Elddis 400RL advice

Kevin1946

Hi,I am new to the site and new to Motorhome's this is my first one it is a 2004 with 2 previous owners it has high mileage 98,000.On buying it I fitted new Discs,new pads new wheel bearings new back drums & linings 2 track rods,I had it under sealed.It has had its Irish MOT equivelant and passed ( no rust)

What should I look for or do to it,I have been told they are prone to damp ( where should I look for it ) it is as new inside no sign of any wear.It has no extras,no awning,no rack.It was a retired couple who had it for 12 years and had all services done.I have fitted a tuning chip box ( Race Chip) to increase the power from 84 BHP to 105 bop I have used them on other diesels for 5 years No Issues.I expect it to go to 150,000 miles with good servicing I will use fully synthetic 5/30 5/40 every 7,000 miles.

ANY advice please,we are retired 71&69 and intend to use it weekends etc,we love the feeling of space with the L lounge

Kevin

Kevin/1946 - 2017-08-12 10:24 AM

I made a mistake in the post,and did not notice it.

The van I want help for is a 400RL September 2004 built on a MWB Boxer 290 ,it is a 1.9 LTR 84 BHP model with a tuning box ( race chip) to bring it to 105 BHP.

Kevin

Kevin,

I will correct the thread title for you.

Is your MH an Elddis Autoquest 400RL by any chance?

Keith (Assistant Mod).

Kevin

This (long and argumentative) 2013 forum discussion referred to damp-related problems with a 2010 Elddis Autoquest.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/ELDDIS-AUTOQUEST-2010-ALLOY-CORROSION-AND-WOOD-ROT/33446/

You should check very carefully the condition of your motorhome’s under-floor area, particularly where it is exposed to water being thrown up by the rear wheels. And, even though the interior is immaculate, check inside everywhere you can with a damp-meter, concentrating on joints (roof to body-sides, body-sides to floor) and around windows and rooflights.

Some advice here:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/the-importance-of-motorhome-damp-checks

For comments on the ‘mechanics’, you’ll need to say which motor your Elddis has. This Wikipedia entry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

suggests that your vehicle may have the 1997cc 2.0 JTD/HDi powerplant as this is rated at 84PS.

Thanks for that information I will start to do a full check in the morning ( retired) this is the detail I am looking for.Like the owner of the 2010 model,my hobby is old cars and I am not easily shocked I can do a lot of the work .

The engine is the 1997 JTC/TDI.

In Ireland these vans are a rediculous price and hard to find in good condition as no one ever has them serviced properly because there are only a couple of Motorhome dealers ,this one was imported from Northern Ireland and the import duty ( vehicle registration tax) was 3085€ It had a good history up to 2014.

THANKS for taking the time to help

Kevin

Derek,I got the meter out and checked all inside (30 spots) all the readings were 14 to 18 nothing above that,I did floor inside the presses etc.I poked under the van outside and it feels good BUT when I test under the van Outside with the damp meter I get 35,do you know if that is good or bad for under the van ?

Kevin

Humidity will affect outside readings to some degree.

A good visual inspection is important, as well as a poke around.

The rear quarters are the most prone areas, followed by the side skirt join.

If you can't find any soft timber, you might have found a good one!

Thanks for all the help,I am fairly happy with the damp meter readings.

I will put a rug buddy ( this is a 2 mtrs by 1/2 mtr 120 watt under rug heating pad) into it for the winter to keep it warm,I used one of these in a caravan I had before I bought this Elddis,they work well and cost 3 to 4€ a week to run 24 hours a day 7 days a week.I had it stuck to a carpet floor runner which looked good in the caravan.

It was also good to leave on on cold nights when travelling.

I have just ordered one from Amazon for the Elddis 145€ For a 50 cm X 200 cm they have them in other sizes.

Kevin

Archived