Bessacarr Fiat swivel seat recall.

Travelling Tyke

Hello all. I am a newby to the site and find it useful and informative and as time goes on I hope to be able to contribute.

At the moment I have a problem and would like some information on the above fiat recall. They have over 4000 motor homes to do I believe and our Bessacar E605 is one of them.

I have tried to get Bessie done at a local Swift site, (we live in Norfolk) and it seems that they need 1/2 a day to carry out the task and I was informed that we would have to ammuse ourselves whilst the replacements were carried out.

I can remove the swivels and replace them in 1/2 hr and have done so having modified the drivers swivel to ensure that the locking pin fully engages the indent on the retaining ring and reset the retaining nut on the swivel pin to reduce play.

I contacted Bessacarr for more info. and found out, if my memory serves me right, that they covered the cost of of 1 hrs work per swivel.

The journey to the Swift site takes 1 hour each dirrection, adding 1/2 a day to that is a large chunk out of my day for a problem not of my making and time was tight then. I was happy that the swivels were as the manufacturer intended, ie now locked firmly and would not move under pressure, (the pas. and drivers seats had different types) and as such we were as safe as one is in an accident so the recall was put on the back burner.

Now that I have more time I have today contacted Newark Brownhills with the intention of getting the recall attended to. It seems that Brownhills want the van for the day....... I had expected 1/2 a day and had chosen Brownhills because we could browse the vans etc. and have lunch there. I asked if I could book the van in for 1/2 a day, the answer I got was that they do not have this type of system. Err, no thanks.

So what am I after? Well first info on what is done in the recall and just as important is there a motorhome site that can do the job in a reasonable time that will provide some attention to its customers and their waiting time. I dont mind travelling, we'll just make it part of a break.

Thanks in advance, and happy motorhoming to all.

I believe you are referring to the recall mentioned on page 236 of MMM May 2008.

As I understand from this article, the recall was not initiated by Fiat but came from Swift Group who installed the faulty seat-swivels as part of the conversion process. The MMM piece seems to be suggesting that a replacement seat-base (seat-swivel?) is needed to correct the fault.

Can't offer advice on a Swift Group agency that would meet your requirements. I think most dealerships would tend to want to book the vehicle in for a full day (even if it's likely work will take less time than that to complete) as this provides leeway should there be staffing problems due to sickness, etc. It also allows latitude should owners be unavoidably delayed when driving to the dealership.

HI JUST BOOKED MINE IN FOR 29 JULY LONG WAIT ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN WHEN ON THE ROAD,THEY NEED IT FOR 4 HOURS,ALSO DO I NEED SPECIAL LEISURE BATTERYS FOR UNDER THE SEATS HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM I LIVE IN LEEDS AREA SO IF YOU KNOW OF ANY PLACE THAT SELLS THEM YOU CAN E MAIL MANY THANKS COLIN

Archived