Is it just us?

Norma

A few weeks ago a lot of people were getting excited about their imminent trip away in their van.

Is it just us or are there others out there that just cannot afford the fuel to have that trip? We need a tank and half just to get to the boat...

We haven't made our usual trip across the water. I can't even see how we can afford to take the van around this country. :'( :'(

There is supposed to be a lorry 'march' on Downing Street, next week but apathy will no doubt rule. Funny how we had all those problems with no fuel the last time it went up and yet we seem to be tolerating this rise

NO! it is not just you, we need two tanks just to get to the water (and two tanks back). However I have decided the holiday is too important so will just have to make cut backs elsewhere.

What is really annoying is the windfall the taxman gets when fuel prices go up, they must be raking in loads of extra and time the gave some of it back now by cutting fuel tax a bit. With the way oil prices are going diesel is going to get a lot higher yet.

HI FOLKS yeah were the same 3 tanks to dover and back thats about £270 its alot oh money but just have to abuse flexible freind :-D ,but no alternitive as rosyth crossing was about £865 ,ps.anybody no anyone selling red diesel ! (lol) lol. CHEERS KEITH.ps hope you can still enjoy your van this year.

No it won't have any real effect on us, we are still running on half a tank left from our last trip over, that will get us to Calais where we will fill up again. It just means that the £55 return crossing will be reclaimed even quicker!!

Bas

Brambles - 2008-05-21 7:28 PM

Bas,

Have no fear it wil affect prices inrest of Europe as well, Diesel prices are rising not only in the UK.

Jon.

main difference is the tax >:-( which can be adjusted to ease a little of our pain.

oil for our heating bill [we're in the sticks and haven't much option] has increased by about 250% in 4 years.

B-)

No it is not just you but most people we talk to.

Am I right in thinking that it is the same oil used to make the fuel we bought in Gibraltar a few weeks ago. Then it was 54.9 pence per litre. When we got back in the uk it was over double the price. I presume Morrisons still made a profit and the same cost for refining. Why do the powers that be not just own up and say yes it is our fault and we need the extra tax to pay for all the mistakes we have made in the past.

Sooty10

Brambles - 2008-05-21 7:28 PM

Bas,

Have no fear it wil affect prices inrest of Europe as well, Diesel prices are rising not only in the UK.

Jon.

Yes, but the question was would it stop you from going over due to the cost of fuel to get there. I would maintain that the saving in fuel costs will still outweigh the cost of getting there for us and therefore for us, to answer the question asked, no it will not have any effect we will still go and save money compared to carrying out the same milage over here.

As a point of interest Gasoil seems to range from €1.24 to €1.32 or around £1 a litre see

http://www.zagaz.com/index.php

updated 20/05 at 2315hrs.

so there is a considerable saving over UK prices currently even with the less than perfect exchange rate, I pre ordered mine back in December at €1.26 to the £!

Bas

Diesel at Carrefoure in Berck France on 7th May was 1.29e on 19th May it was 1.38e most Total Filling Stations were 1.50e for grade 1 and 1.45e for 2nd grade the highest was in Honfluer @1.53e hence the blockade of the french channell ports our local Morrisons was £1.229 ltr today domestic heating oil is currently around 58p ltr I hate to thinh what it will be during the winter months

Well there is a little saving to be had by driving slowly if you dont already. Im off for the week an determined not to do over 50mph to save fuel.

I try and look at it this way to cheer me up.

When I got my van Diesel =0.89 per litre £4.05 per gallon.

At 25 mpg that works out that every 1000 miles I travelled cost £162

Currently we have to pay £1.25 per litre which is £5.70 per gallon.

At 25 mpg that makes a 1000 mile journey £ 225.

This = an increase of £63 per 1000 miles travelled, so bear in mind that on average you would do probably 2-3k per big touring holliday its costing an extra £120-180 per holiday (of course cheaper when you cross the channel)

I can stretch my van to 28mpg for doing 50-55 on a run this = 35.7 gallons per 1000 miles a saving of £20 pound or so.

Now im only trying to cheer myself up and justify keeping my pride and joy you undersstand. The fact remains fuel is way to dear and in danger of bringing the country in to a massive reccession. And to think I remember my dad moaning when it went to £1 per gallon. (lol)

Am I right in thinking that for every 1p that the fuel companies put the price up means 4p at the pumps because of all the tax that is charged on it. That means that Gordon and his cronies have even more of our money to waste.

Minstrel - 2008-05-21 11:27 PM

Am I right in thinking that for every 1p that the fuel companies put the price up means 4p at the pumps because of all the tax that is charged on it. That means that Gordon and his cronies have even more of our money to waste.

Not quite correct Minstrel but the principal behind your comment is correct. According to the following website it is actually for each 1p petrol goes up the tax goes up 1.5p so a 1p petrol rise is 2.5p at the pump.

See

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Motoring/Question561320.html

though not directly related to Diesel and now somewhat out of date the following report for the IoFS makes interesting reading

see

http://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn8.pdf

Bas

Afraid you are not quite correct either.

If the oil companies put the price up a penny then the pump price goes up by 1.175 pence. Basically because the fuel tax is a fixed amount on a litre. Vat is payable on the fuel part and the fuel tax.

However the tax the government gets overall is a lot more bacause as oil goes up in price the North sea oil companies are making more profit and because of North Sea oil tax the government gets a lot more. Obviously very difficult to work out exact figures.

Edit - removed a paragraph as not very accurate and has errors.

Jon.

We can produce figures from petrol stations and stats from MPG until we're blue in the face, but for me the stark reality hits home when I get back in the van as I did the other day from a fill up.

I put £41 of diesel in and the needle went to barely past half way. Yes I can afford it, no I shouldn't have £30k of van if I wanted to moan about the running costs. And I'm not, but for me it's still a b****y eye opener when that needle hardly budges.

OK I'm moaning :D

Martyn

hi i was in paris last week diesel ranged from 1.37 - 1.45, last yeat it was around 1.08. this is a double whammy as last year we got around 1.38 euro to pound now its around 1.19 so in reality fuel increase is a lot more :'( *-)

hi i was in paris last week diesel ranged from 1.37 - 1.45, last yeat it was around 1.08. this is a double whammy as last year we got around 1.38 euro to pound now its around 1.19 so in reality fuel increase is a lot more :'( *-)

We have just returned from putting some 2,500 mile on the clock travelling to Austria, Czech Republic , Germany & France. With the low £ to Euro rate & the general extra cost of fuel europe wide I must say I did not notice that much differance from the U.K. prices, however, much more costly than last year!!

What I am going to do is write to Darling Alistair suggesting he gives us back some of our money through a reduction in fuel duty (fat chance). If we all wrote it would surely make him think (if he can) if nothing else!!

Mike Parke - 2008-05-22 12:21 PM

We have just returned from putting some 2,500 mile on the clock travelling to Austria, Czech Republic , Germany & France. With the low £ to Euro rate & the general extra cost of fuel europe wide I must say I did not notice that much differance from the U.K. prices, however, much more costly than last year!!

What I am going to do is write to Darling Alistair suggesting he gives us back some of our money through a reduction in fuel duty (fat chance). If we all wrote it would surely make him think (if he can) if nothing else!!

Welcome home Mike.

In the unlikely event that Alistair Darling answers your letter I imagine he will ask for an alternative source of taxes. After all, if one goes down another will go up.

The trouble with fuel tax is that it increases haulage charges and puts up the price of everything else.

I'm not so sure it would be any different under any other government, I haven't heard any other politicians saying they would reduce fuel tax.

Do MPs claim all their own fuel back on expenses ?

:-(

Guest JudgeMental

Yes it makes a difference but not enough to stop me traveling.

but I am still working, a different matter if retired on a lower fixed income.

We normally eat out most of the time, this will have to change. and I will seek out supermarket fuel (thanks to W2G's excellent supermarket POI :-D ) when normally I fill up wherever.

You only live once and we get away little enough.

I was kind of relieved financially when I had to cancel a trip to Antibes last month as costs kept escalating. It was working out very expensive for just over a week.........probably cheaper to fly budget and stay in a nice hotel*-)

IMO should of entered the Euro when it was 150-160 we would be in a stronger position and our savings worth a hell of a lot more.... *-)

An economy based on house price inflation is doomed to crash 8-)

Archived