then you get a Euro debit card and just draw out when you need it. You get them at the banks commercial exchange rate and because it is on a Visa card you can use them in shops and at cash points.

We have used one for about 3 years now and it is very easy to do and very secure.

The very best exchange rate that I know of-

If you know of any ex-pats living over in Euroland, ask them if they want some sterling put into their UK account, then in exchange they give you some euros at an agreed exchange rate when you arrive abroad at their place.

We often do this with friends and family coming over from the UK - and both parties win.

Archived