Caravanstore awning

Moncayoman

Hello again

More wisdom required from my forum mates required please.

Seen these caravanstore awnings on plenty of caravans - they seem an affordable and simple way to get a screen on the side of the van.

Has anyone used a fiamma caravan store awning on their motorhome?

How did you fix the awning channel to the van - by screws and silkaflex I presume ?

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions regarding this ?

Thank you in anticipation of your wisdom in this matter.

Guest JudgeMental

They are designed to slide into an awning rail - thats why they are designed for and (as the name suggests) caravans. Personally if you have not got a rail why would you want to drill and fix one to a motorhome, you then have to have some way of reaching it and unzipping it.... and they hang loose in bag while you are driving.

surely a proper awning is not that much more?

As the Judge has already said,they (Caravanstore Awnings) are for Caravans with Awning rails. It wouldn't cost much more to get a 'proper casette type' motorhome one from Fiamma or Omnistore. They add a bit of value to your Motorhome when you sell as well (not as much as they cost of course). We wouldn't be without ours, and it would be the first accessory that I would fit to a new van. :D

Thanks for everyone's comments.

My hesitation about fitting the 'proper' wind out awning is only because it entails drilling into the shower room which is plastic.

My thought is simply a dodge for something easier !

Guest JudgeMental
Moncayoman - 2008-05-17 9:17 PM

Thanks for everyone's comments.

My hesitation about fitting the 'proper' wind out awning is only because it entails drilling into the shower room which is plastic.

My thought is simply a dodge for something easier !

Then what you end up with instead of a dodge is a bodge.

even if you fit an awning rail it still has to fix to something substantial?

or else the first snag of a branch or high wind and it will rip out of the wall of your camper. awnings fix through wall with plates and bolts with white plastic caps to cover the inside - matters little that this is in a shower *-)

Moncayoman,

If you eventualy fit a Fiamma type awning, don't forget it can be heavy, by not fixing right through the bodywork with the correct bolts it's only hanging on the side.

Normal bouncing along on a normal road could cause it to be wrenched off, taking some of your panelling with it.

LB

Archived