Remis front blinds, Fiat Ducato steering.

Brian Kirby

Guest trixie
Hello Brian Thanks for the reply (your QUOTE:- You had wanted cab blinds to match blinds fitted elsewhere in your new motorhome, and the dealer fitted the Remifront blinds. Is that correct? QUOTE) Yes that is what we wanted & this was in June 2005 nine months after purchase. The original van was supplied with interior silver screens with suction pads which were a sod to put on & also kept falling off at night. They also did not fit very well. They were also bulky to carry. Only place was on the floor or in the loo & always in the way. We only have a panel van conversion so not much storage space. The dealer knew we wanted the blinds to use instead of the silver screens at night. We were not told we should use exterior silver screens with them. We were not told that they were for privacy only. & we were not supplied with any information on how to look after them. Also in June we had to have the original heki blind replaced under warranty as it broke. It has been replaced with one exactly the same construction as the cab ones. It is not the same as the two original side window blinds are coated on both sides unlike the cab blinds which are only coated on one side. I am of the opinion that these cab blinds should have been coated on the habitation side as well. I can sponge my two side habitation area windows if need be. They do not have any of this motley mould & neither does the heki. If these cab blinds had been coated the same then the problem whatever it is would not have occurred. The outside temperature can drop during the day as well as at night & you cannot drive around with external silver screens on can you. Since the cab blinds were fitted we have only used the van for our summer holidays in France in August & September with odd weekend rallies in this country yet the problem has only just occured. There is no damp smell in the van. If this problem is indeed mildew then it is a health hazard & can cause respiratory problems. We have had motorhomes for 20 odd years & never had a damp problem. We have always used a dehumidifier in the winter months so excess moisture should not have been a problem. I know of two people who use these blinds in motorhomes they have had no problems. On another note it has been suggested to me that these blinds may be faulty & or the problem could be caused by a chemical reaction of somekind. What action if any have you taken so far. Have you been in touch with trading standards. I will be contacting the dealer to see what he has to say about it although I don’t hold out much hope that he will do anything about. Trixie

Guest Brian Kirby
Trixie Thanks for above. If you can stand it, please go to alternative posting under "Remis (Remifront) blinds". You'll find my e-mail there. Please feel free to use that and I'll reply to your questions by e-mail. I think the present string is getting a bit lengthy. I'll thencopy you in on some other bits as well. Regards Brian

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Hatfield
I keep trying to send a reply to this thread (with a link to a statement from Remis), but it keeps failing - hence this attempt at a test. Apologies Bob Hatfield

Guest Brian Kirby
If anyone else has been having trouble with mould or mildew on the above blinds, the following message may offer salvation. (I am grateful to Bob Hatfield for this information, which he has not yet been able to post due to technical difficulties.) The message can be found at: www motorcaravanning co uk / forum "Following some prompts from members here I have been talking to the suppliers about reports of mould forming on RemiFront blinds. (Which we sell in the on-line shop but didn't supply in all these cases). I received an email today from Remis UK saying ... "We have encountered some problems where our material supplier neglected to coat the material both sides. It is not actually mildew but the inner core of the fabric leaching out once in a humid atmosphere. It's a cosmetic problem only and was confined to a single batch of fabric. Please treat complaints as warrantee issues." So there you have it, it is/was a temporary problem and you have recourse by making a warranty claim via your supplier." The message is signed by Neill, of Motorcaravanning.co.uk and is posted on their forum. I am grateful to Neill of Motorcaravanning.co.uk. for this forthright notification. Regards to all Brian

• 3 weeks later...
hello again Have any of you managed to get these faulty blinds replaced yet & how was this accomplished. We are hoping to have the job done by a dealer more local to the one who fitted them. Has anyone here done this? Do we need to go through the Remis contact direct or is it the selected dealer that can do this on our behalf or are we restricted to the original supplier & fitter. Thanks in advance trixie

Archived