£33 Motorhome, Truck specific Sat Nav

aandncaravan

The Sat Nav receiver in my MotoG phone packed up a while ago so I have been using paper maps to navigate!!

Over the recent Half term holidays we borrowed a Truck/Motorhome specific Sat Nav for touring around Anglesey as we wanted to explore routes to the Beaches via some on very narrow lanes, but not so narrow we got stuck.

I 'told' the Sat Nav our outfit was bigger, heavier and longer outfit than we actually were to give some leeway and at no time did we get taken down any routes of 'no return'.

It worked really well, telling us when roads ahead were narrowing, weight limits about to be exceeded, tight turns, low bridges, steep hills, etc.

Today I used it to go up to the Caravan site I work from and it is the first Sat Nav ever to avoid the almost impossible route with the 1 in 3 tight hairpin bend. It took me the sensible route.

Very impressive for £33, and the free Windscreen mount didn't fall off once.

It isn't perfect as the navigation menus are quite clunky, but not bad for a 5" screen. 7" screen is a more expensive option.

As well as being able to set it up as a 32 ton/50ft truck or 'High Roof' and 'Long' Motorhome, it has Lifetime map updates (but maybe take that with a pinch of Salt), Speed Camera locations, Lane Assist, etc.

It doesn't feel cheap and nasty, but obviously built to a price so I am not expecting it to last very long.

But then at £33, it is almost disposable.

One unusual thing it has which might be useful in the future is Waypoints, obviously designed for delivery drivers making deliveries, but I am hoping I might be able to use them to guide the unit to follow a preferred 'rough route' when travelling long distances? For example to avoid Toll road routes.

Don't know if that will work out, but will have a play when the one I have just bought comes through.

See the 5" version here :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XGODY-5-Inch-Car-Truck-GPS-Navigation-Lorry-Coach-HGV-Navigator-SAT-NAV-8GB-ROM/272521645477?epid=2161106844&hash=item3f738e4da5:g:zVQAAOSwlWFZpjD9

Note that we set our outfit up as a Truck and as a result the speed limits didn't 'match', but it was only a minor inconvenience as most of the time we were going at Truck speeds.

Didn't play with the other vehicle options, like Coach, Ambulance, etc, so don't know how their speed limits equate on the road.

hi aandncaravan,

Do you happen know if it is possible,and not too difficult, to download extra P.O.I's to this model. I am thinking of the likes of ACAI campsites and such.Our Snooper has been great but afraid the maps need update and the cost is circa £120,maybe more if we need a larger card for it. I will be using this with our caravan having changed fro motorhome.

Thanks for any info.

ps would be looking at the 7" model.

cheers

derek

Could I ask that you do a test for me to see the route that it takes to a particular campsite?

If you will can you start in Valencia, Spain and end at Camping Igueldo in San Sebastian, Spain. The ending position is shown on Google Maps here https://goo.gl/maps/92HUbA7e8452.

I am particularly interested in the final part of this route to see exactly which way it routes. If you can post a photo of the screen great if not please take a look at http://mh.orba-design.com/sat-nav-review/ and let me know the closest route to that displayed into the campsite.

Thanks.

I looked at POI's to down load CCC sites, but didn't go far with it as the unit was only on loan, now returned.

I have ordered one to arrive Tuesday so will have a look in more detail along with the test route request from Valkrider.

Valkrider, how do you want to set up the outfit : what width, weight, height etc.

I'm being careful not to implicate the Xgody device here (though I suspect, having exchanged emails elsewhere, that some/much of what I post will be relevant).

Many (all?) of the similar cheap Satnavs on eBay are cheap because the software they run is pirated (and "cracked" to run on a device other than it was originally designed for), and thus unpaid-for.

One of the common pieces of navigation software used is NNG's IGO or IGO Primo (cracked versions are readily available on the web for download).

This "cracked" software will not work with the original software supplier's maps, as these are themselves protected and tied to licensed software.

The unit is supplied "as new" with "cracked" maps. Often, lifetime free map updates are promised. All kinds of odd web links are provided to support these "free" updates, and they are entirely dependent on the person you bought from being able to source "cracked" versions of updated maps, and make them available. Experience of this process has been mixed (read poor!)

You may get guided by the software to NNG's official site (Naviextras.com), these devices will not be recognised by that site, and map updates are not, in any case, free.

You may feel that (to use a current phrase) £33 is 'a price worth paying', or you may feel uncomfortable running pirated software, with extremely unofficial support paths - your call!

Incidentally, if it is IGO or Primo that is loaded,then I consider it the best navigation software I've used for motorhoming. It does everything with POIs and routeing that you could possibly want (someone will now no doubt prove me wrong!) and I really like the interface.

My version is, however, pukka, my Naviceiver (and the one in the previous 'van) being supplied with a legit copy.

Hi Alan

I bought a prodrive from eBay 5 months ago to replace another prodrive bought 6 years previously,

Cost £74

Yes it runs Igo software absolutely brilliant bit of kit with all the bells and whistles petrol stations supermarkets vehicle size. Tip set as bus to get accurate speed limits .

Includes 33000 Archie’s campsites for UK and Europe all the specifications of a top name satnav at a great price

I did purchase a aguri Sat Nav but returned it as I did not consider it better than the prodrive I had so purchased previously

7” satnav 47 European countries £74 has to be a no brainier

Brian

If it is the iGo software then I suspect I will be underwhelmed as this is what is supplied with the Parrot Asteroid Smart built in to my MH. To say I have found the software quirky is putting it mildly and the routes have not been the best but it is better than the Garmin.

Well someone beat me to it, still waiting on mine. Email received today :

"Hi Alan, Hope you’re OK and having fun with the Navigation system.

We went to Manchester at the weekend to stay with my brother. On the way I had the new SatNav set up for towing a trailer.

When we got to Chester Services, where we stopped for a cuppa, the Sat Nav said that we were entering a restricted area and should follow signs for lorry’s.

In Sale, where Peter lives, there have been some traffic priory changes in the last six months but the SatNav just told us where we should go.

When we got to Peters’, who lives in a cul-de-sac the navigation system suggested 350 yds before the turning that we would not be able to turn at the location.

I am well impressed at this software".

I will update on POI's and the route requested when my new one arrives but it seems to work for most basic situations over a normal Car Sat Nav?

I have only just got my Sat Nav working. It arrived several days ago but the power cord from the cigarette lighter was too short and my phone Sat Nav uses a micro USB not the mini version most Sat Navs use.

New 1metre mini USB lead arrived today so had a good play.

Screen 'Touch' isn't sensitive, but works most times from a 'Finger Nail' rather than 'skin'.

Menus for setting up could be more intuitive, but work.

I have set it up to view my outfit as a 8m long 3m high, 2 m wide outfit at 3,500kg with a 63mph speed limit. See what it makes of me going faster?

It told me I am entering a 'restricted' zone when I go into ASDA CarPark, even though there are no height barriers, so definitely detects and treats my outfit differently to a 'normal car'

A one way street that came in about 6 months ago is known by the maps, so pretty up to date.

The Two little ones love the games and seeing a Photo of them selves on the Dashboard when not using the Sat Nav. 7 year old wants me to find a photo of Flying Scotsman, 6 year old wants Rabbit pictures!!

Want to investigate if I can load a video onto an micro SD card or a childrens audio story book, as sound plays through the Radio, not by Bluetooth but FM radio signal.

Battery life is a poor 20 mins when not on 'EHU' and setup is more complicated that Instruc book, but this was covered in the email you get sent a day before the Satnavs arrival.

Still more testing to do, but looking like it does what it says.

Tried the route given for Spain but can't work out how to start it at Valencia, always starts at my house in Wales and the route is MASSIVE!!.

So giving up on that one, but then you seemed to know the result anyway.

Overall impressed so far. If it cost £100 I would think it good value

At £33, very impressed so far

aandncaravan - 2017-11-13 10:09 PM

...Tried the route given for Spain but can't work out how to start it at Valencia, always starts at my house in Wales and the route is MASSIVE!!...

My Garmin Nuvi 2559 has a “Trip Planner” function that permits predefinition and storage of routes that start from a geographic position that differs from the sat-nav’s present location or the ‘home’ address. This should allow Valkrider’s Valencia-to-San Sebastian test to be performed.

However, vehicle weight/dimensions cannot be input into a Nuvi 2559.

teflon2 - 2017-11-14 6:48 PM

I have the7" XGODY version and I like that instead of prompting U turn as soon as possible it reroutes immediately even when the new route is much longer. It's very quick at noting route deviation a deliberate test was noted at less than 5meters.

I too. have this version. It lays, redundant, in a drawer, because I found that, whilst it doesn't take us down narrow roads, like my Garmin, and previous TomTom did, it does exactly the opposite, and takes us all around the houses, instead.

As an example, to reach the New Dover Road, park and ride at Canterbury, it took us through the centre of Canterbury, instead of using perfectly good, wide roads, that exist, in this area.

The problems with these sat nav's, have been widely discussed, before.

The main ones are, Screen not bright enough, difficult to see, in sunlight conditions, and very poor sound.

Installing POI's, however, is very easy

Re life time map updates;

I note from the ebay sales details that the seller states that

If you want to update new map dates in the future, just contact us, we will send you the new map dates and tell you how to update the new map

Anyone know what this means in practice? I'd have liked to think that on purchase a link is provided to a website to download map updates, however the statement implies something more complex.

Auditor - 2017-11-15 1:49 PM

teflon2 - 2017-11-14 6:48 PM

I have the7" XGODY version and I like that instead of prompting U turn as soon as possible it reroutes immediately even when the new route is much longer. It's very quick at noting route deviation a deliberate test was noted at less than 5meters.

I too. have this version. It lays, redundant, in a drawer, because I found that, whilst it doesn't take us down narrow roads, like my Garmin, and previous TomTom did, it does exactly the opposite, and takes us all around the houses, instead.

As an example, to reach the New Dover Road, park and ride at Canterbury, it took us through the centre of Canterbury, instead of using perfectly good, wide roads, that exist, in this area.

The problems with these sat nav's, have been widely discussed, before.

The main ones are, Screen not bright enough, difficult to see, in sunlight conditions, and very poor sound.

Installing POI's, however, is very easy

Strange I've mine set to easy routes and it always selects the widest roads, the screen is very bright and it came with a sun shade sound is good even though I need hearing aids and I have it turned down to half volume, maybe I will get a nasty surprise in time but till then fingers crossed.

My Navman one time took me trough a French market, the stall holders were a bit put out but saw the funny side. The easier route was 50 meters further on to a set of traffic lights. Have you ever tried maneuvering through a narrow French side road with cars parked either side in a 7.5 meter motor home I went prematurely grey.

BruceM - 2017-11-15 3:57 PM

If you want to update new map dates in the future, just contact us, we will send you the new map dates and tell you how to update the new map

Anyone know what this means in practice? I'd have liked to think that on purchase a link is provided to a website to download map updates, however the statement implies something more complex.

There is some on-line discussion about updating XGODY sat-navs

http://tinyurl.com/y7surudw

The MHFun entry does not inspire confidence...

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/xgody-718-chinese-satnav-warning.122340/

BruceM - 2017-11-15 3:57 PM

...see my post above.....

Thanks for the links.

Unless I’m missing something . . .

having read through the posts in the link (admittedly from 2016) it sounds to me that it’s as simple as downloading the map files from a website and then transferring them to the appropriate directory on the sat nav. That’s much the same as transferring files between my pc and mobile and pretty much what I’d expected. The only alternative I could imagine would be to have a WiFi enabled satnav that could do it directly (do any of them do this?) or a utility to run on the PC that masks what’s going on behind the scenes (I believe Tom Tom and Snooper do this?).

I currently have a second user Snooper but as the ‘lifetime maps’ guarantee only applies to the original owner they want £99 to gain access to updated maps. If the Xgody satnav is up to snuff then at £33 I think it’s a no-brainer to replace the Snooper with an Xgody.

• 2 months later...

Used it a lot over Christmas holidays, did over 900 miles in 5 days in our Car, but with the Sat Nav setup to believe we were a 8 metre long, 7.5 ton truck.

Some of the settings seem to be in obscure places, like setting the screen brightness. So I was driving around for a day with a difficult to read screen, solely because it was dropping back to the 'Dim' night time mode. Once set correctly the screen became perfectly readable, even in bright Sun.

I also lost 'sound', but quickly discovered I had set it up to play the sound through the Stereo and didn't have the Stereo on the correct channel. If you play the sound through the stereo, which improves things for those in the car rear, it mutes the Sat nav speaker.

Very impressed.

Speed warnings approaching cameras were very good, and it only 'squawked' if I was exceeding the speed limit. If I was under the speed limit it didn't give a warning.

Directions and junction guidance were all very good, even near York on what looked like a new road layout.

Very rarely lost Sat Nav signal.

After leaving the National Railway Museum, after a visit so my 7 year old could see Flying Scotsman, we encountered road closures and had to rely on the unit to get us out of York., which it did perfectly, despite my suspicions we were lost.

Whenever I took a route that I preferred to the Sat Nav option it just recalculated and offered an alternative, not the annoying 'Turn around when possible and listen to what I am telling you' approach of my last Sat Nav..

it wasn't faultless as it took us down a Motorway route which was a lot longer than an 'A' road and 'B' option, even though I think the A and B roads would have been ok for a big Truck.

Not sure if this was a mistake on the Sat Nav's part or just part of it's policy to keep to more main roads for large vehicles. I would like to do the same route with the sat Nav setup for a Car.

Battery life is short, needs to be 'Car' powered the whole time.

For so little money, if it only lasts a year I will be happy.

Going to Italy, Croatia & Slovenia in May/June driving in a rental car.    My Tom Tom Go has an asking price of A$99 to update my existing European maps. I can buy a 7inch XGODY for A$74 on local eBay. It is the truck version with maps of Europe, Aust & NZ & a copy of the song used by our entrant in the Eurovision contest. (Just kidding!).
 Allan can you please advise if the XGODY has current upto date maps and does it show speed limits like my Tom Tom? Cheers,

Archived