£69 Sat Nav at Halfords

Cattwg

Rather than hijack Tomo’s SatNav thread I thought I’d start a new one.

Halfords are advertising the following for £69, reduced from £89:

"TomTom Start 20 WE M 4.3" Sat Nav with Lifetime Map Updates."

It includes Europe.

As this would be our first SatNav I’d welcome any comments that people may have, especially from those with experience of this actual device..

It seems a very good price but is it too cheap? Their next TomTom model is £139.

Thanks. Cattwg :-D

This is a superseded product, whilst this should not affect it's usefulness in the short term my concern would be for how long TT will be supporting the 'lifetime' maps, I notice the present model Start42 looks to have a similar screen to my 5100 so that might not be for too long.

n.b. 'life time maps' is not until the divise packs up, it's until TT decide they no longer support that system.

The usual downside regarding the models at the lower end of the Tom Tom market is their low built-in storage capability & inability to accept additional storage via SD or similar cards. I once found to my cost that using a map update, failed as there was insufficient storage to take upgrade.

The usual downside regarding the models at the lower end of the Tom Tom market is their low built-in storage capability & inability to accept additional storage via SD or similar cards. I once found to my cost that using a map update, failed as there was insufficient storage to take upgrade.

flicka - 2016-07-24 11:44 AM

A very valid point, IMO. In short, do not buy a sat nav with lifetime map updates unless it has an SD card slot. Each map update tends to be larger than the preceding one, so you soon reach to point at which either you can't update maps, or have to buy a new sat nav. I'd suggest the practical minimum is presently 4Gb, with 8Gb being preferable, so get whichever model gives you the biggest usable (see below) card at a sensible (to you! :-)) price. It'll give you a bit of future proofing.

The devices are generally very reliable, and should last in the region of 5 years or so (though at that age they will be lagging technological developments), and the map updates are generally 4 x yearly, so potentially 20 updates in 5 years. The chances of getting through that many updates on the installed memory alone are, IMO, slim.

My understanding of Garmin's "lifetime" definition is that it lasts until either the unit conks out, or until it can no longer cope with the firmware or map updates. To that end, if you are looking for full European mapping on either, check the maximum capacity SD card on which they can actually install and use the mapping. This is not necessarily the same as the maximum with which they can function. For example it seems some models will take an 8Gb card, but the mapping data can only use 4Gb of its capacity.

This principle seems also to apply to some other models that can take max 16Gb, or even 32Gb, cards. There is a warning to this effect on the Garmin website that I have not explored in detail, but I'd suggest doing so before buying.

Look carefully at the added gizmos that come with the units. For example voice control, an interface to the radio so that the spoken directions come via the radio speakers, bluetooth communication, mobile phone interfaces, etc etc, and decide whether you really want them, because they all add cost without improving navigation. Lane guidance is beneficial at complex junctions, in my experience, and generally works well. Traffic is, IMO, generally useless, because it inevitably lags events to the extent that the hold-up you are in wasn't signalled, and the one that was signalled has dispersed by the time you get there. However, warnings or road closures are generally more useful, while those of roadworks generally less so.

Speed limit indications should be treated with great caution, because actual limits on the ground are continually being changed (especially with new 40mph/70kph limits preceding 30mph/50kph limits, and 20mph/30kph limits being introduced in many town/village centres), and the mapping again lags the reality. Citing the sat-nav limits just won't cut it as a defence for speeding! :-D

We have a Tom Tom Start for the wife's small car. Works well and she likes it because it is simple to use. Screen is too small for my A-class. I have a Garmin satnav for the van though I prefer a road atlas for use in Britain. The Garmin either sits unused in a cupboard or on the dashboard where I can shout at it.

If you intend to be a heavy user, I'd go upmarket.

Brian Kirby - 2016-07-24 1:02 PM

My understanding of Garmin's "lifetime" definition is that it lasts until either the unit conks out, or until it can no longer cope with the firmware or map updates.

Maybe their policy has changed, I know someone who brought a Garmin with 'lifetime maps' which only lasted 18 months. Similar to the OP's it was a new but dated model.

I don't see the point in buying small screen sat navs any more when the average smart phone has a bigger screen, exactly the same mapping and so many more options to update mapping.

One good app is Navmii, you can set maps for different vehicles, cars, vans, motorbikes, walking, coaches,etc. You can even link it to your music library.

The bigger players in the sat nav industry need to realise their days of charging extortionately for quarterly/yearly updates are over.

colin - 2016-07-24 5:19 PM

Brian Kirby - 2016-07-24 1:02 PM

My understanding of Garmin's "lifetime" definition is that it lasts until either the unit conks out, or until it can no longer cope with the firmware or map updates.

Maybe their policy has changed, I know someone who brought a Garmin with 'lifetime maps' which only lasted 18 months. Similar to the OP's it was a new but dated model.

Hi Colin, I wonder if he suffered the same fate that you experienced with your TT: that the installed memory was insufficient for the map update, and the device did not have an SD slot?

I currently have two Garmin nuvis. One is a 760T bought in the summer of 2008 and the other a 2495LMT bought in spring 2012. So, one is now 8 years old, the other 4 years old. Both have full Europe mapping and lifetime map updates, both have SD slots, and both are still being periodically updated via the lifetime map updates and Garmin Express. Both are registered with Garmin. The 760 is now generally taken as back-up, in case the 2495 throws a wobbler somewhere tricky, but it remains fully functional.

Neither is foolproof but, having said that, the improvement in navigational logic between the 760 and the 2495 is readily apparent in use. The 2495 even uses by-passes in lieu or routing trough town centres, as the 760 tends to do, and the 760 lacks lane guidance which is very useful when negotiating complex interchanges.

I think an up to date model is preferable to an end of line bargain for anyone who is going to use it to its full potential, mainly because it will have a longer life before firmware updates cease to be available, but also because each generation seems to see an improvement in the subtlety of the navigational algorithms. However, if all that is wanted is something to get its owner to his/her destination mainly via motorways, then, personally, I think almost any device would do.

As ever, its horses for courses, and it is very difficult to work out which horse to back unless one already has some experience of their limitations and quirks. A bit of a case of "don't go near the water until you can swim", to some extent! :-D

flicka - 2016-07-24 11:44 AM

It's disappointing to find most satnavs now need a card to run. My first TT had an internal drive of 2.5gb. It's only down to penny pinching cost that manufacturers don't fit internal drives.

donna miller - 2016-07-24 6:02 PM

I don't see the point in buying small screen sat navs any more when the average smart phone has a bigger screen, exactly the same mapping and so many more options to update mapping.

I notice taxi drivers use smart phones now as it keeps the windscreen clutter free. Many seem to fit them on the dash side edge. To be honest though i think i'd struggle to view one when driving. My main satnav has a 7" screen.

Keithl - 2016-07-23 10:31 PM

And for another few days Halfords are offering a 'Trade in' discount of 20% against certain models. The trade in can be any old device, working or not!

That's interesting! Broken sat nav devices can be found in eBay for just a couple of pounds these days!

My thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply to my SatNav query, I’ve learnt from your posts. It seems that I shall have to do some research before jumping at what initially seemed like a bargain.

Cattwg :-D

Archived