Dunlop Air Assist Or Similar Installer Scotland

Thebroons

We bought ours direct from Marcle , and then arranged for our local fiat garage to fit them.

i believe if you have the skill, you can fit them yourself They definitely give a better ride and cornering

PJay

candapack - 2016-05-27 10:21 AM

I'm getting VB air suspension fitted next week. Turriff Caravan Centre, not exactly central Scotland but they were the only Scottish company recommended by VB. Also got a recommendation on another forum.

Are you getting the semi air option fitted.

Thebroons - 2016-05-27 2:37 PM

I'm getting VB air suspension fitted next week. Turriff Caravan Centre, not exactly central Scotland but they were the only Scottish company recommended by VB. Also got a recommendation on another forum.

Are you getting the semi air option fitted.

I'm getting it fitted to the rear axle only, as part of the process to get a weight upgrade. SVTech recommended VB or Marcle systems.

can't help with scotland fitters, but iv'e just had VB semi air fitted by SAP in Doncaster makes a great differance, and its fitted brilliantly with gauges and the switches to the right of the steering wheel all integral in the little usless shelf

Jonathan

silverback - 2016-05-27 11:47 PM

can't help with scotland fitters, but iv'e just had VB semi air fitted by SAP in Doncaster makes a great differance, and its fitted brilliantly with gauges and the switches to the right of the steering wheel all integral in the little usless shelf

Jonathan

I'm presuming you got a compressor with the system and the switches allow auto adjustments to the pressure.

Thebroons - 2016-05-28 9:16 PM

Jonathan

I'm presuming you got a compressor with the system and the switches allow auto adjustments to the pressure.

FYI, the system I'm getting just has gauges, no compressor. I'll have to adjust manually if required. I'm hoping that once it's set up I can just forget about it.

candapack - 2016-05-29 6:45 AM

FYI, the system I'm getting just has gauges, no compressor. I'll have to adjust manually if required. I'm hoping that once it's set up I can just forget about it.

Not quite, just like your tyres you'll have to check and correct the pressures before every journey.

Our Dunlop system loses pressure very slowly, more so than the tyres, and I have to add a small amount of air before every trip. I find a 'Joe Blow' track bicycle pump to be the best for this, requiring usually just 5 or 6 pumps to get back to my ideal pressure.

Keith.

Jonathan

Hope you don't mind me asking but how much is it costing and how long is fitting going to take as Turiff is hardly local for either of us.

Thebroons - 2016-05-29 10:05 AM

Jonathan

Hope you don't mind me asking but how much is it costing and how long is fitting going to take as Turiff is hardly local for either of us.

I've sent you a PM

Jonathan

yes it has a compressor and you flick the switch for inflate or deflate and the compressor fits behind the plastic trim on the drivers step into the van

Jonathan

Before going down the ‘air assist’ route it would be sensible to ask oneself “Why?”

Fitting air-bellows to a motorhome’s rear suspension will not automatically improve the vehicle’s on-road performance or comfort. If the motohome already has firm rear springs, adding air-bellows will stiffen the springing further: if the vehicle already corners well without much roll, adding air-bellows won’t turn the motohome into an F1 racing car.

There are credible reasons to fit air-assist – if the motorhome’s rear springs have started to sag, or the springs are inadequately stiff and the vehicle rolls drunkenly when cornering, or there’s too little clearance between the rear axle and the chassis above it, or the motorhome has a lot of rear overhang and its underside is prone to grounding on speed-humps or ferry boarding ramps.

The particular reason(s) for deciding to fit air-assist should allow an appropriate system to be selected. In some cases a basic system with no pressure gauges may be sufficient; in others where, say, it’s wished to occasionally raise the motorhome’s rear end very high (eg. to clear ferry boarding ramps) a system that includes a compressor may be preferable. The more sophisticated the system the more it will cost and, if you don’t need all the bells-and-whistles, why spend money on having them?

Derek Uzzell - 2016-05-30 7:25 AM

There are credible reasons to fit air-assist...

Or in Chris's case...

candapack - 2016-05-27 2:50 PM

I'm getting it fitted to the rear axle only, as part of the process to get a weight upgrade. SVTech recommended VB or Marcle systems.

Keithl - 2016-05-30 9:55 AM

Or in Chris's case...

Exactly. And thanks for the tip about being able to use a bicycle pump to inflate as required.

We do have a large overhang and bottomed out getting on and off the Corran ferry which thankfully the towbar electric plug bracket took the punishment.

Being able to avoid future grounding would be nice and if the air assist makes for a smoother journey then all the better.

candapack - 2016-05-30 1:44 PM

Or in Chris's case...

Exactly. And thanks for the tip about being able to use a bicycle pump to inflate as required.

We bought a 12v pump, much easier to use

PJay - 2016-05-31 12:02 PM

Or in Chris's case...

We use a small double acting pump of the bicycle. Quick and easy needing only a few strokes to top up the pressure. I'd bet it takes less time than getting a 12v pump out connecting it up possibly having to start the engine to get power to the socket then putting it all away and its certianly less hassle.

Colin Leake - 2016-05-31 7:28 PM

PJay - 2016-05-31 12:02 PM

Or in Chris's case...

We use a small double acting pump of the bicycle. Quick and easy needing only a few strokes to top up the pressure. I'd bet it takes less time than getting a 12v pump out connecting it up possibly having to start the engine to get power to the socket then putting it all away and its certianly less hassle.

The 12v is no hassle. we have an out let by the door , and the box is ;located by the step. you do not need the engine running. It would of course depend on the van layout, our hab door is at the rear of van so this works for us, it also has a gauge on it, so we can adjust accordingly , depending on weight and in some cases the temperature, it seems to go softer in the heat in Spain.

PJay

How did you get on with the install and have you found a difference when driving.

Archived