Left hand drive, yes or no

Guest 1footinthegrave

Brian Kirby - 2011-06-08 12:10 PM

Barryd999 - 2011-06-08 9:10 AM............................. I just want something thats built like a tank, got a rear lounge and front dinette and will take a scooter and rack. Not an easy find it seems. ...................................Good thread.

What you are looking for, essentially, is a UK favoured layout, for which there is little demand elsewhere. If you want that layout you may find you are left with Hobson's choice outside the UK. I think it is our weather, often cool and breezy, not infrequently damp, that drives us indoors and makes that lounge, and the almost obligatory oven/grill unit, appealing. The same is true of houses. We value the lounge, usually with fitted carpets, and comfortable sofas. The older French houses I have been in don't have lounges, just large kitchen-diners, where the family spends most of its time either eating, talking, or watching telly, around the dining table.

I'm sure you will already have noticed this, but once you cross the channel, folk seem to spend more time outside their vans, or take their leisure around the dining table with that ever-present telly. To get the best choice from the vans available outside the UK, you may need to consider changing your pattern of living to a more continental model, and forget about lounges! :-)

We are entirely comfortable in a 6.0 metre van for 8-10 weeks or more at a time, and find it accommodates all our needs. We use sites, so that takes away some of the demands on space, and it is true the currently popular French van, much seen on aires as well as on sites, is around 7-7.5 metres (with consequently little payload at 3.5 tonnes!), but neither ours, nor its larger French counterpart, has a lounge as such - just the front Eurolounge living-dining space. To relax, we just park outside, and often eat outside, unless the weather is too unpleasant, which is not, generally, too often, once south of the Loire, or just go for an amble.

Oi! What happened to Darth thingy? :-D

After just spending 12 weeks touring the Western Isles and Northern Scotland, ANY european style 'live outside' van would have been totally useless, as it was a bit 'Damp' to say the least.

even with a 'Brit friendly' (I detest that phrase in MMM !) Autocruise CH, 'Cabin Fever' broke out a few times, Sanity only restored with a brisk walk in full Waterproofs with a Damp Labrador.

We are back to 'Horses for Courses', it depends where you 'Mainly' tour, if it's the UK then a 'Euro-lounge' is a strain on your sanity, and LHD downright dangerous.

If you spend your time mainly in Europe then both make perfect sense.

BUT, unless you can influence the 'Jetstream' and improve Britains weather, Many,Many will still require vehicles REALLY designed for British Touring, ie Large 'Feet Up' lounges, Habitation doors that don't deposit you into the path of oncoming traffic, and of course a decent oven that doesn't require a step ladder to reach. (I'm sure 'Elf an safety' doesn't know about the last two ??). So, for me anyway, it has to be RHD. Ray ;-)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RHD, but with a continental rear layout, ie habitation door on the UK offside.

RHD because hubby is happier driving in the UK as he does normally in a car, less likely to 'forget' where he is and if he takes the 'van out on his own he can safely manouvre, overtake etc without worry. When abroad we are always together in the van so if he needs to overtake there, I can let him know when it is safe to pull out so a RHD In a LHD country isn't a problem.

Continental rear layout with habitation door on the UK offside - this works well for us both in the UK and abroad, it means that we have easy access/egress doors on the rightside (habitation) and on the leftside (passenger), much the best option with dogs as we can safely get in and out wherever we park.

Rayjsj - 2011-08-13 12:14 PM....................................... We are back to 'Horses for Courses', it depends where you 'Mainly' tour, if it's the UK then a 'Euro-lounge' is a strain on your sanity, and LHD downright dangerous. ..............................

I disagree with this. We are talking about motorhomes, not cars (where I have greater reservations), and I do agree it would be perverse to buy a LHD van to tour just the UK; but "downright dangerous"? How is LHD in UK, any more dangerous than RHD in Europe?

Most agree that the advantage is small, and many who drive RHD in Europe even claim they suffer no disadvantage (though in most cases I'm unsure how, never having driven LHD, they profess to know!) so, based on my own experience, I would say that LHD in UK is no more of a disadvantage than RHD in Europe, and that while RHD in UK and LHD in Europe is, on balance, preferable, driving from the nearside does not presents a particularly enhanced risk. The small enhanced risk is quite manageable, if it is recognised and compensated for, which most seem able to accomplish without undue strain.

Were either practice "downright dangerous", we would surely be inundated with endless stories of holiday accidents, and greatly enhanced insurance premiums, as a consequence. I am unaware that this is the case.

Rayjsj - 2011-08-13 12:14 PM

After just spending 12 weeks touring the Western Isles and Northern Scotland, ANY european style 'live outside' van would have been totally useless, as it was a bit 'Damp' to say the least.

even with a 'Brit friendly' (I detest that phrase in MMM !) Autocruise CH, 'Cabin Fever' broke out a few times, Sanity only restored with a brisk walk in full Waterproofs with a Damp Labrador.

We are back to 'Horses for Courses', it depends where you 'Mainly' tour, if it's the UK then a 'Euro-lounge' is a strain on your sanity, and LHD downright dangerous.

If you spend your time mainly in Europe then both make perfect sense.

BUT, unless you can influence the 'Jetstream' and improve Britains weather, Many,Many will still require vehicles REALLY designed for British Touring, ie Large 'Feet Up' lounges, Habitation doors that don't deposit you into the path of oncoming traffic, and of course a decent oven that doesn't require a step ladder to reach. (I'm sure 'Elf an safety' doesn't know about the last two ??). So, for me anyway, it has to be RHD. Ray ;-)

We spent a couple weeks in Scotland in April our euro lounge does not cause us any problems can't think of anywhere more comfy to sit relaxing in the swivelled cab seats with feet up on the sofas.

Exiting the offside habitation door is no different to getting out of the drivers door on a RHD (our van is actually RHD with habitation door on the offside).

As for a comfy lounge for use in bad weather what's the point of that if like most UK vans the van's not fully winterised so you can't use it in real bad weather anyway.

I will admit our oven is a bit high, on reflection I think I prefer it as it does not use up useful storage space.

My Frankia is LHD and imported from Germany.

I find driving in UK sat in the "wrong" seat as an advantage as so many Councils have no budget left to cut back the hedges and vegetation on the road verges and being LHD I have time to take avoiding action or pull in close to hedges on narrow roads.I pull in and STOP letting the other driver who can see the side of my van,get past.

Also those nice stone walls in the Dales !! Never a problem in France where the road verges are kept tidy and well back from the edge.

Also on a German van with a single drivers door on the LHD side ,easier for driver re-fueling, the map lockers etc. are next to the passenger where they should be.

The main disadvantage already mentioned is overtaking and angled junctions where you do rely on the passenger. The dreaded words " OK if you are quick !!" spring to mind !!!

Brian Kirby - 2011-08-14 12:24 PM

Rayjsj - 2011-08-13 12:14 PM....................................... We are back to 'Horses for Courses', it depends where you 'Mainly' tour, if it's the UK then a 'Euro-lounge' is a strain on your sanity, and LHD downright dangerous. ..............................

I disagree with this. We are talking about motorhomes, not cars (where I have greater reservations), and I do agree it would be perverse to buy a LHD van to tour just the UK; but "downright dangerous"? LHD in UK, any more dangerous than RHD in Europe? How is

Most agree that the advantage is small, and many who drive RHD in Europe even claim they suffer no disadvantage (though in most cases I'm unsure how, never having driven LHD, they profess to know!) so, based on my own experience, I would say that LHD in UK is no more of a disadvantage than RHD in Europe, and that while RHD in UK and LHD in Europe is, on balance, preferable, driving from the nearside does not presents a particularly enhanced risk. The small enhanced risk is quite manageable, if it is recognised and compensated for, which most seem able to accomplish without undue strain.

Were either practice "downright dangerous", we would surely be inundated with endless stories of holiday accidents, and greatly enhanced insurance premiums, as a consequence. I am unaware that this is the case.

I think that Insurance Companies will disagree with you, one of the questions they ask is, 'Is the vehicle L/H or R/H drive'. I have, many times been ' Pulled out on' when overtaking LHD Motorhomes and (more often) by Trucks on Motorways, on Roundabouts without a Passenger in the R/H seat I have also been 'nearly swiped' by Continental 'handed' vehicles. But, I'm Really talking about 'The overtaking Action' on single carriageway roads, especially without a passenger in the R/H seat. Potentially VERY dangerous. I think if you Motohome mainly in the UK ,then RHD makes more sense.

As for the Lounges, I did say I was away for 12 weeks, and even in a lovely ( NO upright uncomfortable 'Euro-lounge' seats) 'Brit-Friendly' lay- down lounge the bad weather Can STILL get to you. My M/Home has an Inboard fresh water tank so is Fine when the weather gets really Cold.

My views on 'sky-high' ovens and Offside mounted habitation doors remain. I will not have them. ;-) Ray

How is LHD in the UK any more dangerous than RHD in Europe ? it's Not, they are both equally dangerous....unless the driver takes extreme care.....and doesn't take chances. but they (we) DO, don't they (we) ?

Rayjsj - 2011-08-15 7:39 PM........................................I think that Insurance Companies will disagree with you, one of the questions they ask is, 'Is the vehicle L/H or R/H drive'. I have, many times been ' Pulled out on' when overtaking LHD Motorhomes and (more often) by Trucks on Motorways, on Roundabouts without a Passenger in the R/H seat I have also been 'nearly swiped' by Continental 'handed' vehicles. But, I'm Really talking about 'The overtaking Action' on single carriageway roads, especially without a passenger in the R/H seat. Potentially VERY dangerous. I think if you Motohome mainly in the UK ,then RHD makes more sense.........................................

You must, of course, declare that the vehicle is LHD when insuring. Material facts, and all that. However, it didn't seem to alter the premium, so I assume the risk is not considered that great. Some companies may.

I must say I haven't had your experiences with LHD vehicles in UK to the extent they worry me. One truck on the M20 I can remember, but I can also remember another on the A35 in France, and we were both LHD! Just bad driving, I think, in both cases.

I have very limited experience of overtaking in UK on two lane roads - there is usually far too much traffic to allow a vehicle with relatively low acceleration to do so, and few of our roads in any case have sufficiently long straights even when nothing is coming. But then, much the same is true in Europe. Overtaking is dangerous, period.

However, as above, I agree there is little point in buying LHD if you mainly use the van in UK, I think the disadvantages are minor, mainly at oblique junctions, but one learns to turn square on approach to leave the view clear. It is a work around, and not ideal, but I can't afford a LHD van for Europe and a RHD one for UK, so summat has to give! :-D

Guest JudgeMental
mikemelson - 2011-06-13 5:49 PM

I have driven probably over a couple of hundred thousand miles in Europe during the last 50 years & I would never consider LHD especially in a van.

I love the mountains, with RHD you know how close you can get to the edge when a large lorry or coach is thundering towards you.

I hired a car once from Palma airport and had not got a hundred yards when I lost a mirror, so I'll stay with what I feel safe in.

My feelings are absolutely the opposite of yours. We have just got back from Croatia/Italy and on some hair raising narrow twisty mountain roads I feel much safer and able to judge the situation far more clearly sitting just inside the centre white line, and being able to see clearly the outside edge of oncoming trucks etc....

LHD is a no brainer IMO if you spend most of your holidays in Europe... On top of that the campers are much better value and genrally better built.

Archived