Left hand drive, yes or no

Guest 1footinthegrave

Phew! Thanks a bundle for that Brian!

Now, Eric, aren't you glad that you didn't withdraw from this thread as the nameless 'troll' tried to incite you to do? (see 'chatterbox -- "Want to come to my party?)

We don't have to let him ( or perhaps her) 'win' you know!

Best wishes, whatever decision that you come to on this one and thanks once again for your very kind offer -- you never know, I might just take it up.

Cheers,

Colin.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave
To be honest I've often though of making a similar offer to anyone who may be ( as I was ) full of trepidation at the whole across the water thing. the sorts of questions I had were, how or do I need to book a site in advance, what if I can't speak the language, the mysteries surrounding Aires and there use, or non use as the case may be. What are the roads going to be like, am I going to genuinely feel like a fish out of water, what about the shops, getting fuel, the list goes on and on. And the dreaded priorité à droite, not such an issue that it was, but still terrifying none the less for the unwary.Now thankfully being phased out.Traffic lights that go straight from Red to green, despite the presence of an amber lamp ! PM me if you want any more info, as well as searching these forums. ;-)

My last 3 vans have been LHD. 2 coachbuilts & a panel van.

Panel van no problem as lots of windows. First coachbuilt a nightmare when solo as I could only see door on angled approaches to roundabouts.

Second coachbuilt is great because Vanbitz fitted a dual camera system. The second camera is fitted on the passenger side of the dashboard and looks at the bit of road I can't see. Took several miles of driving round Taunton with Eddie adjusting the position of the camera until it was just right. It is not possible to judge the speed of approaching traffic so it's wait until nothing there & go.

My elder son says it's more reliable than his navigator who said 'All Clear' at a roundabout. He pulled out into the path of a car in my first coachbuilt. >:-)

Thanks very much for that Eric.

As one who still feels new to all of this ( only had my own 'van since March of this year) it is so good to be able to summon help from the likes of yourself, which justifies this excellent forum and , hopefully, defeats the efforts of the troll, who Brian calls 'the strange one',to turn us all against each other for some nameless purpose of his (or her?) own.

Best wishes,

Colin.

P.S. I think that you have probably managed to sum up most of my (buried) worries in just a few sentences!

Thanks again,

C.

I can’t make up my mind on this one. I’m hoping to full time soon and at the moment we do 2 - 4 month trips in Europe (off on Saturday whoopee!) and I’ve not had a problem with the RHD Kontiki. In fact as we end up down a lot of narrow roads it’s often I think easier as you can judge how far you are from the hedge / wall / frightened pedestrian when squeezing past oncoming traffic.

However I am considering getting a German van with a huge payload such as the Eura Mobil Activa 770HS (example here http://www.elite-motorhomes.co.uk/newused-73.html ) and I’m not sure if it would be better to find a UK one (like hens teeth) or pick one up in Germany. With the Euro being so bad would I get a better deal though and I presume a trade in on a RHD Kontiki would be impossible, not a problem Ill just sell it private back home.

Sorry to hijack the thread but it seems there are some knowledgeable people in this thread.

I agree about the feud. Enough now. Keep it on the original thread or pack it in.

EDIT. We will be in the Mosel and Rhine region next week. Any dealers worth having a look at?

Guest JudgeMental

I wold be very careful with a Euro..German dealer who offered decent PX said it WILL be wet (damp) as they "all are" I was a bit concerned by this, so had the yearly damp check service done 3 months earlier at Belgian dealer and it passed with flying colours...

You can imagine my shock when I turned up in Germany to do the deal, they tested my van in my presence and it was riddled with damp..so they had been right all along!

warranty was in place and deal still went through, but dealer was annoyed as he could not sell the van on imediatally..actually it has appeared yesterday on Mobile.de (nearly 2 months later so he was telling the truth!)

So once bitten twice shy..... be very careful....

JudgeMental - 2011-06-07 9:45 PM

I wold be very careful with a Euro..German dealer who offered decent PX said it WILL be wet (damp) as they "all are" I was a bit concerned by this, so had the yearly damp check service done 3 months earlier at Belgian dealer and it passed with flying colours...

You can imagine my shock when I turned up in Germany to do the deal, they tested my van in my presence and it was riddled with damp..so they had been right all along!

warranty was in place and deal still went through, but dealer was annoyed as he could not sell the van on imediatally..actually it has appeared yesterday on Mobile.de (nearly 2 months later so he was telling the truth!)

So once bitten twice shy..... be very careful....

So is this a noted problem with all Eura Mobils then? I thought the German vans were the bees knees. Thats one of the reasons I started looking at them because I thought I would be buying something a little more bullet proof than the Swift. Not to mention it has the rear lounge front dinette layout and loads of payload.

My wife can neither drive or read a map so its all down to me. When the time comes to overtake I simply take a good long look down the inside of the vehicle in front and if it looks OK I ease out and ask her if the road is clear. I then remind her that she gets it first. Had no problems up to now :-D

Dave

....that would be with the special damp tester that all dealers keep on one side for trade-ins (allegedly). 8-)

Guest JudgeMental
Robinhood - 2011-06-07 10:13 PM

....that would be with the special damp tester that all dealers keep on one side for trade-ins (allegedly). 8-)

Sorry robin butin this case you are wrong.....He could have told me deal was of, and be on my way (they are a very large concern) neither did he knock down the agreed price as you would kind off expect. He had said before seeing it that work could cost from 2- 9000 euro if damp..That is why I panicked and got it checked early!

But because warranty was in order (he checked with Euramobil directly) he stood by his offer and I was extremely relieved I can tell you...what an excellent dealer!

it was a proper professional meter with the 3 flat paddles and readings where all over the place, especially around the overhang and along the sides at low level..The chap doing the test pointed out to me the slight bulge all along lower walls...I had never noticed this before.

I have monitored his sales site and like I said earlier it has only appeared yesterday so must be back from the repair (have had van nearly 2 months...)

I for one will never have a coachbuilt again far to much grief IMO

Barryd999 - 2011-06-07 9:29 PM ............................ In fact as we end up down a lot of narrow roads it’s often I think easier as you can judge how far you are from the hedge / wall / frightened pedestrian when squeezing past oncoming traffic. ....................................

But do check the width of your KonTiki, because I think it may be narrower than most of the recent crop of European vans. The frequently quoted van width is now 2.3 metres, with newer ones coming in up to 2.35 metres. Most UK made vans have tended to be a bit narrower than that, mainly due to our generally narrower roads. You then need to allow for the extended arm mirrors they are equipped with which, because of their span, become very vulnerable on both sides when on narrower roads. Basically, you can either park the mirror on the front of the oncoming truck, or in the hedge! The really narrow, single track, roads aren't the worst problem, it's the minor roads with ditches both sides, and that nice fat cushion of tarmac with an abrupt drop of about 4"-6" down to the lip of the ditch, that are used as rat-runs by trucks in a hurry. Trying to keep half a nearside tyre on the tarmac, knowing if that half slips off you'll be in the ditch, tends to be a bit harsh on the undies, if you know what I mean! :-D

For dealers, why not have a look on mobile.de? Select the motorhomes site, put in your parameters for vans, and you can also select by regions. That should also give you an idea of what is around, where, and at what cost. A really good site.

Guest 1footinthegrave
As Brian say's, driving a RHD vehicle I am very concious of either the large ditches, or the "lip" of tarmac that can abruptly drop away. Further to that I have always been very aware on smaller roads of virtually driving in the gutter, to lessen my wife's involuntary gasps, or shouts of "how much of our bit of the road do they want". It's a tough one to call. I guess in part it is my fault because I do love to go off down some very minor roads just to see what's there. I will say to the guy thinking about the big tag axle, your a braver man than me, and some of the places we have been over the last five weeks in the Dordogne area in particular were even a challenge with our PVC at times. I don't know why they don't come up with a double decker van that's only 1.5 meters wide with bunk beds and the steering wheel in the centre ! ! :-)

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2011-06-08 6:53 AM

As Brian say's, driving a RHD vehicle I am very concious of either the large ditches, or the "lip" of tarmac that can abruptly drop away. Further to that I have always been very aware on smaller roads of virtually driving in the gutter, to lessen my wife's involuntary gasps, or shouts of "how much of our bit of the road do they want". It's a tough one to call. I guess in part it is my fault because I do love to go off down some very minor roads just to see what's there. I will say to the guy thinking about the big tag axle, your a braver man than me, and some of the places we have been over the last five weeks in the Dordogne area in particular were even a challenge with our PVC at times. :$

I did not realise you had a panel van...Is it another panel van you are contemplating? As the squirming fish (passenger on outer edge scenario) will happen here rather then abroad...But will be much better in a PVC.

Re my Euro all I know is the dealer was very experienced and absolutely spot on with his doubts regards my van..They are a large professional concern, I doubt he would say "they are all damp" without just cause. Now whether this is just their budget vans (profila etc...) or poor build extends to higher cost models who knows...

But I was totally shocked by this experience and suggest a proper test in your presence plus a few years on waterproof warranty before going ahead with one.....But I do like the bigger Euras lovely vans...

Guest 1footinthegrave
Yes we have an IH Savannah Tio, which is fabulous and almost perfect in every respect. We have had coachbuilts in the past, and despite saying I would not go back to one, things change and because now we have the opportunity to combine house sitting "jobs" with very much longer stays away from the UK, and the LHD conundrum in the mix I've got my eye on a Laika LHD with fixed bed ( second hand ). Oh decisions decisions. If I could afford to I'd keep our IH just in case in was the wrong move. (?)

Brian Kirby - 2011-06-08 12:18 AM

Barryd999 - 2011-06-07 9:29 PM ............................ In fact as we end up down a lot of narrow roads it’s often I think easier as you can judge how far you are from the hedge / wall / frightened pedestrian when squeezing past oncoming traffic. ....................................

But do check the width of your KonTiki, because I think it may be narrower than most of the recent crop of European vans. The frequently quoted van width is now 2.3 metres, with newer ones coming in up to 2.35 metres. Most UK made vans have tended to be a bit narrower than that, mainly due to our generally narrower roads. You then need to allow for the extended arm mirrors they are equipped with which, because of their span, become very vulnerable on both sides when on narrower roads. Basically, you can either park the mirror on the front of the oncoming truck, or in the hedge! The really narrow, single track, roads aren't the worst problem, it's the minor roads with ditches both sides, and that nice fat cushion of tarmac with an abrupt drop of about 4"-6" down to the lip of the ditch, that are used as rat-runs by trucks in a hurry. Trying to keep half a nearside tyre on the tarmac, knowing if that half slips off you'll be in the ditch, tends to be a bit harsh on the undies, if you know what I mean! :-D

For dealers, why not have a look on mobile.de? Select the motorhomes site, put in your parameters for vans, and you can also select by regions. That should also give you an idea of what is around, where, and at what cost. A really good site.

Cheers Brian

I think the Kontiki is either 7ft 4" or 7ft 6" which is in that ball park of about 2.3m or as near as dammit.

Will have a look at mobile.de. Im not serious about buying one while we are away but would just like to have a look. Judge has put me off Eura now a bit. I just want something thats built like a tank, got a rear lounge and front dinette and will take a scooter and rack. Not an easy find it seems. Im not fussed about driving a big tag axle or any length of van really. The width is a concern and for that reason I would rule out an RV. Point is we will always have a bike for exploring anyhow.

Good thread.

Guest JudgeMental

Barry, my intention was not to put anyone of. And you are considering a much higher spec and expensive van with better edge seals then the basic Profila range......the point of my post was to be extra cautious buying used, whatever make you decide to purchase. But I have no reason to disbelieve German dealers comments as he was not trying to trick me, far from it.......an absolute Gentleman

Take nothing for granted, and observe damp test on the van you are thinking about, carried out with proper equipment (not cheap 2 prong tester)

Barryd999 - 2011-06-08 9:10 AM............................. I just want something thats built like a tank, got a rear lounge and front dinette and will take a scooter and rack. Not an easy find it seems. ...................................Good thread.

What you are looking for, essentially, is a UK favoured layout, for which there is little demand elsewhere. If you want that layout you may find you are left with Hobson's choice outside the UK. I think it is our weather, often cool and breezy, not infrequently damp, that drives us indoors and makes that lounge, and the almost obligatory oven/grill unit, appealing. The same is true of houses. We value the lounge, usually with fitted carpets, and comfortable sofas. The older French houses I have been in don't have lounges, just large kitchen-diners, where the family spends most of its time either eating, talking, or watching telly, around the dining table.

I'm sure you will already have noticed this, but once you cross the channel, folk seem to spend more time outside their vans, or take their leisure around the dining table with that ever-present telly. To get the best choice from the vans available outside the UK, you may need to consider changing your pattern of living to a more continental model, and forget about lounges! :-)

We are entirely comfortable in a 6.0 metre van for 8-10 weeks or more at a time, and find it accommodates all our needs. We use sites, so that takes away some of the demands on space, and it is true the currently popular French van, much seen on aires as well as on sites, is around 7-7.5 metres (with consequently little payload at 3.5 tonnes!), but neither ours, nor its larger French counterpart, has a lounge as such - just the front Eurolounge living-dining space. To relax, we just park outside, and often eat outside, unless the weather is too unpleasant, which is not, generally, too often, once south of the Loire, or just go for an amble.

Oi! What happened to Darth thingy? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2011-06-08 12:10 PM

Barryd999 - 2011-06-08 9:10 AM............................. I just want something thats built like a tank, got a rear lounge and front dinette and will take a scooter and rack. Not an easy find it seems. ...................................Good thread.

What you are looking for, essentially, is a UK favoured layout, for which there is little demand elsewhere. If you want that layout you may find you are left with Hobson's choice outside the UK. I think it is our weather, often cool and breezy, not infrequently damp, that drives us indoors and makes that lounge, and the almost obligatory oven/grill unit, appealing. The same is true of houses. We value the lounge, usually with fitted carpets, and comfortable sofas. The older French houses I have been in don't have lounges, just large kitchen-diners, where the family spends most of its time either eating, talking, or watching telly, around the dining table.

I'm sure you will already have noticed this, but once you cross the channel, folk seem to spend more time outside their vans, or take their leisure around the dining table with that ever-present telly. To get the best choice from the vans available outside the UK, you may need to consider changing your pattern of living to a more continental model, and forget about lounges! :-)

We are entirely comfortable in a 6.0 metre van for 8-10 weeks or more at a time, and find it accommodates all our needs. We use sites, so that takes away some of the demands on space, and it is true the currently popular French van, much seen on aires as well as on sites, is around 7-7.5 metres (with consequently little payload at 3.5 tonnes!), but neither ours, nor its larger French counterpart, has a lounge as such - just the front Eurolounge living-dining space. To relax, we just park outside, and often eat outside, unless the weather is too unpleasant, which is not, generally, too often, once south of the Loire, or just go for an amble.

Oi! What happened to Darth thingy? :-D

Thanks Brian

In light of the recent unpleasentness I thought the Clanger might cheer people up more than the sinister Darth (Dark Side 8-) ) Avatar!

I started a new thread about our replacement van here http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=23901 didnt want to hijack this one.

See what your saying but we spend a lot of time away in Winter and I do work in the van so two separate lounging or sitting areas are a must.

I have driven probably over a couple of hundred thousand miles in Europe during the last 50 years & I would never consider LHD especially in a van.

I love the mountains, with RHD you know how close you can get to the edge when a large lorry or coach is thundering towards you.

I hired a car once from Palma airport and had not got a hundred yards when I lost a mirror, so I'll stay with what I feel safe in.

mikemelson - 2011-06-13 5:49 PM

,so I'll stay with what I feel safe in.

This I think is a valid point. Having a left hooker A Class for the last four years I feel really safe and have no problems switching from RHD to LHD (my job involves me driving RHD motorhomes most days). When we first bought our LHD Pilote if I'm honest I was a tad worried but maybe its the better all round vision with an A Class or maybe I adapt easily but I soon found it comfortable and safe. So to answer the original posters question best to go with what you feel safe driving, some it will suit ,others it may not

• 1 month later...

As I do as much driving on the continent as in UK, I considered it better to be disadvantaged in UK rather than on the continent.

Downsides in UK are some roundabouts but you quickly learn to approach at right angles and possibly overtaking large vehicles on single carriage roads - you can see over most cars. Your passenger becomes your eyes for difficult overtaking.

Advantages on the continent are an immediate familiarity with driving on the right and possibly not looking like a foreigner. Motorway toll booths are set for LHD.

I have a large Burstner A class and have covered thousands of miles in UK and on the continent, many of them through the Alps and Pyrenees with no problems. When the time comes to part with the Burstner I shall be looking for another LHD and hopefully another Burstner..

My choice for all driving is R/H every time, never had any difficulty on the continent, any sensible driver can spot you are a stranger and adjust, the same as we do here.

The main problem for me when hiring a L/H in the US has always been my eye position on the road, I tend to drift to the right due to my eyeline being used to R/H.

I have found its easiest with lots of traffic or none, with lots as in a town its follow the leader and if none your free to make errors.

I made a direction mistake in the mountains of the Pyrenes two years ago and ended up on roads only half a width wider than my van, straight up on my left, straight down on my right, no fences. R/H was extremely scary and I could see the edge, I think I would have died had I been L/H drive.

As a person with severe vertigo, the fear then, of potentially meeting a large truck on a bend remains with me today !!!!!!!!!

1foot, how's about a test drive or hiring a L/H for a day when on the continent, its all a matter of practice, the road rules are the same and most drivers are sensible.

art

Hi, I drive in Spain in l/h drive hire cars [10 years now]

;

My motorhome in the U.K. is L/H drive my car is R/H drive

The only problem I have found is if you get stuck behind a bus or truck you can,t overtake in the L/H drive motorhome until the road is clear but in the van it,s life in the slow lane anyway!

I chose L/H drive for the van as she will be going to Spain to live with us in the Costa Blanca.

So, it,s a yes from me!

Best Wishes Dave and "Big Olga"

Archived