Cycle Rack

Norma

Well - thank you for all the advice. We've hung the cycle rack on the back of the van. Couldn't find Seek O'Flex in B&Q... So a nice man suggested No Nails. Done the job wonderfully. But as hubby found a couple of ½in self tappers at the bottom of his tool box we used them too, just to make sure. The screws were a bit rusty but seemed OK for the job.

We'll take it out for a run with the bikes on, tomorrow when the No Nails has set - and we can find some fuel. Mind you we could just camp in a fuel station queue and brew a cupper while we wait.

Norma.

Oh dear! I do not like the sound of this - self tappers. The only place I can think where you placed the self tappers are in the BOLT mounting holes for the brackets.

You should have got instructions with the cycle rack explaining fitting along with a mounting kit.

The brackets MUST be fitted with bolts through reinforced points on the wall and sealant is only used for sealing the bolts and brackets. The nuts are reinforced with a mounting plate on the inside.

'No Nails' is not suitable as it is not UV resistant, and also you want to be able to remove the bolts at a later date. The sealant for the bolts should be flexible as well as weak enough to allow bolts to be removed for replacements of brackets should they ever be damaged or wear.

Bonding the brackets to the wall skin is not strong enough as the skin will fail, self tappers are also not strong enough. You must use bolts and reinforcement plates. The ideal sealant is a thick mastic sealant, or alternatively silicon sealant.

DO NOT take it for a run tonorrow until you have fitted with bolts. Your self tappers WILL fail and you risk doing severe damage to the rear of your van as well as any following traffic.

I cannot stress this enough.

Jon.

edit - spelling typos.

Did you get a mounting kit with your rack, it should have included stainless steel coach bolts, plates, nuts, washers, and rubber sealing gaskets etc.?

Norma

Have you really just hung your bike rack on the back?

Self tapping screws into a plastic skin?.............. With the up and down jolting movements of the vehicle plus loaded bikes could exert a force equal to a sack of coal on those screws!

You could end up with big torn holes and the bikes on the road. I also hope you're not driving in front of me when they fall off.

And do tell me which fuel station you're going to light up in and I'll avoid that as well!

LB

You commit a traffic offence if any part of any load falls from your vehicle. Any modifications carried out MUST be to clear specifications and not some 'Heath Robinson' do it yourself idea. If you are not up to the job get an authorised dealer to arrange for the work to be carried out by a professional. Your insurance could even be invalidated by unauthorised mods.

If this was April 1st, I'd swear that this thread was a jest.

Ok … it was a wind up!

In fact we had to replace the 60mm bolts supplied by Thule/Omni with 100mm ones because our alluminium van wall is a lot thicker than most and has inbuilt solid cross members already fitted for a rack.

We were staggered by just how quickly the sound, but stern advice came back ... but come on ... "Seek O'Flex and brewing up on a forecourt!

Norma - 2008-04-28 9:57 AM

Ok … it was a wind up!

In fact we had to replace the 60mm bolts supplied by Thule/Omni with 100mm ones because our alluminium van wall is a lot thicker than most and has inbuilt solid cross members already fitted for a rack.

We were staggered by just how quickly the sound, but stern advice came back ... but come on ... "Seek O'Flex and brewing up on a forecourt!

Well, it was not a very obvious wind up, but no problems with that the thing is it is not a very amusing wind up. Some of us spend a lot of time replying to technical advice questions hoping to help someone out. It is not apreciated when you are made a fool off. At least next time try and make it more amusing. You would be amazed at the number of people who really do silly things, and what you discribed is not untypical of what some Motorhomers will do.

Yes I am annoyed and yes maybe I have taken this the wromg way, but I was genuinly concerned for the safety of your Mororhome and rack.

I will get back to my work now and helpng genuine people who need my assistance and appreciate it and not time wasters like yourself.

Jon.

If you want to play games on an informative and genuine M/H forum I suggest you go play elsewhere.

Leaving honest questions to those who are seek honest assistance.

You make light of the situation and using a fuel forecourt for brewing up, perhaps you may not be aware that some actually do these things until advised otherwise.

You should be aware that any genuine questions you may further ask will be disbelieved.

LB

I'm a cartoonist as well as other things and am always looking for humour in a situation.

But it does puzzle me why people need resort to wind up's when dealing with high cost items that can be taken onto highly dangerous roads, are they lonely?

LB

Archived