Belgian MOT- UK- Motorhome comparison.

Tomorrow i have to renew my yearly MOT, to drive further on my burstner A- class I728 G- Impulse reg 6/2015. On Fiat ducato AL- KO chassis High- Frame. I checked all exterior lights to be on. To name them: Front high beam and dim light composed in one lamp unit, They are adjustable in height by scews under the bonnet. But can also be moved i think on the dash buttons of fiat, not sure this works on integral motor home. Any way these finger buttons should be at zero setting at the MOT, any advise welcome. Than i have two front fog lights in separate clusters and two lamps in the rear in one big cluster. L/R They burn all together when pressed the front fiat fog light button. The rear fog light button of fiat has no function in my case, Also i do not have i high beam warning function in the front. Than i have Four side markers on each side. The front day leds burn when the contact key of fiat is on, and go out when the main lights are on. All side direction indicators six in total are working, and rear breaking including the burstner logo on the top. What says your MOT if one of them is not burning. *-)

It beats me why anyone submitting a vehicle for the the Belgian equivalent of the UK’s MOT test should be interested in what the UK test’s regulations are. Certainly, when my vehicles are UK MOT-tested, I couldn’t care less how that test compares to equivalents in other countries.

Having said that, full information on what’s involved in the UK MOT-test that applies to motorhomes is available on-line and the sections that deal with lighting can be read here

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-4-Lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment.html

Keithl - 2018-06-05 7:07 AM

I believe front fog lights and reversing lights are also excluded from the UK MOT.

Just for the record, although that would have been the case with the UK MOT-test regulations that were in force pre-20 May 2018, the current rules do cover "front fog lamps fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018” and an inspection must be carried out for "all reversing lamps fitted to vehicles first used from 1 September 2009”.

Derek your two last comments are very negative and discriminating A mot is a very important day every year in belgium. How old are you? I am on this site to learn from users. And try to be informative in return. This is a exact description of mine Mot of today which can be very interesting to yours. And inter- active. The station opened at 7 o clock in the morning sharp. I take the row of 3.5 t and above being the first to drive in. The team whit a leader are three persons The first person check your papers and plates ans stamping in metal of ZFA 250, not 290, and 0000 and the rest. He do not replace the plastic floor plate, first point critic, your sun glass can drop in that hole.Than apart from the two front seats belts, the extra seat belts should be clicked in. if not you get warning of unknown. And you will be on extra alert Than the exhaust test comes at 5000rpm. Than the suspension comes inspectors standing in a pit of 3.5 t and above, but i think this site has no clue or interest seeing past history, even air suspension. They do for me axle weights front and rear, not aware of my secret loading condion. All test OK And leader said never met such a informer on al- ko chassis. I do care of any Mot in The EU. Or you are completely blinf folded whit a plastic cap on your head. The last is not personal. Cheers

Monique, it sounds like your MOT is much the same as ours. I had mine done late March, there is now a couple of extra checks added since then.

MOT stations are either part of a garage, or a private company or individual only doing tests.

For our two main cars I take them to garage the evening before test, on the day the garage services the car and does the test.

For the van I have to take it to a test station with a bigger four post lift, this is a lone trader, and the test is really a two man job, so I drive the van onto lift and brake test rollers.

If I've remembered correctly the test goes like this, but as you can see from link Derek posted it is quite comprehensive.

I drive into test building leaving engine running to ensure it is up to temperature, and he switches on emissions testing machine to zero it.

We go into office and he logs into MOT system and enters vehicle details.

We return to vehicle he checks machine is zero'ed and then checks idle and fast emissions.

He gets in vehicle and checks millage and seat belts, He gets out I get in, he then tells me which lights to switch on and off whilst he checks them front and back, sound horn, work washers and wipers.

He then guides me to drive onto 4 post lift, with me inside the van is lifted high and front jacked then dropped to 1m and front wheels checked for any movement of bearings etc, then same is done for rear, then van is lifted high and he checks brake pipes and chassis for problems, I then have to turn steering lock to lock to check for movement in steering joints, van is then returned to floor.

I then drive off lift and onto brake tester, front wheels go in and test front brakes, drive forward, test foot brake for rears, then test handbrake.

I then drive forward to headlight test rig, lights are tested to ensure correct alignment so they don't dazzle other traffic.

Test complete.

We go to office and certificate is printed.

Colin marvelous description. Never aware it works that way in the uk. It looks similar to the netherlands that a local garage whit papers can do it. But not in belgium, These stations fall directly under the minister of mobility rules. And have no link what so ever whit a garage, and have a different head cap on.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-06-11 5:58 PM

Colin marvelous description. Never aware it works that way in the uk...

It normally does not "work that way in the UK”.

As Colin explained in his posting, he takes his motorhome to a MOT testing station operated by a single person and the test itself really needs two people to carry out efficiently.

A UK MOT testing station will usually not allow a vehicle's owner into the workshop area when the test is being performed because of the potential risks to people and equipment, though it’s reasonably common for the owner to be offered the opportunity to ‘view’ the test safely from outside the working area.

Frankly, I dread to think of the insurance implications of involving a vehicle’s owner/driver as an active participant in the testing procedure as happens in Colin’s case.

I think Monoque was more interested in it being a private garage.

I should note I.use two different garages for my vehicles, both allow me to participate in the testing if I'm there, in fact for one of my vehicles it needs me to drive it as it is tailored to me and the tester can't drive it.

I liked to see the differences in the Eu memberstates how they operate the MOT. And LPG- tank, and trailers. air suspension and many more. A very irretating thing about belgium i had whit my former chausson when i sold it a month afther the MOT. Again a MOT is required, but a different as normally. They issue a full test record on paper. Do you have the same procedure? Sorry to border you about this. But it can be important for a uk buyer in belgium. I spare you details in germany. But they have a licence reporting system. If you change a tyre size for example. At last in belgium you should be inside the test grid, and asked to step in and use the brake pedals on command by the tester standing in the pit, if can hear them. At last you have to drive yourselve the motorhome out of the test pits, and try to find a parking place. Pay the bill, and you will get your car papers, seeing you next year.

To be at your dealer- workshop and witness repairs is at own risk. For the Record. But it gave you a good idea how they doing and make some good contacts, apart from the selling of it. That is the way i do on all my cars. And i check my underbody when it is lifted, and walk under it. Again at the MOt your motorhome is never lifted up. Onlly at the dealer workshop. Take a look there if interested at all.

The Wikipedia entry relating to the UK’s MOT-test carries a lot useful background information and details of how the scheme operates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOT_test

An MOT-test certificate applies to a vehicle, and the vehicle’s owner has no relevance. There is no compulsion to have a vehicle re-tested when it is sold, but there is also nothing to prevent a vehicle being re-tested (say by a motorhome dealership) so that it is sold with an MOT-test certificate that has a full 12-months validity.

There is no compulsion? Can you sell private whit a valid Mot certificate? Insurance is related to the owner and who drive it. Yes you can tested AD-HOC your mobile any time you want. For example afther a collision. But that is a different entry gate at our mot. I think we covered most apart from the bump stops on fiat (lol)

Archived