Which Bike Rack

Playtime

We are new to motorhoming, having just bought a new Starburst after looking around for the past 5 years has anyone on the site any helpful tips regarding what sort of bike rack to get fitted, body mounted or tow hitch mounted. Yours thoughts and suggestions would be most helpful.

Playtime - 2008-04-23 9:21 AM

We are new to motorhoming, having just bought a new Starburst after looking around for the past 5 years has anyone on the site any helpful tips regarding what sort of bike rack to get fitted, body mounted or tow hitch mounted. Yours thoughts and suggestions would be most helpful.

Well I dont think you beat a good Fiama. Of course there is a certain ammount of drilling involved in the fitting and best to have it fitted professionaly. Also need to take in to account whether you will still be able to open windows etc when fitted.

Another option is fitting a tow bar and then having a bike rack put on to your tow bar like I have on my car. However this is more costly.

Most modern vehicles and their towbars have a maximum download of 70 - 100 kg so this may limit the carrying capacity. Also because the bikes are only supported at one point (the towball area) flexing of the rack can be a problem. This can lead to damage to the towbar mounts because towbars are not designed to carry this type of loading.

Also when fitting a bike rack to the rear of a motorhome make sure that it is fitted in the correct place. many motorhomes have specially strengthened areas for mounting a bike rack.

"Normal" motorhome walls are very flimsy and not constructed to carry heavy loads.

Playtime

We have a 2007 Autocruise Starburst and specified a Fiamma Carry-bike Pro C 2 bike to be factory fitted. The advantage of this rack is the relatively small vertical distance (40 cm minimum) between the lower and upper mountings. With the lower mounts just above the moulding on the rear of our van the upper mounts are below the toilet window. This means that with the rack folded you can fully open the rear window, if required. Even with cycles on the rack you can still partially open the rear window.

More importantly, with the rack in this position it does not obscure any of the rear lights. If you don't particularly like the red fittings on the Fiamma rack you can get a rack with blue fittings. Also when this rack is stowed it does not protrude quite as far rearwards as the equivalent Omni rack.

The only 'downside' we have encountered is that you will probably have to turn your handlebars through 90 degrees to clear the back of the van, depending on the moulding at the top of your van and the design of your handlebars. However, this is a minor task using an allen key.

If you use the 2-bike Fiamma cover you may need to employ a portable step to get the cover over the top.

Two of the mounts will come through the bathroom wall into the shower area but these have a plastic cover fitted and are easily waterproofed.

Finally, I would check with Autocruise Customer Care and the latest Fiamma catalogue. Be aware that your rear mouldings may differ from ours as Autocruise seem to change the design every year.

I hope you will be as pleased with your Starburst as we are.

• 3 years later...

I'm resurrecting this thread because I have a 2007 Starburst and need to fit a bike rack, and all the local repairers are scratching their heads.

The distance between the bottom of the window and the molding is 41.5 cm and the Fiamma centers are 40 cm.

Has anyone else had a rack retro fitted with any success

Guest JudgeMental

have a look at Thule Omni racks they have a higher weight capacity then Fiamma so if you end up with electric bikes a better option. That being said I a towbar mounted rack the best option, higher weight capacity, easy for loading unloading, and no damage to back wall of camper....Plus it can be used on different vehicles.

Towbar protects camper from rear shunts as well :-S

I know towbars/rear bumpers don't come cheap but if you have got the rear payload available,it would be worth looking down that route...

We're toying with digging our bikes from out of the back of the shed(..although I could've swore we said this last summer?! :$ )but we'll probably only be looking at a simple towbar mounted rack...

Something similar to this(..because we have a rear locker):

http://www.carracks.co.uk/bike-racks/towbar-mounting/cm07d.html#

Started to write out a reply, then realised thread was started in 2008 ! Anyway, agree with all that Colin Weston has already posted, we too have a Starburst a 2005/6 model, already had a Fiamma 2 bike carrier fitted, 2 fittings in Shower not a problem, not unsightly and waterproofed easily. Able to open window ok.

I have fitted a 500Litre backbox onto mine, just right for outside chairs, dogs towels and food.etc.,

Rear number plate not obscured. Vehicle designed with very little overhang, so takes rear loading very well. Ray

Just measured posistion of my Fiamma bike rack on the rear of our Starburst.

Top fittings are exactly 70cms in from van sides, and 74cms Down from top rear moulding.

The R/H top fitting (looking from the rear) is 2.5 cms below the window frame.

Don't know if that helps ? does the 2007/8 model have a Larger rear lower Moulding,than the 2005/6 ??

Archived