Cutting a Tyre

michele

My Inside right tyre seems to be wearing faster than all the rest .

We have had them off to have a good look and we noticed that the tread on the inside is almost gone on the front .

Is this the tracking and if so how easy is it to do .

Thanks in advance

Sounds very much like tracking to me Michele, we had this on a new car, after 6 months one of the tyres had worn badly on the inside and we had to replace it. You'll need to source a tyre first, the same as you've got on and when it's fitted get the tracking sorted out as well, it shouldn't be difficult but you might struggle to find somewhere who can do this on your size of vehicle.

Hi Michele,

Sometimes it is not just the tracking it can also be the camber angle ( it's the way the wheel is standing or as some people say leaning inwards or outwards) This can be seen sometimes if you look from the front of the motorhome about 5 feet back.

Anyway it should not be a big problem to put right just ask them (garage) to check the camber angle along with checking the tracking

Regards,

Brendan.

michele - 2008-04-22 6:10 PM

Thank you just asking whats the difference between a normal should we say car garage machine and a commercial one can't all tyres fit all machines ... that hasnt come out right but i know what I mean .

Michelle

If your garage can get the van into where his machine is there is no difference, they may even have a mobile machine. If they can not however there is an ATS in Bishops Stortford on the Dunmow road, maybe 20 min's from you on a good day

Geof

isn't a camber and tracking the same ???? is that not why you have track rod ends ? I have never heard it called a camber rod end ..really confused now ..

Originally noticed it when o&A which caused us to have a better look .

It has cut at least a two inch bald part on the tyre totally taken the tread out around the circumfrance .

So if the garage checks the tracking this should put it right if i have it right ..

here's hoping

8-) Obviously we have hit a pot hole and shifted it ? well if that is possible not that we can remember hitting anything .Is there any other reason that the tracking would move .

Hi Michele, there is every chance that hitting a large pothole could alter the tracking. It could also have been wrong from day one! One reason for one front tyre wearing unevenly but not the other is "toe out on turns". Basically if the steering rack is not centred properly so that there are an equal number of turns of the steering wheel from straight ahead to one full lock as opposed to the other then the angle of the two front wheels during cornering (relative to the direction you actually wish to travel in) will not be equal and uneven tyre wear will be the consequence.

I have to say that your finding one tyre with a "two inch wide" bald section all the way round demonstrates that you don't check your tyres before a major journey. Sorry if this hurts but you really ought to look at all your tyres before every journey and definitely before every major journey to assess their condition and check their pressures. Do you even know what the pressures should be?

D.

michele - 2008-04-22 9:14 PM

isn't a camber and tracking the same ????

So if the garage checks the tracking this should put it right if i have it right ..

No

To put it simply, tracking is how much the wheels point in (or out), camber is how much they lean in or out, if it's one wheel then more likely (but not definatly) to be camber on that wheel, my VW and Suzi both had problems with camber yet tracking was spot on

79.5lbs. WE always check the tyre's dave BUT we always reverse park on to the drive and straight and inline we have never seen the inside of the tyre . Now you come to mention it the streeing is dogy it turns one way and if you took off it would take you that way . Its been like this since day one another lesson in owning an exspensive M/home is don't get your dealer miles away .

On the other hand after our first experience with brownhills it has put us off for life .Its to far to be messed about all the time so we will not be buying from them again.

We wash it all the time service and take care of it in the past month it has done 2000 miles .

Its not something that we regually do look on the inside of the tyres .

that dont mean that we dont check them just obviously not thoughly

enough point taken lesson learnt .

Archived