Left hand drive, yes or no

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave
As we are spending the majority of our time over the channel these days, I am considering a change to a LHD vehicle ( fed up of the missus flinching with passing French trucks ) any pro's and con's would be appreciated from those that may have done it please. ;-)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental

I have nearly always driven LHD simply as like you say we spend 90% of our holidays in Europe, so it makes more sense to me. The savings that can be had buying in Europe is also an important deciding factor.

Neither I or the wife had difficulty driving over here with it. there is a blind spot with a coachbuilt when turning right into traffic, you just have to be careful when approaching junctions so that you can see what is coming from your right.....This has been solved for us with the PVC as you have the large sliding door window so no longer a blind spot.

There was occasions last week on the narrow Gower roads (can I mention the Gower without you kicking off? :-D) when my wife was squirming at the closeness of oncoming traffic. in that situation with another large vehicle coming toward us, I pull in as tight as possible and let the oncoming vehicle manoeuvre around me...simply because he can see where he is going and I cant....

So to sum up I would not consider a RHD vehicle

How interesting!,

Probably the best regular poster to advise you on this Forum is Eddie (Judgemental), as he chose to buy L.H. drive models for his last two 'vans (at least) so, if you two (old?) codgers can 'bury the hatchet', at least for this thread, ;-) then you might have a useful discussion -- which could be helpful to the rest of us!

As I have a particular problem -- I have been totally blind in my right eye since the age of fourteen, but have had a clean licence since (eventually) passing the test in 1975. For this reason, I have never driven anywhere that drives on the right (either in a L.H. or R.H.D. vehicle) How Eddie drives his current L.H.D. panel van down the tiny lanes of Pembrokeshire & the Gower (as recommended by you. 1foot!) I do not know -- he's a:" better man rhan me Gunga Din!"

I would love to take my lovely little Symbol acrosss the channel, but am very unsure that I would have the courage to do so -- all helpful suggestions considered! My wife is a splendid (two-eyed) driver -- and did 2,500 miles in New Zealand (RHD!) in our first experience of 'vanning -- I developed a 'posterior vitreous detachment' in my left (seeing) eye, in Australia, just before we set off on the N.Z. trip -- so she did it all. Now that that scare has (mostly) cleared up and the danger of a second retinal detachment seems to have passed, I am much more confident that I can deputise when she is too tired ,or (heaven help us) ill to drive. But in a foreign land -- driving the 'wrong way round'? -- I'm not sure.

Help please!

Sorry this has 'gone on' a bit -- and doesn't answer your question, 1foot -- I didn't mean to bore people with my troubles -- but it might stimulate a discussion on the whole topic of left v. right hand drive.

Thanks for reading this self-obessed drivel :-D

cheers,

Colin.

Guest JudgeMental
nice contribution Colin! hope you keep well......... I certainly would not have enjoyed the Gower at all in my last van (coachbuilt Euramobil) To be honest new van is as easy as driving a car more or less.

I am totally opposite to Eddie on this, would not consider a LHD. First I have no problem with RHD in Europe, in fact am happier with it. Second, and a big consideration, is when you come to sell a LHD, if you want to resell in the UK you will take a big hit. You can get around this by buying and selling in europe but many do not want to do this. The choice of buying a LHD in UK is pretty small so you may be forced into buying in Europe, fine if you are happy with this but something to consider if you are not. At the moment you could sell your RHD in the UK and then negotiate a very good deal in Europe but as Eddie himself recently found out it is not easy to sell an import and a LHD in the UK.

Just re-read my post and it sounds a bit confused even to me, hope I have made my point clear.

To Colin, I really believe you will have no problems in europe, few do. Being RHD causes me no problem at all, rarely overtake on small roads with van anyway and on motorways no problem at all. On mountain roads it is pretty usefull to be RHD and know exactly where the edge is.

JudgeMental - 2011-06-07 11:37 AM

I have nearly always driven LHD

That's because you get them on the cheap

JudgeMental - 2011-06-07 11:37 AM

like you say we spend 90% of our holidays in Europe, so it makes more sense to me. The savings that can be had buying in Europe is also an important deciding factor.

Can't you make that permanent relocation. :D

All 3 of our vans have been LHD, all Hymer A class, We have no problems driving over here, and we go down to Llangenneth and most of the other sites on the Gower quite regularly. Yes the roads can be tight, but if they can fit coaches down there, then anything will fit if you're careful.

You tend to adapt to the vehicle fairly easily, pull up a bit straighter on roundabouts, or if you're lucky like us with the layout of your van, look through the kitchen window, and of course driving abroad is a lot less stressfull in a LHD.

This lady says "Go for it"

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2011-06-07 12:22 PM

I am totally opposite to Eddie on this, would not consider a LHD. First I have no problem with RHD in Europe, in fact am happier with it. Second, and a big consideration, is when you come to sell a LHD, if you want to resell in the UK you will take a big hit. You can get around this by buying and selling in europe but many do not want to do this. The choice of buying a LHD in UK is pretty small so you may be forced into buying in Europe, fine if you are happy with this but something to consider if you are not. At the moment you could sell your RHD in the UK and then negotiate a very good deal in Europe but as Eddie himself recently found out it is not easy to sell an import and a LHD in the UK.

Just re-read my post and it sounds a bit confused even to me, hope I have made my point clear.

I dont think this is necessarily true. my mistake was trying to sell van over the worse winter in years....Since I PX'd it with German dealer, I have had loads of enquiry's once the weather started to improve. so I think you are wrong and LHD will sell, albeit not as well as RHD I guess, but we have had LHD in the past and this is the first time I have encountered a problem.

The German dealer gave me 29000 euro (£26000 at the time) there was some damp in van so he has had that fixed (Euramobil warranty) and just put it up for sale for 32700 euro.....I cant imagine many UK dealers being happy with that kinda margin! but they are a massive concern......

EDIT:

Have just seen that the resident Troll, you know the one, our very own village idiot? has joined the debate with as per usual, not one iota of common sense to offer.......Is he really going to be allowed to spread his stupidity though every thread on here like a virus....

Postnote.

Are you deliberately trawling this forum to find anything the judge posts, to continue your tiny minded battle of insults ?, By all means continue your playground war on the other thread, but stop hijacking every new one.

It really is getting rather tedious, and it's starting to piss me off.

when you come to sell a LHD, if you want to resell in the UK you will take a big hit. You can get around this by buying and selling in europe but many do not want to do this. The choice of buying a LHD in UK is pretty small so you may be forced into buying in Europe, fine if you are happy with this but something to consider if you are not. At the moment you could sell your RHD in the UK and then negotiate a very good deal in Europe but as Eddie himself recently found out it is not easy to sell an import and a LHD in the UK

To Colin, I really believe you will have no problems in europe, few do. Being RHD causes me no problem at all, rarely overtake on small roads with van anyway and on motorways no problem at all. On mountain roads it is pretty usefull to be RHD and know exactly where the edge is.

Henry, (Rupert123), thank you very much for that -- I meant to make the point about re-sale in the U.K. -- so I am glad that you did.

You 'hit the nail on the head' as far as my worries are concerned -- overtaking and blind spots are my chief concern -- not always easy with only a left eye over here -- feels almost insurmoutable the other way about, twisting the neck around to 'spot' everything that is going on and keep the old eye on all of the mirrors at the same time in a vehicle somewhat wider than my usual Honda Jazz transport --- but I must 'screw my courage to the 'sticking post' and give it a go --- sometime --- ( in someone else's van maybe :D )

Colin.

P.S. I take the point about mountain Roads -- hadn't thought of that!

C.

Symbol Owner - 2011-06-07 11:48 AM

As I have a particular problem -- I have been totally blind in my right eye since the age of fourteen, but have had a clean licence since (eventually) passing the test in 1975. For this reason, I have never driven anywhere that drives on the right (either in a L.H. or R.H.D. vehicle) How Eddie drives his current L.H.D. panel van down the tiny lanes of Pembrokeshire & the Gower (as recommended by you. 1foot!) I do not know -- he's a:" better man rhan me Gunga Din!"

I would love to take my lovely little Symbol acrosss the channel, but am very unsure that I would have the courage to do so -- all helpful suggestions considered! My wife is a splendid (two-eyed) driver -- and did 2,500 miles in New Zealand (RHD!) in our first experience of 'vanning -- I developed a 'posterior vitreous detachment' in my left (seeing) eye, in Australia, just before we set off on the N.Z. trip -- so she did it all. Now that that scare has (mostly) cleared up and the danger of a second retinal detachment seems to have passed, I am much more confident that I can deputise when she is too tired ,or (heaven help us) ill to drive. But in a foreign land -- driving the 'wrong way round'? -- I'm not sure.

Help please!

cheers,

Colin.

Colin,

It's difficult to comment appropriately without personally experiencing your eyesight problems, so forgive me if any of the following seems a bit crass.

Whilst I enjoy the freedom the motorhome brings me in the UK, the ability to explore (sometimes off the beaten track) in Europe is what really "makes" the pursuit for me.

Since you are happy to drive in the UK (and I admire you for it - simply closing one eye gives a perspective (or lack of it!) on what the challenges are), I would surmise that it is a matter of confidence (for both you, and/or your wife) in driving on "the wrong side".

Frankly, in pure driving, I think there is very little difference, the main issue being that of overtaking, as one cannot see clearly past vehicles in front without pulling well out into the road. Being accompanied by another driver, one simply has to rely on their judgement, and in your case whichever of you is driving, there will be a competent driver in the other seat. (And of course, if you're prepared to be relaxed, as one should be on holiday, then the impetus to overtake simply gets minimised anyway).

Rules of the road, driving habits etc. differ somewhat from the UK, but hey, we all have to come to terms with those, and it's part of the holiday.

One really positive point is that, with some exceptions, the roads in mainland Europe are generally quieter than the UK, making the driving experience somewhat more relaxing than one might otherwise think.

To build your confidence, could you not have a foray into the closer (and quieter) areas of, say, France, out of the main season, in order to try things out?

Whilst certainly not my favourite part of France, there are plenty of interesting places to visit within 100 miles of the Channel ports, (which means not far to drive if you beat a retreat :-) ).

It would be a pity not to give it a try - if you find you aren't comfortable, then at least you will have tried. On the other hand, if you cope OK, then a whole new world (almost literally) opens up to you.

Guest JudgeMental
donna miller - 2011-06-07 12:47 PM

Postnote.

Are you deliberately trawling this forum to find anything the judge posts, to continue your tiny minded battle of insults ?, By all means continue your playground war on the other thread, but stop hijacking every new one.

It really is getting rather tedious, and it's starting to piss me off.

Donna he is doing this on nearly EVERY thread as well as stalking me :-D

When are you going to post your real picture, and remove the avatar of your Mum? As we all know how HOT you really are..... :D

WE brought a RHD as 'er indoors preferred it but she will only drive the van on Motorway. Wish I'd followed my inclination and brought a LHD, of around 6000miles a year 4000 - 5000 of them are over the water.

When it comes to changing the van with the way prices have gone up and residuals holding up it may be difficult to find a UK buyer for a cash sale, at least with a LHD van I would have the option of trading in & as Eddie has found out dealers over the channel work on much more realist margins & you don't feel you are being ripped off.

Next van will defiantly be LHD.

Robin Hood -- thank you so much for your sympathetic and helpful post -- it is surprising -- even after nearly 60 years -- how much the old brain can compensate for the lack of a 'headlight' -- it is in extreme conditions ( i.e. foggy nights) when the lack of the depth of field that you fully sighted drivers enjoy makes itself felt, but you are helping me to feel more confident -- and we can always 'stay put' if conditions become too difficult -- that's the beauty of a 'van!

Please don't let my particular concerns put you ( and others) from answering 1foot's original post, however -- I don't want hi-jack his thread -- well, not completely!

Thanks again,

Colin.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I already have a (second hand) LHD Laika in mind up for sale in the UK that's if it still available when we get back, and to be honest the biggest motivation for change is my wife does find it a tad stressful being the one on the side of the oncoming traffic, always has done ( and no it's not my driving style ) especially when on the smaller "D" roads. Are there any downsides that I'm not aware of, higher or more difficult to find insurers for example. have emailed a couple this morning, but as we are currently down near Bordeaux phoning around some of the brokers is not really an option.

The contributor with the vision problem, Colin is it, I would say this. If you are a fairly confident driver in the UK, don't let it hold you back. Landing at Calais from the ferry takes you directly on to the motorway, and just a few miles down the road you'll be able to pull up on your first Mway aire, and take a deep breath, and say wow I've done it. No knowledge of French, don't worry, its amazing our ability to communicate in one way or the other. To digress still further I still remember our first outing over here, I was so terrified at the prospect we very nearly did not drive on to the ferry. What a monumental mistake for us that would have been. I'll go further and tell you we will be back to the UK at the end of June, returning here around the first week in September, you want to just follow behind to get your confidence for a little outing to say the Normandy area, then that could easily be arranged. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

See..... this is the 1 foot that I remember...welcome back Eric and have a great trip. :-D

On insurance we used to be with NFU and others, but have been with safeguard for years. have never had a problem insuring LHD

Eric (1 foot inthe grave),

What a super chap you are! I probably won't take you up on your offer as I wouldn't want to cramp your style, but you ( and others) have done wonders for my self-confidence already! I have got a wonderful wife as 'back-up' -- even if some gormless Aussie (when we were in N.Z.) told me: "Never trust a Sheila driver"! Little did he know -- she's at least as good/usually better than any man I've ever travelled with -- kept us out of trouble (often caused by macho male drivers) time and time again!

Rant over -- sorry!

Thanks again for your thoughtful post.

Colin.

P.S. Talking of lady drivers -- does anyone know what's happened to Mel B.? -- or is she just 'p*ssed off' with 'Postnote' too? >:-)

JudgeMental - 2011-06-07 1:04 PM

Donna he is doing this on nearly EVERY thread as well as stalking me :-D

When are you going to post your real picture, and remove the avatar of your Mum? As we all know how HOT you really are..... :D

Ha Ha Ha, pmsl, you sure know how to turn on the charm. :D

JudgeMental - 2011-06-07 12:33 PM

I dont think this is necessarily true. my mistake was trying to sell van over the worse winter in years....Since I PX'd it with German dealer, I have had loads of enquiry's once the weather started to improve. so I think you are wrong and LHD will sell, albeit not as well as RHD I guess, but we have had LHD in the past and this is the first time I have encountered a problem.

The German dealer gave me 29000 euro (£26000 at the time) there was some damp in van so he has had that fixed (Euramobil warranty) and just put it up for sale for 32700 euro.....I cant imagine many UK dealers being happy with that kinda margin! but they are a massive concern......

EDIT:

Have just seen that the resident Troll, you know the one, our very own village idiot? has joined the debate with as per usual, not one iota of common sense to offer.......Is he really going to be allowed to spread his stupidity though every thread on here like a virus....

Donna's new name for him on the other thread is pretty spot on, much better than the original.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Oh what a pity, just as some good advice was coming along that may of been of interest to others as well as me it looks like the thread is going to go pear shaped as is often the case. I'll bow out now gracefully before my blood pressure rises once more, but thanks for the useful thoughts and experiences relayed before it did :-S

My vote is "yes".

We bought a cheap LHD motorhome as we thought we'd spend more time on the continent than here, then after the first summer in France have driven it much more here! It's all been fine, only problem being difficulty seeing back down a road you're entering if you're turning left at an angle. So I either adjust my angle of approach or ask the passenger to check for me.

Another plus for us was, as we were on a limited budget the second hand LHD models available were a tad cheaper than RHD motorhomes.

Felt a bit strange driving "in the gutter" for the first few miles, but soon got used to it.

Insurance was no problem and still isn't. I get it for £124 a year (or thereabouts, can't remember exact figure).

Steve

Guest JudgeMental

A survey would be interesting to see what percentage on here drive LHD...anyone know how to do that?

I would hazard a guess of probably about 20 + %

Jez..... cheer up Eric your on holiday! :-D

Guest Tracker

Ability and confidence are very individual and what for some seems easy peasy is a real worry for others.

I've driven RH and LH cars and vans both in the UK and in mainland Europe and apart from overtaking there is very little difference.

It could be argued that driving a RHD vehicle abroad is safer than a LHD because you are continually reminded by it's configuration that you are not at home?

It all comes down to personal preference and nobody should feel that they have to justify their choice for whatever reason as there are good reasons to go LHD and just as many good reasons to remain with RHD.

The biggest fear for many is the different road rules, customs, laws and road signs but even those are not insurmountable with some prior research and whilst the initial learning curve is steep as you leave the first time ferry most folk quickly adapt and most say that they didn't realise it would be so easy!

No doubt we have all turned the wrong way or started on the wrong side of the road when coming out of a T junction, crossroads or pull in - or gone the wrong way round a roundabout - I have! - be particularly aware of junctions with no road markings - but you don't usually do it twice and most continental drivers seem to make allowances for GB plated vehicles as indeed many of us in the UK do for Mainland European vehicles whose drivers occasionally also get it wrong.

In response to Colin and Eric, my thoughts, for what they are worth, based on two LHD vans owned since early 2005, little used in UK, but extensively used in Europe. About 30,000 miles total. I have had/have rear view cameras in both - not just reversing cameras. Both vans coachbuilt, about 6 metres long.

First, LHD in UK. Not generally a problem. On dual carriageways the only problem is seeing overtaking traffic. Given the good mirrors on both vans (Transit/Ducato), and the camera, this has never been a problem. (Colin might have a bit more of a problem with this, as the UK offside/Europe nearside (right hand) mirror can be a bit of a long way off to the right on his blind side, but once the other side of the Channel, that disadvantage should become an advantage.) On two lane roads in UK one's chances of overtaking anything are approximately zilch, due to traffic densities (at least in this part of the country!). As Henry (Rupert 123) says re RHD in Europe, there is no great disadvantage because your eye level is above the general traffic, so forward view is generally unaffected by LHD/RHD considerations. There can be a problem at some roundabouts, and at oblique junctions, where a view to the rear offside is required, and the van wall obstructs. Best strategy is to pull up as square as possible. However, this will be no different to RHD in Europe. A passenger can be a great advantage! :-)

LHD in Europe is as RHD in UK, except that traffic densities are generally far lower (except Belgium [and probably Netherlands] where population density creates traffic densities approaching SE UK levels). True for Belgium, haven't yet strayed into Netherlands: no need, you can meet most of the Dutch elsewhere! :-D

The only other thing is whether you can adapt to the different cab layout. Basically, this consists of how long it takes you to learn to reach for the gearchange with your right hand instead of trying to open the window, and vice versa when you return home and leap into your RHD car! Some find the change easier than others, and some just can't adapt. It may be worth hiring a LHD abroad before leaping in, just to see. Our first van was LHD, so I had to adapt to both the larger vehicle and LHD, though I had driven LHD cars a bit in France years before. From memory, it took about three days to use the right hand if I was in active mode, and about the same number of weeks to do it instinctively if I was in passive mode!

For Colin, I would say that driving in Europe generally, but especially in France, should be easier than driving in UK. First, he will have his good eye on the offside, so should gain some small advantage from that positioning. Second, the traffic densities are so much lower that, once adapted to right hand traffic (for which allow a 2/3 days), if you stick to the "D" roads, you can almost read a book while driving. Roads are generally well surfaced, well marked, clearly signed, with well defined junctions and priorities, and have tidier, and wider, verges with little to no overhanging vegetation. There are exceptions, of course, but not that many. Briefly, for anyone who can remember driving in France in the 60's, doing so now feels like driving in the UK felt in the 60's, and the UK by contrast now feels like France felt in the 60's. Cross the channel, and driving becomes, in general, a relaxed, reasonably quick, pleasurable, mode of travel. So, if you can comfortably drive in England, you'll be in driver-heaven in France! :-D

You can buy used LHD vans in UK if you wish. Getting new LHD in UK is more difficult, and you will pay approximately the same as for RHD. If you want price advantage you should buy in France, Germany or Belgium. How much you save will depend on what you go for, on whether it is in stock or has to be ordered, and on where you buy it. Germany is the largest market, and has the lowest prices, especially for German made vans (which gives plenty of choice!). Its problem is distance from the channel ports, meaning to-ing and fro-ing can be time consuming, and adds cost. Northern Belgium can be good, and is much easier for the ports and, for historic reasons, the Flemish speaking Belgians take it as a matter of pride that they speak English, though most will also grudgingly speak French if money is concerned! :-) For France, it is generally better to stick to the dealerships around Calais, where some English will generally be spoken. This can limit makes a bit, but the further south and west you go, the wider your choice becomes. As a generalisation, what you won't get, is a UK type (and definitely not UK made) van. You almost certainly won't get a full cooker, and ovens and grills are rare. You will almost certainly get the Eurolounge with a fixed bed. In France, there is a strong preference for low profiles, less marked in Germany. You will generally get a larger fridge than in UK, for any given size of van. Ditto kitchen cupboard space. No oven = more storage!

You will not get comprehensive insurance to drive your van back to UK. You will also have some difficulty getting insurance to drive your van in UK before it is registered (though this is quite possible, just not all insurers will give the cover). You can get third party only cover from Germany on temporary export plates, that will get you to UK and should last until UK registration is completed, though it would obviously be better to get F/C UK insurance from your port of entry home. The risk is obvious, it is a matter of how you feel about taking it. Driving in UK before registration will be limited to port to home, and probably from home to nearest VOSA inspection facility and back. You will not get temporary insurance of any kind in France, though your vehicle will be given temporary French registration. I should add that theoretically you should now be able to get F/C UK insurance on foreign plates, valid for one month, to allow you to drive home and re-register the vehicle in UK, but so far as I know no UK insurer offers this. All the above are perfectly legal: you pays your money, and takes your risks accordingly. To register the vehicle in UK you will need to change the headlamps for left dippers, to change the speedometer display for one that reads MPH, and possibly change the rear fog lamp to the UK offside (the vehicle centreline, or both sides, are equally acceptable).

There is at least one specialist UK personal importer, Bundesvan, who will source your van in Germany (possibly France or Belgium): going with you to the dealer to view and place your order, then import it to UK, register it, and deliver it to your front door, all on his trade plates/insurance. Before delivery he will give you a UK registration number to allow you to obtain UK insurance, and him to obtain the V5C registration document. This avoids the risk of driving your new van across Europe on third party only insurance and still offers the prospect of a substantial saving on UK prices. How much depends on what you choose, what the (mainly) German market is like at the time, and the exchange rate.

Regarding sale of a LHD van in UK, there is a market for these so, although the price is lower than the equivalent used RHD van, they will sell for cash, or trade. You may, as Eddie did, be able to trade it against another LHD van in Europe, easier I think, in Germany, because registration numbers are allocated to the person, and not the vehicle, so the plates would be changed anyway. This is facilitated if the van originally came from Germany, because you will get the German proof of ownership document, so the change of ownership is no more complicated, at least in principle, than for any German registered van. You won't make money on your import if you change it, but there is no reason you should lose proportionately any more than you would had you bought an RHD van in UK and then changed that. Compared to an equivalent RHD van bought in UK, you will have saved several thousand pounds on the initial purchase price, and this saving is broadly reflected in the reduced UK second-hand price. If you buy another LHD to replace it, whether in UK or abroad, you will merely maintain that price advantage. The only way you would "lose", is if you subsequently pay the premium to buy a RHD van in UK. However, even then, I don't see how that rates as a "loss", since you will have kept the cash you originally saved for the duration you have owned the van, or you will have owned a higher value van over that same period of time than you would otherwise have been able to afford.

You do need to check the relative prices for the van you want in UK and elsewhere, and you need to chose your moment relative to exchange rate fluctuations but, given that you proceed with (apologies Colin, I just can't think of a better expression!) eyes open, buying abroad is a clear win-win.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Blimey Brian, that's almost a book, but very useful so thanks for taking the time out to write it up.

My Wife has since put a spanner in the works this afternoon by reminding me I had a great deal of difficulty with a LHD hire car in Corfu about 15 years ago when I managed to whack the N/S wind mirror clean of on a tree, never before or since did anything like it. So I am going to have to think this one through carefully, mmm, as they say "act in haste, repent at leisure" perhaps that D936 that I travelled the other day would be even more fun and games in a left hooker :-|

Archived