West Coast of Scotland Adventure.

Hymer C 9.

While we were at Carradale we had some lovley walks and cycle rides, and walks along the beach, it was a really nice place to relax.

From there we went to Machrihanish, where the famous golf club is, our Pitch was right next to it and overlooking the sea, one of my favorite things there was walking the Gouldrons, a wild walk along the sea, from where we watched seals basking in the sun and gannets diving like arrows into the water time after time, wild goats came down from the hills and just appeared by us

I cannot manage to get pictures on but if it is ok I will E mail some to Michele and Janine and perhaps they can put them into these posts for me.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dublin bay prawns my fav lucky you glad to see you are having a nice time carol. Also taking it easy when are you home ? Post me the e mails and I will endever to have ago but this servers is laousy at the moment ..

You take care now keep us posted ok

Our second day at Machraharnish, we went into Cambell Town, went into the heritige centre which was very interesting and gave us a better understanding of the town, there had been 26 distilleries and a huge herrings trade in the 18th centrary, we also went to the Linda MaCarthy gardens, because of the song Mull of Kintryre we went the ride to there and walked down to the lighthouse, a long hard walk, I should loose weight with all this cycling and walking, but I havn't. Carol.

From Cambletown we went up the A83 (this route is not nearly as scenic as the B842,) but we stopped at a site on the beach at Tayinloan, not a site I would recomend but we could get the ferry across to Gigha, (if we would have known we could the ferry with the motorhome accross to Gigha as when you get there they encourage you to bring your motorhome and there is no charge to stay there) It is a lovley friendly place with a beautiful garden well worth a visit. Carol.

Hi Colin yes you were right, it was a beautiful place, our posts crossed, We are now on a site at Oban and have had a good look around, it is about 25 years since we were at Oban last, the weather as been beautiful here today and I am still in my shorts; Tomorrow we are on our way up to Fort William.

There is a guy in a little tent next t us and I got talking to him he is on a big Motorbike, he told me its his 50th birthday today and he has rode up from Teeside to the Highlands today, as that is what he wanted to do on his 50th birthday. I think it amazing the different people you meet as you travel around. Carol.

Youll have to ask him where abouts in Tees-side he is from Carol!! that is where I live!

How long will you be in Bonny Scotland ? you can tell your neighbour that it has been overcaste and cold here since Sunday. Oh Ive just noticed the date you will now be in the Fort William area I didnt know there was a site there :-D be carefull if you climb Ben Nevis!! there is a lovely restraunt there looks alike a log cabin we had Venison in Rowen berry sauce it was scrumptious. Take care Margaret.

Hi Margaret, There are a number of sites at Fort William, and no doubt even more since we were there, As we went with friends who had quite young children we didn't 'do' Ben Nevis' Which site did you stay on there was a lovely one right at the foot of the mountain, quite near the road though and unsuitable for kiddies, Are you soon off on your travels ?

Hope you enjoy, Ria.

Hi, I'm back on line, from Oban we went to Fort William, then made our way up to Arisaig, and found such a nice site there that we stayed for 5 nights, when we arrived someone had just pulled off the pitch overlooking white sands and turquoise water, and for some reason the sun was out and hardly went in, We went for bike rides where we watch Deer on the mountain side watching us, more Herons than I have ever seen before, and so many wild flowers, Yellow Iris just coming out loads of bluebells, wild violets, and primroses , and not a soul around but us.

On Saturday we thought we better head home as we have our next trip booked for 1st June, so on Sunday morning we left Arisaig at 7am and travelled the 388 miles home arriving at 3.30pm had a excellent journey home with no holdups at all.

Thanks to everyone who gave me help and idea's where to go, and there is certainly another trip to be enjoyed to Scotland again, we had a wonderful time and everyone was so friendly, and we did not get even one midge bite. Will get some pictures on. Carol.

For Rob & Colin, the other interesting birds I watched was , lovley little twites on the shore eating the danilion heads, watched them from out of the van for ages.

Also on the Island of Gigha watched a Great Northern Diver for quite a while.

Also at home we don't often hear the cookoo very often but it was heard all over Scotland and we had a few sightings as well. Carol.

Well guys here goes Carol has asked me to post these hope it comes out ok ...She said it was the best Fish & Chips The sun set set everynight like that . The foal was only two days old .And the one of Hymie on the beach was a good probably the best camping spot ...Hope thats right Carol.

002.jpg.2987e80a7124c91fd51729d79f79ad75.jpg

030.jpg.7707b1cfdd4d201f15aedadffaab4777.jpg

035.jpg.4f1c7c32cf2524a43ba597f35e6ebb22.jpg

052.jpg.5077ca3b19029262b43a416bf79579a3.jpg

078.jpg.4dc4d6189b23cb5db186c3e2ee44689a.jpg

Lovely pics Carol and I love Scotland as well we find it much more relaxing driving North once past Edinburgh, Where were you pitched next to the beach? that looks idylic. If you like good fish and chips Whitby is the place we dont care for the Scottish fish and chips as you cant get Cod its crazy they catch it there but they sell it elswhere. :-S

Where are you heading for in June? Im getting all panicy and we dont go till 24th I suppose its the unknown we have never taken the van abroad before, I suppose Ill be alright once we get the other side I was always like this when we were flying until we took off and them all my butterflys went. :-D

It depends which side your going! I always think they are more midge the west side and round the lochs, but we were at Oban in June a couple of years ago I took plenty of midge deterent and I didnt need it. Go prepared but dont worry about it.

Hi Tomo, what Maggyhd said is right the midges seem to be mostly on the West side, that was why we did it early, the last couple of days we were there they were starting to get around in the evening, and around the water taps.

Two years ago we did the East Coast in June and did not have any trouble with midges. If you do the East Coast and get the chance the CCC site at Rosmarkie is worth a stop and if you don't need a electric hook up for a couple of nights the pitches are on the beach, you can watch when the Dolphins come in and see the seals swim past. and the pub in the village does wonderful locally sourced food.

Another place worth stopping is Pittanween not very far from St Andrews but a lovely little harbour town well worth a visit.

Where ever you get have a great time. Carol.

malc d - 2008-05-25 1:19 PM

maggyd - 2008-05-25 12:46 PM

No they dont go for Men I dont think! its just us sweet and tender ladies. :-D

But the things you ladies spray on yourselves are meant to attract, aren't they ?

;-)

You could have something there malc! :-D

Although Im sure I heard that Old Spice works! as does Ever so (something) from Avon maybe Carol can tell you what it is I know they sold it at the C.C. Oban site.

The plan it seems is to follow in Carols tyre tracks! We haven't planned that way but co-incidently it's where we intend to visit too. Great minds you see!

We will probably get over to the East though because my brother lives in Inverurie near Aberdeen, so I supose while I'm up there he's worth the diesel! :-D

Archived