Crewe and Nantwich By Election.

Hymer C 9.

Guest Tracker
maggyd - 2008-05-25 8:04 PM

And if there are 5 wages coming in there is 5 people paying income tax and did you have to pay Rates when you were a teenager?? No I thought not :-S and the wages that young people were getting it was a struggle by the time they had paid travelling expenses and everything else that they needed ! what happened is that their parents ended up paying in some cases 4 times what they were paying before just because the rich begrudged paying their wack.

Income tax is not really relevant to the council tax/poll tax issue as it goes to central government and not local government and is also directly related to the ability to pay.

That said even income tax has always penalised the less well off at a higher level than the better off.

Of course I did not pay rates when I was a teenager but when I lived at home and was earning it was not have been unreasonable for me to have contributed to local services and even be poll taxable - it's just that no politician dared to try it!

Not that I would have encouraged extra taxation at the time as turkeys don't vote for Christmas do they!

But that too is not really relevant to the argument about whether poll tax is more fair or less fair to more people or less people because all things are relative and tax in those days was also relative to the income at that time.

Whether today's youth is better or worse off than in the fifties and sixties is another issue and judging by their cars, toys, clothes, living patterns and habits a very great many are significantly better off than we were in real terms and could well afford to pay a small poll tax.

As far as the rich paying their whack is concerned - isn't that what income tax, national insurance, vat, inheritance tax, capital gains tax, tax on share dividends and tax on savings interest all achieve?

I'm not what one would call very wealthy and I don't mind paying my share - but I do get mighty brassed off with paying other people's share as well as my own - specially when so many are takers without giving anything in return.

Funny how everyone knows their rights but so few seem to know their responsibilities?

Equally funny how everyone (me included) has a very good reason why they should not pay any more tax!

I think I'll just nip out and get a tank full of diesel - but that's another story!

How do we ever get rid of them if they cant save up to buy a place of their own????

And Im glad we arent just starting out the house prices are frightening! we havent had a morgage for 20 years now I would hate to have to pay that along with the rates and everything else! ours now we could have bought a house with a few years ago.

Maggie, I see what you say but I speak the truth. You do not (fortunately!)

know my mother. However, I did not say I did not respect her, I said she did not like me!! (Further, she does not like my wife. her grand children nor her great grand children. But she cannot be all bad as she loves cats & dogs!!) (lol) (lol)

Archived