Fiat EGR Pipe Recall

pagey

hi guys had my egr pipe changed today long job took 5 hrs the sub frame needs to be dropped down for access. i asked to see the offending part which had a split about 30mm long around the mounting bracket during a conversation with the fitter he said when the pipe splits it will cause damage to the alternator wiring which is very close so check if your 2016/7 has a recall on it i only found out about the recall from a post on here i did not get any contact from fiat

(Edited title for clarity. Keithl)

hi afraid not the garage kept the old one maybe if nick reads this he can put a link to the pipe but i will say its not just a pipe there is more to it than that it seems to have some kind of cooler attached to it according to the fitter the part is about £200 shame its made of such thin stainless steel which is the cause of the problem

• 1 month later...
pagey - 2017-11-07 7:24 PM

hi guys had my egr pipe changed today long job took 5 hrs the sub frame needs to be dropped down for access. i asked to see the offending part which had a split about 30mm long around the mounting bracket during a conversation with the fitter he said when the pipe splits it will cause damage to the alternator wiring which is very close so check if your 2016/7 has a recall on it i only found out about the recall from a post on here i did not get any contact from fiat

(Edited title for clarity. Keithl)

Hi

Just back off holiday and have received a letter from Fiat regarding recall for the EGR pipe, although they say it should take an hour, guess it seems it could be rather longer..

Not sure what we do for 5 hours, ??

According to the Fiat site my van is not affected but according to the Driver & Vehicle Standards site the chassis number is in the range given.

Am I wrong in assuming that chassis 02E7.... are in the range 02A59559 to 02F21177?

Can anyone shed light on why I'm wrong?

Thanks

dave

darcywick - 2017-12-25 11:17 AM

I was told they would not do any recalls until they had sorted the problem out with fiat. I received a phone call to say that all was sorted and fiat time was correct, mine is due in in the new year they have the parts.

are you sure 0.8 is 48 mins so far fitting times are between 5 to 7 hrs

To update my earlier post if people agreed that my VIN was in the range:-

Visited my local FIAT Professional dealer - very informative and helpful!

Printed out the info on the FIAT database he had access to which, as an aside, showed that it didn't hang around at Rapido before it was converted but also that there was no reference to a recall being needed. He also showed me the appropriate sections of vehicles that he knew had recalls issued to show the difference in the info recorded. He did NOT identify the owners or the vehicles in any way so there was NO Data protection issues before anyone starts down that route! :-)

He did suggest that vehicles still at FIAT when the issue is discovered are often put right before despatch and that all the vehicles they have/are dealing with are early 2017 registrations. Whether this means that they just haven't got round to 67 reg vehicles yet remains to be seen.

Dave

Bought my van in July 2017 2.3 Fiat now done 2600 miles. ,

Had my letter dated 7 December 2017 FIAT CAMPAIGN 6152

Heading Fiat Ducato 2.3 E6 Non-Conforming EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Pipe

The gist of the text is that the EGR pipe could fracture and the possibility is that the alternator may be damaged resulting in a loss of battery voltage and potentially loss of engine power. Fiat Professional will check and carry out work free of charge. The check should take up to an hour and if required change the pipe. I assume another hour to change the pipe.

Booked in with Brownhills on 5 January and they found the pipe had fractured which took an hour. They replaced the pipe there and then which took about an hour. All done and dusted and signed off.

When we arrived we were told that if faulty the pipe had to be photographed and sent to Fiat who would approve and send the parts. But seemed vague on how long this would take. One story was that parts were not available and could therefore be 4-6 weeks. Spoke to another owner who had his vehicle checked the same day and they found a faulty intercooler and he could be off the road for 6 - 8 weeks. His van was new December 2017 and has only done 100 miles or so. But I am not sure if this is the same recall campaign or another.

I warned before about recall of recent models about EGR piping. There is always a EGR cooler in the pipe system. It can look like a thicker pipe or a rectangular box. The recalls are always general in description to the user, but not to the dealers. Leave the technical to them. I am aware of every screw in my motorhome thanks to my partner. It is exhaust gas returned to the cylinders for a second burn out and they are very hot.

Pagey.

I know there is confusion over this but from the time we left the van to when it had been checked and the part fitted was only a max of 3 hours. They must disconnect the battery because we had a call from Phantom at 11.20 about the power down and the van was finished at 14.30. I don't know what was done but I have the warranty form all completed.

Our 2017 Globecar was fixed in November, I called around to Platts Fiat garage they didn’t even inspect our van, they said that they knew the parts needed and to bring our van back a week later.

I dropped the van off at 8/30 am and Platts rung me back at 11/15 am as the work was done.

John.

Pagey, ours was fixed last Thursday, thank you for your previous explanation of the issue!! Ours needed not only the pipe replaced, which seemed a straightforward task, but also the cooler, which required the front subframe lowered for access. Perhaps this is the difference between some of the timings?

We had an added problem, our E&P levellers at the front got in the way of the subframe lowering and had to be removed, but all well in the end!

Bill

dicksob - 2018-01-07 7:23 PM

Pagey, ours was fixed last Thursday, thank you for your previous explanation of the issue!! Ours needed not only the pipe replaced, which seemed a straightforward task, but also the cooler, which required the front subframe lowered for access. Perhaps this is the difference between some of the timings?

We had an added problem, our E&P levellers at the front got in the way of the subframe lowering and had to be removed, but all well in the end!

Bill

hi i think you are right mine required the cooler as well

Archived