reading test

flicka

flicka - 2008-05-02 4:41 PM

Then there is the young lad with Downes syndrome, who has a photographic memory who is able to draw building archetecturally correct from memory. We also hear al ot of about Downes syndrome being able to play difficult music pieces by ear, yet do not understand music scores.

You are so right, flicka.

Stephen Wiltshire is the artist. He's autistic and can express himself through his incredible drawings.

Look at the number of musicians and artists who were classed as 'mad' in past centuries, like Van Gogh & Beethoven (although he might have been suffering from lead poisoning)

"In the cadet force at school, represented the school in rifle shooting, which were held at the "Bisley" ranges.Very akward when I was shooting left handed - my predominant eye is left eye- when using a right handed 303 rifle!!"

Ah yes, shooting a 303 left handed, a sure fire method of getting a black eye and a shattered left cheekbone :-( . Not to be reccomended!

D.

davenewell@home - 2008-05-02 6:51 PM "In the cadet force at school, represented the school in rifle shooting, which were held at the "Bisley" ranges.Very akward when I was shooting left handed - my predominant eye is left eye- when using a right handed 303 rifle!!" Ah yes, shooting a 303 left handed, a sure fire method of getting a black eye and a shattered left cheekbone :-( . Not to be reccomended! D.

Dave

Enfield 303 rifle was a single shot rifle, with 5 rounds in magazine. Difficulty for me - in 1 of the stages was to shoot from a "prone position"- was that once shot had been taken, was to drop the butt down then unload the spent shell with my left hand, then bring butt up to the shoulder to fire 2nd round.http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Ok for the right handed person as they could keep keep the butt into the shoulder and just unload with their right hand, still maintaing their sight of the target.http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

All this left hand / right hand stuff just confuses me more. When working on anything, if hammer is on my left side I just pick it up and use my left hand to hammer with. If a screwdriver is on my right side, then I use my right hand to use the screwdriver!!!!

Thai

michele - 2008-04-30 10:20 PM funny that but I am crap at Math but the numbers are the correct way around . I dont retain them very good thats another problem . i think its something to do wtih the fact taht the letters are all together but the maths is not so long if taht makes sense. 8-) N Knowing me it doesnt :D

Hi Michele

Long time no speak.

Up till the age of 4 I could not read, write or speak any English. My first language was Thai, so I could never have a conversation with my father until then.http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_sad.gifhttp://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_sad.gif

When learning English, I remember that I had great difficulty in telling the difference between the letters "B" & "D", but only in lower cases, but never had any trouble with the capital letters.

As I'm predominatly left handed, and this was knocked out of me at school in Thailand- they forced me to write with my right hand - my hand writing is a terrible scrawl, but it is very nice when I'm writting in capital letters.

Thai

Hi Brian,

Hope you & your wife are well .

terrible thats school could and still try to knock it out of kids .

they always think they know best i too also had a problem with bd I think that as you watch children who are just learning at a young age most children do this .

i dont know that its a problem I think its natural for young learners to do it as long as it gets sorted in the end for some people it never does .

Thai Bry - 2008-05-03 7:22 AM
davenewell@home - 2008-05-02 6:51 PM "In the cadet force at school, represented the school in rifle shooting, which were held at the "Bisley" ranges.Very akward when I was shooting left handed - my predominant eye is left eye- when using a right handed 303 rifle!!" Ah yes, shooting a 303 left handed, a sure fire method of getting a black eye and a shattered left cheekbone :-( . Not to be reccomended! D.

Dave

Enfield 303 rifle was a single shot rifle, with 5 rounds in magazine. Difficulty for me - in 1 of the stages was to shoot from a "prone position"- was that once shot had been taken, was to drop the butt down then unload the spent shell with my left hand, then bring butt up to the shoulder to fire 2nd round.http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Ok for the right handed person as they could keep keep the butt into the shoulder and just unload with their right hand, still maintaing their sight of the target.http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/images/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

All this left hand / right hand stuff just confuses me more. When working on anything, if hammer is on my left side I just pick it up and use my left hand to hammer with. If a screwdriver is on my right side, then I use my right hand to use the screwdriver!!!!

Thai

Hi Bry, yes I fired the Lee Enfield 303 in the ATC as a teenager but our instructor would not, under any circumstances allow it to be fired left handed. No wonder I couldn't hit a barn door with the damned thing really :D D.

davenewell@home - 2008-05-03 7:30 PM

Hi Bry, yes I fired the Lee Enfield 303 in the ATC as a teenager but our instructor would not, under any circumstances allow it to be fired left handed. No wonder I couldn't hit a barn door with the damned thing really :D

D.

Have you seen what the ATC use now?

http://www.mxsatt.co.uk/Approved%20Weapons.htm

I was a Range Officer with the cadets until a couple of years ago.

I also used to shoot clays but, having a very strong right master eye, I found it difficult to keep both eyes open, essential to judge speed & distance.

Also tried .22, 38 special & .44 magnum handguns. Good fun :D

Hi Bry, yes I fired the Lee Enfield 303 in the ATC as a teenager but our instructor would not, under any circumstances allow it to be fired left handed. No wonder I couldn't hit a barn door with the damned thing really :D D.

Dave

Again it's bias against us cack handers!!!

Thai

Thai Bry - 2008-05-03 8:29 PM

Dave

Again it's bias against us cack handers!!!

Thai

When using a bipod some left handers prefer a right handed bolt action gun as you can work bolt and keep on target.With 303 I was always allowed to shoot left handed, and indeed shot at bisley, with a FM also shot left handed but never very well, with a SA80 don't ever try shooting it left handed else you'll lose your teeth :-( although I believe there is now a left handed version, as I too can't hit a barn door shooting right handed

J9withdogs - 2008-05-03 8:22 PM

davenewell@home - 2008-05-03 7:30 PM

Hi Bry, yes I fired the Lee Enfield 303 in the ATC as a teenager but our instructor would not, under any circumstances allow it to be fired left handed. No wonder I couldn't hit a barn door with the damned thing really :D

D.

Have you seen what the ATC use now?

http://www.mxsatt.co.uk/Approved%20Weapons.htm

I was a Range Officer with the cadets until a couple of years ago.

I also used to shoot clays but, having a very strong right master eye, I found it difficult to keep both eyes open, essential to judge speed & distance.

Also tried .22, 38 special & .44 magnum handguns. Good fun :D

WOW!! All we had were 303s, Stens and GPMGs (commonly known as Jimpy). I note that cadets are not allowed to fire the GPMG anymore.

D.

Archived