Karcher Help

cerro

I have a karcher 285 pressure washer and the water inlet has broken again inside the case, so I rang them up and after great difficulty managed to speak to three different women. So I asked where I could find the part on the net as I couldn’t find it,( I have had it a while but it’s like new) and what size was the Allan key screws that hold the case together as they are recessed well down, I had tried my keys and torx keys and none fitted. After a lot of messing about it was obvious they did not know. So they told me they could not divulge the part or tell me the key size for heath and safety reasons, and I had to take it to an agent. My god what is it coming to a simple part that screws on and six screws to hold the case together. Health and Safety!!!!!!!!!

Well, as they were speaking to someone who had rang them to ask what size Allen OR Torx key he needed(..even though HE was the one with the item was in front of him),they probably thought it best you left it well alone.... :D

(..like wise,I doubt you'd get much joy,if you rang up Ford/Vauxhall/BMW etc and expected the woman on the other end of the phone to know what size socket you needed, to take your starter motor off... ;-) )

...but if all else fails, blame 'elf'n'safety eh.. (lol)

Oh!..and Chatterbox the best place, maybe...?

Carro,

My Karcher is fairly old but from memory the screws are of the 'security' type with a small pip in the centre of the recess to prevent ordinary bits from undoing them. You will need bits specifically sold as 'security' and they will have a hole in the centre of the bit to fit over the pip. I also can't remember whether they are Allen screws or Torx Screws.

As for spare parts, sorry but I can't help.

Keith.

As an ex garage owner i have all these bits and so many snap-on-tools you wouldnt believe. but the screws are so deep down its difficult to see and I dont want to damage it trying bits that seem to fit but dont, If I could just get one out. But it seems like a special head that I have not seen before.Not to worry Il make some thing in the workshop to get one out. Pepe dear Oh Dear. Its because of people like you I dont go on chatterbox It is a pressure washer for washing motorhomes,

Hi Cerro

I needed the same security bits for my pressure washer and bought a complete set from Toolstation for less than a tenner, they are in a red box , it could depend on if they can reach the depth of the casing on your particular washer.

regards

Ray

If you have a coachbuilt motorhome then you should avoid using a pressure washer on it.

You can buy an adjustable nozzle from garden Centres, Wilkinsons etc for a couple of quid and attach it to your garden hose. That is enough pressure and safely washes down the van without risking damage to any seams.

Thanks everyone for your help I managed to get one screw out and its a Torx 15 I now have to make an extension on the Lathe to get to the four other screws deep down out. I will look at espares thanks Polo. Its a Panel van IH motorhome and I wash the mud under it.But the point I was trying to make was it was six screws for the case and a plastic part that unscrews Health and saftey seems a bit stupid to me (Its gone to far like Human rights). and I thought for the price of a phone call they could tell me the correct torx to save damage. As you engineers will know in reverse its so easy to damage tools like useing a philips screwdriver on a posidrive head (marked with the cross on the screw head) really makes a mess of the Philips screwdriver. But in my case it was the very small screw i didnt want to damage as it would have been Impossible to get out.

Guest JudgeMental
polo - 2013-05-02 9:34 AM

I got some bits for my pressure washer from

www.espares.co.uk

I have used them a few times also. You should be able to download a schematic of your model and identify the part and number.

Done and dusted, I thought it might help some one how I managed it. I cut the top of the torx 15 with the hack saw as its only hard at the torx end and then used a screw driver to unscrew it.deep down the hole. And the 285 M model is unavalable but the model K240 is the same fitting. Hope this helps some one.

Do a good search for spares espares can be very expensive I just replace the magnetron in our microwave espares were £70, £75 inc postage brought a genuine Panasonic one elsewear for £33 inc postage. Either though was cheaper than a new microwave at over 300 quid.

Archived